The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Gecko help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scottishbluebird Posted - 18/06/2011 : 00:49:48
I blame people on here! i have fell in love with geckos, i am looking in to care for them, and from reading on here am i right in saying that Crested geckos dont need a heat mat as long as room is warm? but what about Wonder geckos do they need heat mat, Which if any would be best for the first time gecko? I am saving up just now, but really do want one they are just so adorable! Told the OH, he just shook his head, but didnt say anything.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 20/06/2011 : 16:00:30
when i had mine, i would feed him his crested gecko in the cage every day, and then once a month i would buy a pack of crickets for him, which would last about two weeks, and feed him them ever 2 days, with crested gecko in between, and then leave it a month and then the months after do that again as he loved crickets, but if he was fed them to often he refused his cgd and only wanted crickets. and then in the odd blue moon i would get a tub of wax worms which were his absoulte favourite and give him 1 a week.
MrsA82 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 15:53:12
They don't eat worms really. Hard to digest. Mine love crickets. But as they are on Eco earth, they have to be fed elsewhere. So it's very occasionally. But they eat the powdered crested gecko diet. Got everything they need in that. They also like fruit puree.such as mango, papaya, strawberries, and less often banana. They have a bit of multi vits and calcium in with the fruit. But fruit is only like once a week
kdlang Posted - 20/06/2011 : 14:48:50
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

They are lovely though, plus bonus of not having to have live food for them if you don't do bugs!!

Now I like the sound of that. It's the only thing that has put me off beardies and geckos. I think I could cope with wrigglies like meal worms but not the ones that jump like locusts and criks. What do you feed yours on?
MrsA82 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 08:10:06
Don't know, they arnt that 'wild' though 5 minutes handling 3 times a day -(after 2 week settling in period) does the job quite quickly.mour babies are 9 weeks and still tiny hoppy things but calmed down loads. But buying from pet shops, they are usually larger than ours
scottishbluebird Posted - 19/06/2011 : 22:57:48
The sock scent thing, would that work with a new gecko? dont want the poor thing to think im dafter than i already am!
scottishbluebird Posted - 19/06/2011 : 14:38:41
Never thought about pets at home, will check them out to, thanks!
MrsA82 Posted - 19/06/2011 : 14:33:24
Well it really varies, breeders anywhere £35+ to about £60 pets at home are £49, others local pet shops are £60. We were lucky our babies were given to us by a first time breeder, who just wanted to rehome them as he had more eggs due to hatch. Our adult pair were £100
scottishbluebird Posted - 18/06/2011 : 23:46:34
How much does a crestie usually go for, i have emailed where i got Kellogs, they are open on sunday, so he might get back to me tomorrow
lotabob Posted - 18/06/2011 : 23:24:20
They have a baby day Gecko for sale in my local shop for (are you sitting down) £78. Its gorgeous but I couldn't spend that on it.
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 21:03:52
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

Day geckos are gorgeous but am I right in thinking not great for handling??

that's true they're a display species really though i've heard of some people handling them, not generally recommended though

we've got a leo too, he's pretty sweet and straightforward to care for
scottishbluebird Posted - 18/06/2011 : 19:04:13
Thanks for all that guys, looks like when i am ready it will be a crestie! This site is a bad influence lol
nikki-il-lilly Posted - 18/06/2011 : 16:33:51
i was just readying about your gecko bug and we have 2 crested gekos which are great :)
MrsA82 Posted - 18/06/2011 : 16:12:40
yes I do have 4 lovely cresties..... Not forgetting the arrival of eggs any time now.... Nudge, nudge

They are lovely though, plus bonus of not having to have live food for them if you don't do bugs!!
lotabob Posted - 18/06/2011 : 14:40:58
I've got that bug too, I really want a crestie (I think MrsA32 is to blame). Just waiting to find a pretty one or maybe a pair.
MrsA82 Posted - 18/06/2011 : 12:07:54
We had leos, but now have crested. Love the fact they can climb their walls but yes if you have a warm room no extra heat is needed. They thrive at room temp. Anything above 28 is not good. So summer def not needed possibly just winter nights if it's cold. Day geckos are gorgeous but am I right in thinking not great for handling?? Gargoyles are gorgeous too xx
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 08:15:23
i got bitten by the gecko bug a few years ago and was torn between gargoyles and Day geckos, i eventually decided on the Day geckos as i'd get to see them during the day, and specifically the Madagascan's because of their size and availability
unfortunately my gecko knowledge is pretty limited and highly species-specific lol but i don't think cresties do need heat and they seem pretty popular and come in quite a range of morphs, i think a lot of people have them as first geckos if they don't want a leo

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000