The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 All chicken keepers.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 02/06/2011 : 17:36:07
We've just taken on another 10 hens, ex barn hens this time . They are in with our original girls and things are going better than I thought they would. The barn girls are reluctant to leave the coup because the battery girls chase them back in. I know this sort of thing is to be expected. But how long will the bickering go on for? Would it be better to shut them all out of the coup in the afternoons for a couple of hours or so
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 06/06/2011 : 12:00:02
Well things seem to be going pretty well. The battery girls have held their ground and are most certainly in charge. One of the barn girls has been allowed to join the battery group and mingles with them all the time now. Occasionally the other barn girls are chased back into the coup but not as frequently now. Its fascinating to watch them sort out the pecking order, lol, you can really see who is ranked highest and lowest, poor thing.
Sta~ple Posted - 05/06/2011 : 21:35:26
It depends on how easily the barn girls back down and even then, they may just still get chased. In our group there is always one chicken that gets picked on, the lowest of the pecking order it is just how it is. Sometimes its because the chicken just never back downs and other times the chicken just forgets it's place. Normally the rowst is over within 2 weeks though. If there is blood though, it maybe best to seperated during the day and introducduce them at night to the sleeping quarters, they never bicker then.
animalcrazy Posted - 03/06/2011 : 15:24:27
I would love to keep chickens but don't have enough space and have ex racing greyhounds who are a bit keen on that kind of thing. I can't give you any advice but would love to see some pictures :)
My friend has a few chickens and they are so friendly, I know she found some of the chicken keeping forums really helpful.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000