The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 possible break through?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mamma Posted - 13/05/2011 : 13:32:31
I do hope you don't mind me posting this in here too.. I have posted it on the Royal forum but I find there is alot more traffice in TCS. (Please feel free to delete this post if you feel it needs deleting )

Well I have had Rocco now for 3 weeks. I was told he feeds fine... however I was told he was about 18 months old. I perhaps think he is younger than that. I weighed him last week and he is 337g, and he's not that long length wise. So I suspect he is quite young.

I have tried twice to feed him but he was not interested and shied away from the feed completely. I left the feed for him etc over night and he just wouldnt eat.

I read up on here about possible things to help them settle in more, in hopes of getting him to feed, and so came across a post which suggested covering him in darkness...hopefully letting him settle. So I did this and left him for a week.

Today I tried again to feed him. I immediately saw a difference in the feed this time as he was sniffing the rat pup and follwing it. Then BAM he struck! But then he spat it out He started shying away again, and so I sliced the rat pup slightly at the neck after reading that suggestion here in the forums. He has started sniffing it etc again.

After an hr of him sniffing etc he seems to have given up again I have put it into his dark hide he likes to sleep in and I have covered him up again into darkness. Hopefully he may go back to it.

I got a photo of him with it in his mouth but I apologise as he caught me off guard and its a little blurry This surely is a step forward?

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mamma Posted - 13/05/2011 : 23:54:11
Thank you K xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 13/05/2011 : 23:47:36
The joys of royal ownership.
The royal I had for a while didn't eat until it was left in a opaque box with some aspen, a hide in the warm end and a water bowl in the cool end.
Unfortunately there's no real science to royals, they can just be fussy little things. Time and patience will do it. I've known some to still be fine and healthy with only eating twice in a year.
Mamma Posted - 13/05/2011 : 23:19:12
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

maybe try not to handle him in between feeds as that can put them off - my Little One doesn't feed well after being handled a lot, this is one of the *joys* of being a royal keeper.. can be a right pain in the rear to get feeding and keep feeding!
how many hides does he have? might be worth seeing if you can really make his current home as cosy as possible.. my two have tonnes of hides and plants in their vivs to try and give them extra cover so they don't feel so open,
i did find that heating the rat/mouse with a hairdryer and blowing the scent towards the vivs helped

I havent been handling him at all just now, I have just been leaving him to it

He currently has 3 hides, one in the cool end, one in the warm end and a long large hamter cardboard tube thing in the middle that he curls up in. He also has jungle vines covering most of the aspen too. Thanks for the advice! I will try the hair dryer idea!
Invalid User Posted - 13/05/2011 : 19:00:38
Yeah, thats a good point about the housing. I just remebered what I also tried with mine. I put her into a much smaller tub. Probably around 4L size and she lived in that! The few times she did feed for me where actually after I moved her to the smaller tub.
HannahB Posted - 13/05/2011 : 18:39:53
maybe try not to handle him in between feeds as that can put them off - my Little One doesn't feed well after being handled a lot, this is one of the *joys* of being a royal keeper.. can be a right pain in the rear to get feeding and keep feeding!
how many hides does he have? might be worth seeing if you can really make his current home as cosy as possible.. my two have tonnes of hides and plants in their vivs to try and give them extra cover so they don't feel so open,
i did find that heating the rat/mouse with a hairdryer and blowing the scent towards the vivs helped
Mamma Posted - 13/05/2011 : 17:46:39
Thanks stapey
Sta~ple Posted - 13/05/2011 : 16:39:20
I remember my baby corns doing this all last year! It's a case of feeding them in a nice warm, drak quite place and not peeking for a good few hours! I hope for next time he feeds for you!
Mamma Posted - 13/05/2011 : 14:33:05
Im hopeful that if he doesnt take this one, next week may possibly be more eventful
Invalid User Posted - 13/05/2011 : 14:31:22
Royals are such a pain lol

My girl did this to me quite a few times.

Hopefully he will eat for you soon.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000