The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 oh boy...or should i say boa !

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 04/05/2011 : 16:12:31

im falling in love with boa's , damn u youtube stop allowing people to put their lovely boa's on there! lol ! i now want one. quite badly . ugh here we go again ! my other half likes them too , but doesnt want one to get too big . can anyone reccomend any ? also ive heard they need high humidity and some say they dont , so what viv ? would a wooden one do ? i kno they are prone to warping , im not as sold on the idea of rubs , but i kno it would makes things easier than having to get lights etc and another viv . all i owuld need is a mat and stat and bingo . if any one can share some boa knowledge.......
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 08/05/2011 : 18:09:42
I have only had my boas for a couple of months now but so far from my experience I would say this:

I agree 100% about the power and the bite of boas, they are very strong physicaly, and very strong willed too. If a boa doesn't want to go back into it's viv you need both hands, maybe an extra pair too to get it back lol Obviously with that amount of power and a good set of teeth, yes a bite from one is gonna hurt.

I disagree about dwarfs being more nippy, from my own experience. My Crawl Cay has never nipped, never struck out at me, never hissed at me. My Hogg Island has been a bit hissy and viv defensive but regular handling and being confident with her has changed that. She's great now.

You have to be confident whe it comes to boas, they are smart and if your scared, they know.

Oh and out and about more with better feeding response.......KING SNAKE!!
Laws Posted - 08/05/2011 : 18:00:08
update .... went to prestwood this afternoon and handled a 4/5 foot common male, boy was he strong . i think its frightened the missus :( the guy in prestwood is really great , altho it seemed like he was talking us out of gettin one . mentioning the power with the bites u can get and the bruises that they can give wen they pack a punch . that if they have a strop on them u can have abit of a battle . he mentioned that dwarfs are more nippy most of the time and he sold one to someone a year ago and she said even to this day she has to be so careful going into their viv . he also said commons are more docile than dwarfs . has anyone got any opinions that can back this up ? or disagree ?

we are now not 100 % sure to get one or not :/ however we would like a snake abit more out going and less timid than another royal with a better feeding response ? any ideass? thanks guys :)
Laws Posted - 06/05/2011 : 00:22:02
hey danny , i think we have settle on the compramise of a crawl cay :) any ewa on those babies that u were on about ? prices etc ?
reptiledanny Posted - 05/05/2011 : 19:10:52
hoggs can, if you look at some of the videos they can get to about the thickness of a thigh on your leg
crawl cays dont get as big or as thick
Laws Posted - 04/05/2011 : 23:16:45
my other concern is the thickness , do they get really chunky ?
Laws Posted - 04/05/2011 : 22:14:54
can u tell me more about urs ? ive seen vids and stuff , but im trying to do as much research as possible before i put my case together for the missus's verdict hehe !
mikeyd_26 Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:59:47
hogg island defo! they seem 2 be taking over! and rightly so there a great snake to keep and stunning to look at :)
Laws Posted - 04/05/2011 : 20:53:50
i was thinking that after looking at yours lou . size i dont mind as much with , being taller by the missus is little hereself and im not sure she would manage a big one . i just love the albino coloubrians tho , they are gorgeous . out of those two lou which do u prefer ? those are te two we have almost narrowed it down to in terms of size see
Invalid User Posted - 04/05/2011 : 18:13:34
If size is an issue what about a hogg island or even smaller a crawl cay. Both are great :D
Laws Posted - 04/05/2011 : 17:54:17
i think its just which type , i do like commons but worry they may get too big , how have u found ur commons ? easy despite size ? thanks for the link will have a look
gingerpony Posted - 04/05/2011 : 17:50:34
i keep Dumerils, common morphs and Argentine crosses
the Dumerils and Argentines are classed as medium sized, averaging about 6-8ft but can do 9-10ft

their care is very similar to a corn except maintaining the cool end temps a bit higher (easy when you use a ceramic/AHS/Rep Rad or something that heats the air) and they actually make good beginner snakes if you're prepared and have researched their adult size

have a lookie on here for locality sizes and captive availability
Laws Posted - 04/05/2011 : 17:23:36
i have been looking at normals albino columbrians is what initially made me start looking into them . braziian rainbow boa's i wouldnt want as the humidity for viv is too high . i would like one thats manageable , im 5'8 so its not so bad for me , but my other half is 5'2 and somehow watching her with a 7-8 footer altho amusing , wouldnt work for us . if we had a normal males grow smaller , ive looked at dwarfs , but they stil reach 6 foot . am i rite in thinking a viv around 4x2x2 would be suitable for a 6 foot male ? have u got any suggestions or expriences with them ? i want to research it as much as poss see
gingerpony Posted - 04/05/2011 : 17:05:01
'boa care'.........there's so many sub-species it's impossible to say for example, "their humidity should be XX%"

what sort of boa's have you seen that you like?

i'm kinda biased though, i have boa love

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000