The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Attention all Hogg Island Boa owners please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vivtastic Posted - 02/05/2011 : 16:58:46
I will be getting a Hogg Island Boa in June and was wondering what have you found are the definate do's and dont's with this particular snake. Any tips and pointers would be great to hear.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikeyd_26 Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:44:17
dont say to your OH nah he wont bite even tho he's blue! was totally my own fault but they got a good nip! apart from that i'd say the weeks hands off period is important as both of mine were fussy eaters to begin with (personal experience)
uma and bill Posted - 04/05/2011 : 15:38:53
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

HAHA Lou I said about the eyes too and I hadn't seen your reply until I submitted mine. Clever little snakes aren't they.

Its very true about their eyes I have noticed it with Angelica she is always watching everything around her and is very nosey.
reptiledanny Posted - 02/05/2011 : 20:15:28
i did lol, have seen them at double that, so i soon as i saw my beautiful girl for sale i had to have her, and then i noticed the price and my chin just hit the floor, i would have payed double for her, as she is well worth it.
vivtastic Posted - 02/05/2011 : 20:12:00
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

she is a 2010 born female, but quite small, i was expecting her to bigger when i got her as she was born 17 july 2010, but is still a tiny likle baby
i payed £80 for her of some guy from rfuk in sheffield

Cheers for that, sounds like you got a real bargin.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
reptiledanny Posted - 02/05/2011 : 19:33:03
she is a 2010 born female, but quite small, i was expecting her to bigger when i got her as she was born 17 july 2010, but is still a tiny likle baby
i payed £80 for her of some guy from rfuk in sheffield
vivtastic Posted - 02/05/2011 : 18:44:16
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

i have only had my hogg since last thursday, but like scuba sed, they do like to climb, i have 2 large exo terra plants hanging down in the viv, alaong with some bamboo going across the viv and a big branch with lots of other branches, then 2 hides at the bottom. i dont think she has actually come out of the plants dangling down apart from when she went her warm hide. i cannot wait for her to settle in and start being more active and being able to be handled

Was it a baby you got, if you don't mind me asking where did you buy her from and how much did she cost.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
reptiledanny Posted - 02/05/2011 : 18:07:16
i have only had my hogg since last thursday, but like scuba sed, they do like to climb, i have 2 large exo terra plants hanging down in the viv, alaong with some bamboo going across the viv and a big branch with lots of other branches, then 2 hides at the bottom. i dont think she has actually come out of the plants dangling down apart from when she went her warm hide. i cannot wait for her to settle in and start being more active and being able to be handled
scubadude Posted - 02/05/2011 : 17:24:48
do's an don'ts
do plenty of research, there are quite a number of sites that will give you tips and pointers on husbandry for these animals, as Lou and Bob have said, confidence is key with these guys if they hiss at you when you go to handle them, as the saying goes' keep calm and carry on'
Don't forget when young these guys like to climb, and also are fans of sitting out in the open so some sort of platform is a good idea.

Good luck with your new charge, and looking forward to pics in june when you get him/her home
lotabob Posted - 02/05/2011 : 17:10:08
HAHA Lou I said about the eyes too and I hadn't seen your reply until I submitted mine. Clever little snakes aren't they.
lotabob Posted - 02/05/2011 : 17:09:09
I would say as long as you have researched them, know their temperature requirements, and are prepared for a baby one to potentially be a bit hissy and possibly nippy (though I haven't found either but was prepared) and also understand that as adults they are smaller than common Boas but they are still a good size of around 6 foot (ish) and been a Boa they are very strong then your all set.

I've loved every second of having my new Hogg, docile but very alert, and the way the eyes move just show its always thinking and working things out. Im having to be very careful though, she's trying very hard to be my favourite snake.
Invalid User Posted - 02/05/2011 : 17:03:33
One thing I had to learn, don't be scared if they are hissy and strike out! Be confident and handle them. You don't want a hissy adult boa who knows you are scared of it. They are clever, very clever, you can see it in there eyes!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000