The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Spotted Python

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ptmbradley Posted - 01/05/2011 : 07:53:11
Hi gang,

does anyone know much about this particular python? After going shopping for a corn yesterday, my gf came home with one after the guy in the shop said their care was no different to corn snakes.

But having done some research when we got home it seems that their needs are NOT the same. They apparently need a slightly warmer warm end and a much warmer cool end! Warm is around 30-32 and cool should be around 26-27.

If anyone has any knowledge of the spotted python I would very much appreciate your advice on heating a cool end, the enclosure you use and anything else you can think of that's different to corns!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Pete
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ptmbradley Posted - 01/05/2011 : 16:02:07
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

while it's small enough to be in a RUB i'd just use a heatmat and not worry too much about cool end temps, when it's gets bigger (not that they get huge lol) i'd use a wooden viv (retain heat better and temps stay more stable) with a ceramic bulb on a pulse or a dimmer stat

that's what we've done with our little carpet 'Tidjy'........will ask my OH dazb what he thinks though, he's well into Autralian pythons for some bizarre freaky reason

Cheers for the advice and asking your fella GP. Much appreciated.

I'm not overly concerned for the time being about cool end, coz the way I see it if the snake gets too cold it'll just spend more time in the warm end. But as it is she seems to be quite happy in her cool hide anyway. I just want to find out a bit about humidity. With the slightly warmer warm end I've noticed the rub has misted up a bit. Not sure if that could be an issue or if the snake appreciates it or what. If it's too humid I guess I just need to punch in a few more air holes.

Anyway, thanks again and look forward to hearing what your OH has to say.
gingerpony Posted - 01/05/2011 : 12:30:53
while it's small enough to be in a RUB i'd just use a heatmat and not worry too much about cool end temps, when it's gets bigger (not that they get huge lol) i'd use a wooden viv (retain heat better and temps stay more stable) with a ceramic bulb on a pulse or a dimmer stat

that's what we've done with our little carpet 'Tidjy'........will ask my OH dazb what he thinks though, he's well into Autralian pythons for some bizarre freaky reason
ptmbradley Posted - 01/05/2011 : 11:46:23
Well it was more than a pet shop, it was Lost World Reptiles which has a good rep. Which is why I trusted what he was saying. Have now joined the 'aussiesnake' forum and have asked there, as well as obviously searching for things myself. The snake will be ok in a corn setup it seems, but it isn't ideal so will work to improve things.
Ailsa Posted - 01/05/2011 : 11:24:04
Beautiful snake but except watching programmes about snakes in the wild i know nothing about keeping spotted pythons.

As Lou said doing your research is so important and def shame on the pet shop for selling you him without you knowing anything about them. The rep shop where i got my corn and where im getting my next 2 would not have sold me my corn if he wasn't happy in the research id done, so i could take proper care of snakie. Indeed, Typical pet shop just after a quick sale.
Invalid User Posted - 01/05/2011 : 11:04:28
I don't know a thing about them.

I suggest you just search the net and take advice from lots of different sources and see what they say.

Research is so important and shame on the petshop for allowing you to take home this python without you knowing anything about them. Was it more expensive than the corn you wanted by any chance? Typical pet shop just after a quick sale most probably!!
ptmbradley Posted - 01/05/2011 : 08:45:39
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

if you use a method of heating that heats the air (eg. a ceramic/IR bulb) rather than a mat you'll find the cool end temp also raises

no experience with spotteds though, sorry

Cheers GP. I had a rub all set up and ready for a corn so been frantically trying to get clued up on spotteds coz I never even heard about them until yesterday! Would never normally jump in without research but like I said we were told their care was the same...

Can I use a bulb with a rub and if so how how would I go about it?
gingerpony Posted - 01/05/2011 : 08:30:50
if you use a method of heating that heats the air (eg. a ceramic/IR bulb) rather than a mat you'll find the cool end temp also raises

no experience with spotteds though, sorry

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000