The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Ex-battery hens

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 07/02/2011 : 21:04:31
I know staple and maybe others have some hens, so i'm after some advice. My 13 year old son has some ex battery hens and are having problems with scaley leg mites. The legs on one, Pauline, are very bad. He has tried the sprays for this but does not have much effect. Can any of you suggest a really good, effective way of treating this? If we can't get them better than I fear we may have to have her PTS. This would be heart breaking as she is so friendly. Infact they all are
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
noola Posted - 08/02/2011 : 14:53:13
Hi i also had a rescue with leg mites and also used the spray, and vasoline does a really good job .You have to be persistant though it takes a while.
Sta~ple Posted - 07/02/2011 : 21:35:54
Never tried the spray, now I know not to use :D Once they have it, it will need regular treatment I'm afraid for the rest of their lives probably. Some of our girls suffer really bad form it, as in the scales fall off and bleed a bit. Others don't get it at all as far as we can tell! We treat bad chickens feet once a week, ones not so bad don' get it as often.

We do our girls with vaseline, we rub it in their feet, it makes a barrier and so kinda suffocates the mites. Olive oil is also recommended (or nay cooking oil that you can apply with a brush!) and something we may try next :) or we will try and make the Vaseline more runny!

This is the link my b/f found one the tinternet when we were looking for cures, we didn't like the idea or using the frontline or anything with chemicals were not sure of, don't want their foots to sting.
http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1226

Our vet also approved of vaseline and oil :)

Edit: Chickens don't have good blood flow to the legs which means legs can take ages to heal up. There also might be a combination of treatmets you prefer online. So many that people claim to work, one of them has got to work.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000