The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 -Any mammys on here that can help me!?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Katie.Dublin Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:05:28
So as a few of you may remember, i posted an ad on here from Donedeal.ie before christmas. It was for a red tailed boa, 3 years old.
I rang the owner and made plans to buy him at the end of december. So the day before i was due to drive up with my sister and collect him, i said to my mother, ''Im getting a new snake tomorrow! :)''
.......To which she replied. ''No. You really aren't, you have enough reptiles!!!''

So that is my dilemma! Naturally i bought him anyway! But at the moment, he is in my sister's boyfriends house, nearly an hour away! (hardly ideal) Thankfully he has been looking after him perfectly for me, but i'd like to get him home!

Any Mammys on here? How would YOU be persuaded..? Also, would you be angry if you came home from holidays and there was a five foot boa upstairs? Because that's my plan B!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lucy1012 Posted - 01/04/2011 : 13:50:26
hahaha this made me chuckle, I am a mum, but it is my husband I have to convince. I have just moved Luna in to a 2ft viv and have left the empty faunarium on the top just so he gets used to it being there... for when my next snake comes home... i did think about sneeing some chickens into the back garden but figured i wouldn't get away with that for very long. I can see his point we have a vast amount of animals and he only ever agreed to the first one lol.. hope it goes well for you..
Kat Posted - 26/03/2011 : 00:07:22
What exactly are your mum's concerns about another snake? Is it a concern about another snake or about a boa specifically? I know when we got our first, one thing that H (10 - the mini-herper) had to consider is that snakes live a long time, so who was going to be responsible for it when she headed off for college / uni, 'cause she wouldn't be able to take it with her. TBH I'm happy to look after the kids animals when they're away but I wanted her to realise that she had to think in terms of decades, not months.

I know you're older than her so maybe your mum is still worried about being in a position where she has to look after a boa if / when you leave home. A lot of people hear 'boa' and think '18 foot anaconda', and don't realise what is and isn't involved. Maybe if you explain exactly what you have planned for the next few years, what your intentions would be should you suddenly decide that you want to move to Australia, who would look after it if you weren't able to for whatever reason. Print off a care sheet so she can see what the care differences are between your corn and a boa, probably not as much as she thinks

Personally I wouldn't just move the snake in and hope for the best. Even though you'd probably get away with it, it would damage the level of trust between you and your mum, and that's something very hard to get back afterward One thing tho, does your mum know what a boa looks like? You could just say another dwarf snake and not actually point out in words of one syllable that it's a boa. Like I said, a lot of ppl hear the word 'boa' and think 'man eating monster'!

HTH!
Lealou1 Posted - 25/03/2011 : 23:40:03
I'm a young mummy
We already have 2 cats, jaffa cake (ginger) n Oreo (black n white)
2gold fish that my son named nemo n nemo lol
N a corn snake that my son calls "Blake" as he cannot say snake lol so that will prob be it's name

My only issue with pets is I only take on pets that I can care for, if my son wanted a pet then he better look after it,

So sneak it in n prove u can look after it
Mamma Posted - 24/03/2011 : 08:46:55
Im terrible and if my kids want a pet I give in and let them. But that is because I often want too! LOL. I havent told my mother about my snake yet... and Im 28. I dont plan on telling her... my kids will tell on me anyway ;) hahahaha.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 17:05:55
get her tickets to a live show of one of her idols, while shes out, move the snake in, your mum wont notice as she would`ve had to much of a gd time ;)
wimp Posted - 24/02/2011 : 22:19:32
mmmmm im a mummy bt not much help i originally got a snske for my son now iue got 6 oops lol but good luck
jonoandapril Posted - 11/02/2011 : 16:21:20
i have a similar problem with my wife! i got a royal last week and managed to sneak it into the house while she was on facebook (totaly absorbed as usual!) and set the faunarium up inbetween my two corn's vivs. she didnt realise for ages and by then it was to late! muhahaha! i just told her that it would be cruel to take the royal back after she'd spent a day at our place settling in to a bigger enclosure than she had at the shop. however, she is a snake lover to so she was won over easily. she had just wanted me to wait a couple of months before getting the royal. get your snake in and let it lay low, then pull the 'its settled here now and its harsh to move it' card. worked on my wife (who acts like shes my mum). :P
Katie.Dublin Posted - 05/02/2011 : 10:47:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I had a corn that was bigger than that boa.
It's not unheard of for corns to get bigger than that boa is at the moment..............

it's thicker than my arm!! And I don't have weedy girl arms either. That's not my point anyways. She's not scared of snakes so it's not the size that's bothering her. She just has a notion in her head now that she doesn't want another one !
mrdoob420 Posted - 05/02/2011 : 00:41:18
ive just got my corn snake and you have no idea of the troubles ive had to get a little hatchling what i do is well i bribe her i suppose,say you will do something for it... i had to wash the car once a week for to whole months!!! as i love snakes.. well i want another one or a few hundred haha i hopeing she will grow to like it and let me have another!!!
Kehhlyr Posted - 05/02/2011 : 00:26:38
I had a corn that was bigger than that boa.
It's not unheard of for corns to get bigger than that boa is at the moment..............
Katie.Dublin Posted - 05/02/2011 : 00:06:19
The only prob with that is the fact that i am the only person i know, with anything more exotic than a terrapin! I could say it's a foster from the owners of the pet shop that i have got to know... make up a silly excuse about it not eating and i had to keep it a while or something...!! A plan must be made!
Mort13 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 23:58:24
Right,so your mums not well up on snakes so she won't know this is the one you she said you couldn't buy.
This is where the *rescue* story comes in. Or....what about you saying you'll count it as an early Xmas/Birthday pressie. The only cost to them is letting you keep it?
If it makes you feel any better,I really want another corn and maybe an MBK or house snake but I've got to ask permission off my landlords.....and I'll be 37 in a few weeks.
One of mine might have to be a rescue PMSL!!
n/a Posted - 04/02/2011 : 23:17:51
Know how you feel I got 2 more snakes today I'm not looking forward to telling my mum tomorrow and I'm 38 lol!
Katie.Dublin Posted - 04/02/2011 : 22:03:40
She isn't easily fooled, nor is my father.. And when they team up they're LETHAL! hahaha buying the boa was still the right thing to do ;) I'll stand by that lol
Sta~ple Posted - 04/02/2011 : 19:23:38
She's going to notice sooner or later, you should just tell her :/ Sneaking pets in never works and it makes parents even ore angry than if you just tell them. And then just use one of newbies stories! XD
Katie.Dublin Posted - 04/02/2011 : 19:13:52
My plan originally was just to rock up with it! But my sister made me tell the mother, and it really didnt go down well! She isnt very well up on snakes, Mort. Like she'll hold them no problem, she wouldnt be nervous of them but she doesn't know how to look after them or anything. I really don't know what to do!

Kehhlyr, 5 foot isnt extraordinarily big i agree, but its a far more substantial snake than a corn, and it won't be 5 foot forever! I think my best bet is to wait till she's away for a few days and bring him home! He can live in my sister's room in the converted attic because she'll definitely notice him in my room! Poor old Luigi, he must be feeling terribly unloved. I'll be feeling equally unloved when she discovers him though! But there won't be a whole lot she can do i don't think... she doesn't have any snake friends that she can pawn him off to lol.

I'm sure once she gets a big strong cuddle off him she'll grow to love him ;)
Newbie Posted - 04/02/2011 : 17:27:10
Well I'm not a mammy, but I've so far managed to bring 8 animals into the household, all of which I was told not to in no uncertain terms!

My secret?

I'm a shameful manipulator and will make use of all tricks, including "She's a rescue and has had a terrible life, can't understand why people hate her so much..." to "He can stay with my friend but she plays loud music. Guess it'll be ok, but they regurgitate a lot if they're stressed, just have to hope he doesn't. What would happen if he did? It could stress him so much he might pass away."

Now this isn't a nice way to get what you want and I am fully and deeply ashamed of my behaviour...but it is great being able to have pets Generally my parents come to love the animals to so it isn't too bad x
Sta~ple Posted - 04/02/2011 : 12:12:46
Well I managed to just persuade my mum for another snake... but that was only really due to his colour and his name lol! With my dad I just said as long as it's in my room and stays there I don't see your problem XD
ozziesmum Posted - 04/02/2011 : 11:24:55
I'm not much help either as I'm the worst culprit going and I am the mum, how do you think I got my 2.
Mort13 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 07:56:02
Oh dear,thats awkward one!!
In a way it would have been better if you'd never said you were getting one. I know I would be overly happy if my kids brought an animal home without asking for permission first,but they'd be able to get round me.
Bringing an animal home after I'd said "No,you can't have it" would REALLY annoy me though. Although I'd most likely let them keep it as I'm a bit soft.
Is your mum very well up on snakes? If not what about saying you've got a friend who needs their snake looking after for a while for some reason and you'd really like to help them out. You look after their snake (yours really) and their situation doesn't improve so then you ask if you can keep it?

Good luck. Hope you work something out.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000