The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Red Tail Boa issue...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
taz666 Posted - 29/08/2010 : 15:58:10
Hey guys, this could be a long one! haha

Got a bit of a predicament with a boa my brother in law is keeping at the moment. He only got it a week ago, but I don't think his previous owner was looking after him right..

The snake's only 6 months old, so he's relatively small. I handled him and he's the most placid snake I've ever seen! Lovely little thing he is :D but my brother in law don't know anything about keeping snakes, as he bought the snake on impulse then rang me! I don't know much about boa care though to be honest, so I'm only going on what I know about corns...

But there's been a few issues with his health. I tried to feed him yesterday as brother in law wouldn't do it! He didn't eat. So I checked over the viv etc and realised the flaming heatmat wasn't even on!! Brother in law said he thought it was, but there was no fuse in the plug! That means the snake has gone a week with no heatsource, now that's worrying... And the previous owner said she didn't use the mat all the time, just occasionally when it was cold! And she hadn't realised that there was no fuse, so god knows how long he's gone without heat.. Also, he's started shedding, but it's only come out in little bits, bits of the old skin are still attatched, it's hard to explain, I'll try and get pics if you need them :) I wonder if this is because of the no heat thing?? And could this be because of lack of humidity? And also his skin looks like it's all wrinkly. I read somewhere that they should have this, I don't know whether that's minor or major :s but like I said, I don't know enough about them, I've been doing some research, but wondered if you guys could help. He's got heat now, and there's higher humidity for him. But he don't have a stat on at the moment, and I've no money to buy my brother in law one, and he don't know what he's looking for... there's also no thermometer! And I know that too hot can be just as bad as too cold! What temps to boas keep at? Plus, the heat mat doesn't cover alot of the viv, it's tiny, so he'll need a bigger one...

I'm just really worried cos I don't want his health to suffer, and I don't know if what I'm doing is right. HELP! Please Thanks for reading all that haha x
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
princessbroxy Posted - 21/09/2010 : 14:35:51
really happy your getting the boa now...how is the little guy doing?
mikerichards Posted - 09/09/2010 : 21:54:40
Live feeding is an issue that you can overcome with relative ease, boas are really good feeders generally and when hungry enough they will eat.
The thing is, if his temps and habitat aren't right, he's not gonna want to feed much anyway. With that in mind its perhaps going to be more productive not to feed him at all for a couple of weeks whilst the temps get back up to what he would be happy with. Once temps are up you may find he is more active, and perhaps becomes aggressive, but that will pass.
Also, if he is underweight, then live feeding is possibly a good way to get the weight back on, seeing as he is already used to and happy to feed that way.
The main thing to do is get him back to yours and get his environment sorted, then worry about feeding.
My number is in my profile, if you need help, ring me.
taz666 Posted - 09/09/2010 : 21:05:39
omg thank you so much, that's really helpful :D I will remember all that, and get what I need to help him.. and see how it goes :) thanks again x
p.s. apparently he only eats live food, and I don't really wanna keep him that way, how can I make it so he takes dead ones? Tried feeding him a dead mouse couple of week ago, but no joy..
mikerichards Posted - 09/09/2010 : 00:43:44
Dehydration is a fairly easy fix, snakes can absorb water through their skin, so a good misting, raise the humidity, regular baths can help.
Bathing is something they dont particularly like, but sounds like a necessary evil.
another good way is using something like powerade, that has a lot of good stuff in it (its too late to think of the right things!!) that will help rehydrate.
Dont go too mad with the misting, the last thing you need is an RI, its very different in boas than to corns.
the main thing is to get the snake back, even if it involves your brother losing consciousness.
Boas are a very easy snake to keep once the environment is right, or within a margin of right.
i really suggest using a bulb, on a dimmer, as that will give the right AIR temp for the snake, dont forget, being a tropical animal, the air temp will be quite high, as would the humidity, but dont bother about that, they dont really need it as such.
A dimmer at about 29 degrees for the first week will be a good start, then up to about 32 from then on, a good 60w reflector bulb will give a good heat spread in the viv, and a really good hot spot for basking. Basking temps can be really hot, like 40 degrees up, mine have a basking spot of about 42 degrees, and they love it. A good sign of a well set up viv, temp wise, is the snakes constantly moving about, not staying at the hot end, and not staying at the cold end.
Using a bulb will give you a really good spread of temps across the viv, a heatmat just cannot give you that, ever, no matter what you do with it.
you can use a ceramic if you so wish, but its cheaper and just as effective to use a bulb.
Use a red bulb, red is beyond their vision spectrum, so it wont bother them at all. obviously a guard is essential, they WILL climb on it.
Try not to be tempted to give the snake a huge water bowl that it can soak in, atleast not yet, something like a food bowl for small animals is ideal to begin with. keep handling to a minimum, at least until the snake is feeding and re hydrated properly, a grumpy boa is not something you want to be playing with, i can assure you of that!!! if you wanna know what its like, see my 'happy boa' thread!!
FiestaSTLou Posted - 08/09/2010 : 21:50:58
so glad your finally getting it, hoping for the best.
taz666 Posted - 08/09/2010 : 20:26:54
I'm getting the boa this weekend... if it's not too late for the poor thing I'm gonna try and save it.. any ideas on how to help his dehydration??? Thanks x
princessbroxy Posted - 03/09/2010 : 21:10:37
What a nob grrr I'm just a little concerned that he would harm the snake rather than letting to rspca take it away as it sounds like he has no morals or respect for the poor animal...but well done for trying your best taz.
mikerichards Posted - 03/09/2010 : 19:26:38
Send me an email, i will let keith know. i will put you in touch with him, he will get in touch with your local guy, and he will be dealt with.
Annoyingly, the rspca cannot do anything without the police being involved. In which case, it might be worht saying to your brother in law that you are going to contact the rspca and the police in a view to having the snake seized. He will also most likely get prosecuted too. maybe some scare tactics will work.
gmac Posted - 03/09/2010 : 18:41:48
Taz your brother in law is an idiot, I think its time to take mikes offer of the number of the guy at the RSPCA, the snake cant go on like this an is being treated cruelly in my opinion. Taz you have tried to sort it out but he is more interested in the money than the snakes welfare he must be reported now and get the snake off his hands and somewhere where it will be looked after,
taz666 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 18:35:07
I don't know what on earth is happening now... I don't have the snake here, because my brother in law is being an asshole, and doesn't want to just give me the snake now... he wants me to pay 100 quid for the snake aswell and all the equipment, which I can't and won't do. So frustrated. He's being such a ****. But it's out of my power now :( the snake won't last much longer, and I cant do anything to help it! All because he cares more about money than the welfare of an animal!
mikerichards Posted - 03/09/2010 : 06:18:09
Running a ceramic without a stat is not the best idea, not only that but ceramics need a specific holder, a normal bulb holder is not gonna withstand the heat for long.
If your gonna go down that road, use a normal bulb on a dimmer switch, a bulb will blow at a much lower temp than a ceramic.

Comparing a boa to a milksnake is pointless, boss are tropical and milksnakes are sub tropical, a boa would survive maybe a day or two here, its way too cold even on a good day!
n/a Posted - 03/09/2010 : 01:24:12
First of all calm down youve done well so far taking the snake for yourself.Its mid summer so not exactly freezing cold if you cant afford all the gear see if you can buy a 60 or 100 watt ceramic heater you wont need a stat for that size in a big viv,see if you can buy a small sheet of cage wire cost about £4 to make a heater guard and it will need a heavy dog water bowl.That will see you ok until you save the money to kit it out properly,and a low watt bulb is always useful to have as a stand by,Just keep an eye out in case it gets a cold but I had a Milk snake out in a garden down the road all last winter snakes are hardier than you think and good luck to you I hope it goes well also a green card hanging basket liner makes a good hide
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 02/09/2010 : 13:35:14
Hi, Taz, just another thought. There is a guy on RFUK who is really into redtails - Ian Kerr. I shouldn't think he would mind if you sent him a message asking for help; he might know of someone in your area who would advise you. Alternatively you could subscribe, if you haven't already done this, and post your own thread asking for help from anyone close by - I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

All the best!
Blackecho Posted - 02/09/2010 : 07:14:19
As above, thermal blocking only occurs when snakes get bigger. I have no scientific reason for this number, but I wouldn't have a snake on one that was say 1000g, all my Royals have a bulb by then.
mikerichards Posted - 01/09/2010 : 20:42:12
Yay! Nice one. The reason about the mat is called thermal blocking, basically where the mat cannot regulate its own temp, despite the stat.
Unless the snake is very big it shouldn't be a problem yet.
Depends how big the mat is too.
Setup wise, a 60w bulb on a dimmer stat with a guard, that's pretty much all you need.,
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 01/09/2010 : 15:40:34
Hi, Taz, glad you've got custody of the snake.

I know very little about redtails myself, but there are plenty of people on here with boas, and also the dark side ...

About the equipment - could be a good idea to look on classified for secondhand, links where people have posted up good sources for cheap equipment?

All the best!
FiestaSTLou Posted - 01/09/2010 : 15:40:31
Im glad to see ur silly brother in laws seen sence and given u the snake, you have done every thing u can so far to help it, i really hope everything goes well for it and it can be saved, if i had anything spare i would give it to u but i only have things that a corn would fit in (hardly usefull) it might be worth putting a thread up in the wanted section to see if anyone has any old equiptment lieing around they could sell u cheap mate.
taz666 Posted - 01/09/2010 : 15:13:25
thanks guys... I'm now back in north yorkshire, so I'm even further away :s but I went to the rep shop today and was told that putting a boa that age on a mat could kill it?? I don't know, as I've been given a wide range of answers from everyone I've asked... but apparently I gotta get a bulb, a stat, and take it off the heatmat immediately... and my brother in law's decided he don't wanna pay for all this, so he's giving me the snake! Yay, so I get to fork out for the little git XD but I'm desperate to save this little guy, I don't want him to die, so I'm gonna do everything I can to save him... Any suggestions on how I can kit him out properly cheaply? I know the snake shouldn't have to suffer cos of lack of money but running to a budget here :s
Thanks again guys :) x
Scarlett Posted - 30/08/2010 : 19:50:09
If I was closer I'd so help you out Taz.

No offence but your brother is an idiot.
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 30/08/2010 : 14:39:44
Hi, Taz, which part of West Yorks are you in, if that's not too personal a question?

I'm in Wakefield. I don't drive either and the easiest vet to get to by bus is Donaldson's in Mirfield - they have a rep vet called Sid, (!) I think - or they did a couple of months back. There are also places in Leeds and Bradford - I can soon find out. Haven't used any of these (hope I never have to) - was just researching.

Good luck with the boa. I really hope you're able to sort something out soon..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000