The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 my first crestie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dinner83 Posted - 25/06/2010 : 21:27:41
i have finally covinced my other half to let me get a crested gecko after mounths of nagging, so though i best not wast any time in getting one. so i have ordered one off lilly exotics today and its getting delivered next friday. i cant wait. i will be out and about buying everything ready for it this week
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 25/07/2010 : 18:05:20
what a gorgeous harley partial pinstripe, he/she is gorgeous
Sizzlesmum Posted - 23/07/2010 : 20:19:36
Awwww Gizmo is gorgeous and so tiny
dinner83 Posted - 20/07/2010 : 12:29:39
dont give up it took me a long time to convince my other half but i just kept bugging her till she give in and bought me this stunna for my fathers day
Fal Posted - 20/07/2010 : 11:36:30
So so cute and i'm so jealous. I've failed to persuade my other half and so the gecko idea is far off in the future if it happens at all :( will just have to dream for now and look at your pics.
dinner83 Posted - 19/07/2010 : 21:11:35
we decided to name s/he gizmo after one of the leos i used to have who was like a best friend to me
Figs Posted - 19/07/2010 : 21:04:31
Oh my gosh! S/he is tiny!!!
What a cute little gecko!
I love harlequins - so pretty

Have you come up with a name yet?
dinner83 Posted - 19/07/2010 : 21:00:39
pics as promised

sorry it took so long
Fal Posted - 11/07/2010 : 20:40:59
Can't wait to see pics, i'm sooo thinking about cresties at the moment, or another leopard gecko, can't decide. Not that i've convinced my other half yet lol
reptiledanny Posted - 03/07/2010 : 08:18:01
live plants can be hassle in cresties tanks as u need soil and other stuff, sometimes more heat than needed and others just refuse to grow lol
i would stick to plastic plants and pieces of wood and fake flowers

This list is a crestie safe list.
Bromeliads:

*Aechmea fasciata (Urn plants/Silver Vase Bromeliad) – Large

*Billbergia nutans – (queens Tears) partial shade to bright indirect light

*Cryptanthus zonatus (Earth stars) – warm, humid, bright light

*Guzmania lingulata – warm, humid, bright light

*Nidularium – 12-15 inches, low to Med. Light

*Tillandsia – Air plant, warm & humid

*Vrisea splendens (sword bromeliads) Light shade

~Other Plants:

*Acalphya (copperleafs, chenille plants)

*Adiantum (maidenhair ferns) – cool and dry in winter

*Aglaonema (Chinese evergreens) – do well in low lights, highly recommended

*Alocasia (elephant ears) – must be kept moist, humid and warm, will either not do well or overgrow everything

*Asplenium (Bird’s nest fern) – moist soil, up to 3 feet high

*Bamboo - (live or dry) please the the Wikipedia article, way to much intresting info to list! Clippings will produice.

*Beaucarnea recurvata - (Ponytail Palms)

*Calathea zebrine - (Zebra plant) – moist moderate temps, moderate light

*Ceropegia woodii - (Rosary Vine,Hearts entangled, or String of hearts) Water thoroughly, and then allow the soil to completely dry out before watering again.

*Chlorophytum (spider plants) – average humidity, moderate light, should be allowed to get almost dry before watering

*Cissus (kangaroo vines, grape ivys) – no moist soil

*Codiaeum variegatum (often confused for Croton, because of this it is often labeled "croton" as a common name)

*Crassula ovata - (Jade Plant, Friendship tree or Money plant)Clippings will produice.

*Cyrtomium - (Holly ferns)

*Dracaena - (Dragon plants)

*Ficus (rubber trees, ornamental figs) should be washed of when dirty, do wellin spotlight, Use caution with any plant of the ficus family that has a "milky sap" when leafs/stems are broken, it is a skin and eye irratant.

*Maranta - (prayer plant) warm temps, high humidity

*Peperomia - (radiator plant) some in this family are an epiphyte or air plant. Clippings will generally produice.

*Radermachera sinica - (China Doll)very difficult to root, Growth slowers used by nurserys will grow fast and less bushy.

*Sanseveria - (Snake Plants)aethiopica,caniculata,kirkii pulchra, parva, pinguicula, sinularis, thyrsiflora & trifasciata

*Scindapsus (Pothos) - looks like philodendron, very hardy. Clippings will produice.

*Schefflera arboricola - (Umbrella Plant)

*Spathiphyllum - (peace lilies)

*Tradescantia zebrina - (wandering Jew/ spiderwart) Can cause skin iritation in humans when handeld frequently. Clippings will produice. Called inch plant because it can grow up to an inch a day!

*Pillow Moss- Moss is notoriously hard to keep alive and spread and requires a lot of light and water (probably too much than a Rhac would receive in the wild).

*****WARNING*****
These plants have been claimed by some to be harmful in tanks with live animals. Some have been use with little to no problems, others are dangerous. Please use with cation or not at all.

*Hedera helix - (Ivy, English Ivy) This plant is nontoxic to birds but is toxic to humans. It is unknown what would happen when and if a feeder insect were to eat it then a reptile were to eat it in exhange. I think it is best to avoid.

*Philodendron- All parts of the plant are poisonous, due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals. Make sure to double check this vs. Pothos, they look alike and are generly mix together at most plant stores. Some say that this plant is safe but from my reading I do not agree.

*Dieffenbachia - (Dumbcane) All parts of the plant are poisonous, due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals. . It has been known to cause the death of cats, dogs, and small childern. This plant is considered a neurotoxin.
http://media.merchantcircle.com/1751...rina_full.jpeg

*Codiaeum variegatum and Croton look the same accept Croton (genus) Croton Oil is used as an active ingredient in facial chemical peels. Also in the past Croton oil was used in herbal medicine as a violent purgative. Some have claimed is has killed there pets.

Even if a plant is listed as toxic of eatten don't belive for a moment your animal won't lick the plant or eat an insect thats eatten the plant. These plants are best if avoided.

sorry for it being so long lol
dinner83 Posted - 02/07/2010 : 19:40:41
can anyone suggest any live plants that would be ok in my crestie viv, and where i can get them
dinner83 Posted - 02/07/2010 : 19:15:45
got my little one this morning it is stunning. i will get some pics up asap.
HannahB Posted - 02/07/2010 : 13:47:57
jealous lol
look forwards to the piccies
reptiledanny Posted - 02/07/2010 : 08:13:41
bet u cannot wiat, pics as soon as u get him (if he doesn't mind lol)
hope everything is ok for, he will be fine. just leave him a week like a corn but still feed, put crested gecko diet in everday and mist every day lol
bet u already now this lol
dinner83 Posted - 01/07/2010 : 21:12:00
im so looking forward to seeing my little one tomorrow cant wait
Figs Posted - 30/06/2010 : 20:27:46
Congrats
They really are awesome - i have three
If the little gecko doesnt mind then of course you'll have to share pictures with us!
herriotfan Posted - 30/06/2010 : 09:56:37
Congratulations. They're super pets. Love our Echo to bits.
n/a Posted - 29/06/2010 : 22:49:37
Cresties are great! Mine has just started to come and greet me when I open his RUB!
dinner83 Posted - 26/06/2010 : 12:10:55
great thanks. im sure i will have to ask something sooner or later
reptiledanny Posted - 26/06/2010 : 09:11:59
congrats, they are great, i love my little luna, he has great character, if u ever need any help just contact me, i now alot about them, not bragging though
DannyBrown91 Posted - 26/06/2010 : 00:30:35
Congrats, there great little lizards, wouldn't mind one myself.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000