The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Sneaky Boas!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikerichards Posted - 14/06/2010 : 11:09:06
Both my big girls share a 5x2x18 viv, normally they spend their hours under the bark log, except to drink or have a little nosey.
Yesterday, they are both all over the place, faces pressed at the glass, moving about, trashing the viv, so i thought, best double check that the viv is locked, because the big girl has worked out that if she presses her face on the glass, and pushes, she can open it, i watched her doing it! Since then the viv has been locked, i use a simple bit of coat hanger bent to shape so it locks the glass together.
This morning, 7am, i can hear crashing about, i didnt know what time it was so assumed it was kate getting ready for work, diodnt think anything of it, right up to the point she turns over!
We went to the snake room and the little buggers had worked out how to undo the lock from the inside, slide the glass open and get out.
The 7ft girl was in the big space at the top of the hatchling rack, and the big girl was wedged under the adult corn rack, lifting it off the ground, something i struggle with when its fully loaded.
Needless to say, neither of them wanted to go home! now i go back in, they have trashed the viv again, pulled the light off the ceiling and make a mess of everything!
Its a nightmare i tell you!!!
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 18/06/2010 : 15:32:24
Yeah, the Hogg is the only real dwarf i have, but shes still 6 foot.
The rest are BCi's and BCC's.
I just picked up another one today, a nice pastel, and another Westie!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 18/06/2010 : 13:18:10
I don't think any of mikes boas are dwarf boas, but he does have a hog island boa which i believe grow a little smaller than your "Common Boas".
reptiledanny Posted - 16/06/2010 : 19:43:40
is that what you have? a dwarf boa. i was more looking at common boa. 6 quid a month isn't bad. would still rather wait until i have job
mikerichards Posted - 16/06/2010 : 19:35:56
Dwarf boas don't need a five foot viv, a 3x2 or 3x1 is fine for some dwarfs, and you can feed them rabbits, one every 2 weeks, 6 quid a month.
reptiledanny Posted - 16/06/2010 : 16:11:38
i would love a ba and have the room for a 5ft cage, but i don't think i could afford the huge meals, at about 2-5 quid a week i would struggle as i don't have a job and im 15. i think i will wait till i have a job, as i think they are stunning and so intelligent.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:02:16
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

When i put the corns back after coming out, they nearly always shoot off to the other side hoping to find a way out, but even today, when i put the two big girls back, i put their head in the viv and they just turn around and come back out again, and stopping two big snakes on a mission is quite hard work!

I can see myself having similar troubles with my Rocky when he's older, when i put him in his RUB now he just tries to climb up my arm and back out lol.
mikerichards Posted - 14/06/2010 : 22:50:10
They are awesome, they pulled the bulb and holder off the ceiling, the bulb still works, they were just looking at it on their bedding!
I wish they were getting it on! i have one boa ready to drop, next year hopefully this big suriname will be getting ready to drop, will have to see if turkish is up to the job later in the year!

Dan, boas do get big, but they are not as big as you think, people imagine a 7foot snake to be huge, they arent really.
When they spread out they look big, but they can curl up into quite a small space. Not only that, but you can have dwarf boas that dont get much more than 5ft, similar size to a corn, just more chunky.

I find the corns have a little character to them, some anyway, my high white amel is always trying to eat whatever comes close enough, but the boas, you can see the cogs turning behind the eyes, they have a small look of intelligence, whereas corns just look blankly hoping for food!
When i put the corns back after coming out, they nearly always shoot off to the other side hoping to find a way out, but even today, when i put the two big girls back, i put their head in the viv and they just turn around and come back out again, and stopping two big snakes on a mission is quite hard work!
hillzi Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:02:57
Love a snake with a bit of character
n/a Posted - 14/06/2010 : 20:43:47
defo after that story a boa is out. very smart ladies u have
Sta~ple Posted - 14/06/2010 : 20:23:18
Awww bless them! Will you have to rewire the bulbs in and did they knock any hatchlings off the rack if there was any in there? I hate to imagine what damage they did to the bulbs pulling them off as I know a corn can make a mess pulling them off so an even bigger snake O.o;

I was kinda hoping for some reason that you was going to say that one was somehow male and that they were having sexy time though
HannahB Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:46:13
haha they sound like they just want to keep you on your toes
Dan-sunkist Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:34:16
i really want a boa but im not allowed they get to big aparently i think a royal might be in order instead
mikerichards Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:27:43
Your mission for the day Phil, is find a jiffy bag big enough for them to fit, just for giggles, cos you aint having them! lol
I have a lock, but i hate using it because its a pain, so i adjusted the lock on there so they cant get it out again!
I gave them both a bath today, in the bath as i dont have a tub big enough for her, what a nightmare, trying to keep her in the water, when she wanted out, she was having out!
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/06/2010 : 17:07:01
I reckon they were trying to get out to come to me.
You should just save yourself some time and effort and stick them in a jiffy bag down to me.
herriotfan Posted - 14/06/2010 : 15:02:02
Oh the joys of snake'hood' !!!
zandefloss Posted - 14/06/2010 : 14:46:58
Snakey rebels! they must be having troublesome teen times!

zan x
crazy JJ Posted - 14/06/2010 : 14:22:59
hahaha lol... yano love m :D
lee2308 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 14:14:22
their very intelligent,wont find a corn doing that,looks like a lock and key from now on then mike
josh9961 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 13:52:32
Sounds like a fun mess to clear up Good Luck Mike, you know you love them anyway!

*wishes for Boa*

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000