The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 new snake owner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
katyjane80 Posted - 11/05/2010 : 21:08:57
Hi all i am the new and nervous owner of a corn snake....where do i go for help
P.S Hi all x
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 23/05/2010 : 09:30:05
heya and welcome
Mouse Posted - 20/05/2010 : 11:50:26
hiya and welcome!
KITTYCAT Posted - 20/05/2010 : 07:26:47
Hi welcome to the forum
Taz Devil Posted - 19/05/2010 : 13:36:27
Hello and welcome to the forums.
gmac Posted - 19/05/2010 : 00:43:11
quote:
Originally posted by devindl

I'm a new owner, and new to the forum, i have a question...I've got a 5yr old albino got from a friend and loving him he's very rescently shed and mated(not sure if it matters) but lately he's been twitching when touched and sometimes when left alone as i watched.
Any answers?

copied this to the general keeping section, you may not get any responses in here,
n/a Posted - 18/05/2010 : 23:41:04
I'm a new owner, and new to the forum, i have a question...I've got a 5yr old albino got from a friend and loving him he's very rescently shed and mated(not sure if it matters) but lately he's been twitching when touched and sometimes when left alone as i watched.
Any answers?
katyjane80 Posted - 18/05/2010 : 13:35:17
Hi Kellog
Thanks once more for the advice. Hurrah he has kept that meal down and to be honest he is like a new snake. He has been venturing out a lot more. I am going to try the warm damp kitchen roll in a minute and buy the things i need online. At least I will know what to look out for when his eyes go blue and will just leave him be at that time.
I will let you know later if i manage to get the last bit of skin off
Thanks again
Katy
dean54321 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 16:30:12
EDIT - HI
dean54321 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 16:29:41
quote:
Originally posted by katyjane80

Hi all i am the new and nervous owner of a corn snake....where do i go for help
P.S HI ALL x

I
Kellog Posted - 17/05/2010 : 05:06:45
quote:

Hi there...once again thanks for all the help
a little update....the snake...who's name is Snitch! has been in hiding all week so i have just left him to it...just changed the water every day..on friday i went to the pet shop..and like some people on here have suggested..told that digital thermometers are crap...don't need a thermostat etc etc...so i went to jollyes a big pet superstore but they didn't have thermostats either..so i am gonna have to travel further afield tomorrow.
In the meantime I fed him again yesterday evening...he took it straight away probably starving, i put the little plastic box into his home so i didn't have to stress him out at all. So far he has kept it down...
This morning i checked him..and there was a skin on the floor.
One long piece, a smaller piece in his water bowl and there is still a little pit peeling on his tail area.
I have heard about misting to help him along...can somebody explain exactly what i need to do.
Would the fact he was getting ready to shed be the reason for the regurg???
Thanks again
Katy

What a great name Katy - Snitch !

I am not at all surprised by the response you have got from the pet shops. It may be worthwhile doing a ring around before travelling further afield - you dont want to drive miles and then find they dont stock what you need. Or you may need to resort to buying online. I have used 888reptiles successfully, and I know other forum members use other sites too. As far as the digital thermometer is concerned you can get a cheap one off ebay, like the one I mentioned in my previous comment.

He will have been in hiding all week because of the fact that he was 'blue'. When they prepare to shed they turn a dull colour and their eyes cloud over, which means they are partially sighted. Obviously this makes them scared and they hide away. They stay that way for about 3 - 4 days and then it all seems to clear up, as though they have shed....but the shed will actually happen about 3 - 4 days after they have gone clear (the timing differs with all snakes). Even once their colour has cleared their eyesight is still compromised so they will still be stressed. It is great that he ate while he was 'blue', a lot of snakes dont and a lot of us choose not to feed our snakes during this period - it is down to personal choice and snakes choice .

I would not have thought that him coming up to a shed would be the reason for a regurge, it is more likely due to the stress of the move. I do hope he keeps this meal down. The face that he has just fed means that you cant do anything to deal with his retained shed until the 48hrs are up. The misting of the viv you mention is more to help a snake that has had trouble shedding before when it turns 'blue', rather than to help remove retained shed. Once you can handle him the best thing to try is to dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with luke warm water and let Snitch wriggle through it, holding firmly so that the skin comes off. After running through it a couple of times the skin should have come off. Checkout this link for some more advice - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9467&SearchTerms=Quite+often+most+shed+can+come+off+

To help him out next time he sheds, once you see him go 'blue' you can mist his faun once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once his eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide which will also help. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but as Snitch is in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help him loosen his skin.

Let us know how he gets on with keeping his meal down and how you get on with getting rid of that last bit of shed.

xxx

katyjane80 Posted - 16/05/2010 : 12:15:43
Hi there...once again thanks for all the help
a little update....the snake...who's name is Snitch! has been in hiding all week so i have just left him to it...just changed the water every day..on friday i went to the pet shop..and like some people on here have suggested..told that digital thermometers are crap...don't need a thermostat etc etc...so i went to jollyes a big pet superstore but they didn't have thermostats either..so i am gonna have to travel further afield tomorrow.
In the meantime I fed him again yesterday evening...he took it straight away probably starving, i put the little plastic box into his home so i didn't have to stress him out at all. So far he has kept it down...
This morning i checked him..and there was a skin on the floor.
One long piece, a smaller piece in his water bowl and there is still a little pit peeling on his tail area.
I have heard about misting to help him along...can somebody explain exactly what i need to do.
Would the fact he was getting ready to shed be the reason for the regurg???
Thanks again
Katy
Kellog Posted - 14/05/2010 : 04:32:17
quote:

Hi everyone
thankyou all for the useful and friendly advice. At the weekend I am going to the pet shop and i am going to buy a decent thermometer and a thermostat. i think i will get another hide...i only got a starter kit and it is pretty basic really. I have been changing his water daily and have just straightened out the bottom so i can tell whether he is coming out during the night.
can anybody point me in the right direction for a thermomteter and thermostat please
thanks
katy

Firstly, no need for the thanks Katy - the forum is here to help, otherwise we would just get really bored as we have no lives other than our corn snakes (ok, I speak for myself ).

I am so glad you are getting the extra hide, the thermostat and digital thermometer as soon as you can. Your snake will be a lot happier once his set-up is running correctly.

Both my thermostats are Habistat ones, a pulse stat with one viv and a dimmer stat with the other (the dimmer came with the viv and I bought the pulse stat). They are a bit more expensive than some of the others but I have found the extra expense worth it. I did have a micro-climate on/off stat but didnt like the way it allowed the temp to drop about 5oC before it switched itself back on. I am not sure what your reptile shop will stock, but dont let them convince you that you dont need one....which, unfortunately, a lot of places do !!

You will hopefully be able to get the digital thermometer from there as well, I THINK it is a normal aquarium digital thermometer that a lot of us use, although some use thermometers that are specifically for reptiles. Also, many have got theirs from ebay and I know a number of forum members use this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415270120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3237wt_946. I ordered a similar one but it didnt say that it would take 3 weeks to arrive as it was coming from China (luckily I had one in my other viv so I just kept swapping them over to keep an eye on both temps). As far as I know this one is known for its quick delivery.

You are doing a great job in trying to get everything right for your corn (does it have a name?)....well done ....and keep asking questions!

xxx

katyjane80 Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:56:01
thankyou....i will go to the shop i will go to the reptile shop a couple of miles away and see if i can get it set up right.....at least i will know he is just hiding coz he is shy and not coz something is wrong with his set up x
herriotfan Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:51:47
Sorry I was a nerd and hit the send button too soon.....
Meant to say Habistat Thermostat and Lucky Reptile Thermometre.
herriotfan Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:43:27
I use habistat, they're are a very good make.
katyjane80 Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:36:36
Hi everyone
thankyou all for the useful and friendly advice. At the weekend I am going to the pet shop and i am going to buy a decent thermometer and a thermostat. i think i will get another hide...i only got a starter kit and it is pretty basic really. I have been changing his water daily and have just straightened out the bottom so i can tell whether he is coming out during the night.
can anybody point me in the right direction for a thermomteter and thermostat please
thanks
katy
deadmansfinger Posted - 12/05/2010 : 14:51:09
Hi, welcome to the forum. I am new here myself but you'll find loads of great advice on here.

I look forward too seeing some pics of your snake.

Brian
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 09:36:49
welcome along. looking forward to seeing pics of your new arrival after the settling in period. no need to be nervous you are in the right place for help and advice, im only fairly new to the forum too and have found everyone to be helpful and friendly :D:D
kdlang Posted - 12/05/2010 : 09:35:21
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The advice Kellog has given is spot on so I won't repeat anything. Pet shops are pretty dire sometimes so I'm glad you have joined us. There is no friendlier place than this one when you are starting out. It has been a god-send to me.

Don't worry too much about your snake hiding. I got my first one in December and he still hides away most of the time. I just make sure I straighten his substrate every time I go to bed then check in the morning and I can usually see where he has been out overnight. Our other snake is much more active throughout the day and we have only had him 4 weeks so it can vary alot from snake to snake.
Kellog Posted - 12/05/2010 : 03:42:24
Hi katy, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . You ask where you can go to for help....well, you have come to the right place.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look (as Herriottfan suggested) is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Because you have fed your snake and it has regurged I would extend that to 10 days as, like Mozacchio says, it takes that long for the snake's digestive juices to recover from the regurge. Then you need to feed it and wait another 48hrs before you can begin to handle it.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

I am terrible with Fahrenheit but think I am right in saying that 75oF is about 24oC. This is much too low for the warm end of its box and could also have contributed to its regurge, as well as the stress. You are looking for a temp of between 27 - 29oC (80 - 85oF). How are you measuring the temp....you say you are using a thermometer just above the floor, but what sort of thermometer? You really need to use a digital thermometer as the dial ones are very inaccurate, and it needs to be lying flush on the floor, above where the heatmat is, beneath a small sprinkling of substrate in the warm end (as this is where your snake will be getting its heat from. You can then deepen the substrate in the cool end so your snake can burrow. It may be that the temp is higher than 75oF, but because your thermometer is above the floor you dont actually have an accurate reading of what the heat the heatmat is.

You must get a thermostat as a matter of urgency. Heatmats can heat up to a point of over-heating and burning your snake and it is even more worrying if you dont have an accurate way to monitor the heat in its box.

You also only mention one hide - it really needs two, one in the warm end and one in the cool end. This way your snake is able to thermoregulate....as in choose which temp it wants to be in, at the moment it only has the choice of staying in the hide in the cool end. You dont need to spend money on a hide, something as simple as a toilet roll will do.

Unfortunately you have already experienced what many of us have found, that pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Hopefully when you got your snake you were able to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14 (but only after it has settled in, eaten and kept its food down!)

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000