The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/05/2010 : 14:31:07
Hello. I was pointed here from the Facebook group and am impressed with all the info and photos here. :-) We recently bought our first corn snake for my snake mad daughter. I'm a bit on the nervous side around it as I'm more into fluffy animals with legs but I admit it is quite cute.
Just wanted to say hello really. :-)
T
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 10/05/2010 : 16:00:21
Hi n welcome to the forum
gingerpony Posted - 10/05/2010 : 13:17:16
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 07/05/2010 : 20:47:33
Hi Chrissy. No name as of yet. She's still ummming and ahhhing over a few different ones but has said that she will have chosen one by her birthday next month so watch this space. lol
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 20:46:03
Hiya and welcome aboard good to see you over here, i'm the chrissy who wrote to you on the facebook group btw
got a name yet for you cute little one?
Sizzlesmum Posted - 06/05/2010 : 20:12:44
Hi and welcome
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 12:19:45
Hiya hun x
Mouse Posted - 06/05/2010 : 09:25:11
Hiya! and welcome
hiper2009 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 09:22:11
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Kellog Posted - 06/05/2010 : 02:50:20
Hi Teresa, it is really good that you have joined us and well done for coming over from Facebook, you wont regret it (have already met you there )! As you will have seen, this is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I think it is wonderful that your daughter is snake-mad (as we all are on here ) and you soon will be as well. She is a lucky girl to have such an understanding mum!

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know you are a bit nervous, but handling for 2 minutes is better than none! I always fiddle with my snakes' substrate whenever I change their water, so every morning...just airing it and checking for poo, but it is a really good way to spread my smell around their viv. Also, when I go to handle them I go in slowly, and again I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

Neither of my corns come onto my hand...wanting to be picked up. It is a case of me choosing to pick them up from wherever they are in the viv. I know some of the forums' corns do this, but not all...so dont worry if it doesn't. When you do pick it up try not to come at it from above, but rather scoop it up from the sides....that will scare it less.

Very calmly and confidently scoop it up, using both hands and being careful to support it so it isnt dangling. Hold it firmly and gently as it WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for it and you must not react to it but continue as you are. Hold it fairly firmly but gently to bring it out of the viv. Once you have it out sit with it (covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case she decides to poo on you) and just let it run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. It will seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both it and you have to get used to. You must just be very calm and steady with your movements. Dont have it out for more than 5 minutes, and return it gently and calmly to the viv if it is showing signs of stress. Repeat again and again and again....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in its behaviour as it gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As it gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow. You can then lengthen the amount of time you have it out and allow it to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a long way off. At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity.

As I said on Facebook, it will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make it more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and it will respond positively to that - you are already seeing how well that works. Its reaction when you go to pick it up will be a fear response...but that will lessen with time.

It really is a case of time and patience. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will it trust you. Learn from your daughter - she will be so pleased to show you how its done !

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! As Danny has said, the first place to look is the search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Hopefully when you got your snake you were able to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" Your daughter has just started down that corn path and you are sure to follow, so be warned!!

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 22:29:45
Hey welcome to the forum.

If there is anything in particular you would like to know, try using the search feature in the top right corner. If this dosn't bring up any results for you then feel free to create a thread in the relevant section. Any questions or queries you have will certainly be answered.
Dan-sunkist Posted - 05/05/2010 : 21:31:50
hi and welcome
gmac Posted - 05/05/2010 : 20:44:35
hiya and welcome
kdlang Posted - 05/05/2010 : 17:35:50
hi and welcome :)
Figs Posted - 05/05/2010 : 16:21:10
hello and welcome

your snakey (and others!) will grow on you soon
you'll love them!!
n/a Posted - 05/05/2010 : 15:44:21
Hello and Welcome!
Congratulations for your First Corn Snake!
Cant wait to see photos!
xXx
HannahB Posted - 05/05/2010 : 15:00:59
hey and welcome
Taz Devil Posted - 05/05/2010 : 14:55:18
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Congratulations on the new snake.
Forum regulations state that all new members must post pictures of their new snakes (well not really regulation but would look forward to seeing it).
mozacchio Posted - 05/05/2010 : 14:34:24
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
You'll soon find out that corns can be even cuter that fluffy animals with legs!
They are addictive, too..!
Just warning!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000