The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Just wanted to say hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 09:59:05
Hi, not sure what to say really..... my other half bought me a corn snake and full set up yesterday.... this is my first snake but he has had snakes in the past so he knows he is going to have to coach me a bit....... loving this forum i have been on here since 0630 this morning just reading up on what every one has to say..... so hi again x
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 04/05/2010 : 08:15:30
Hiya and welcome!! :D looking forward to piccies!
gmac Posted - 02/05/2010 : 14:44:43
Hi and welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 14:41:05
Welcome to the forum, I've recently joined to after stalking the forums, Im still on the 1 week "No Touchy" rule its a killer isnt it? now I have someone to compare my lil one with looking forward to some pic's ( I have one of mine as She moved into her new home) and again very helpfull forums, lovely people and great for info or even just a chat Have you got any other pets too?
deadmansfinger Posted - 02/05/2010 : 14:23:56
Hi Emma welcome to the forum. I have been keeping snakes for a whole week now and had her out for the first time today. I hope you enjoy your corn as much as I have enjoyed mine so far.

Brian.
gingerpony Posted - 02/05/2010 : 13:48:56
heya and welcome
Sizzlesmum Posted - 02/05/2010 : 13:39:47
Hi and welcome.

Look forward to seeing Sid's pics once he's settled in
crazy JJ Posted - 02/05/2010 : 13:15:19
hiya n welcome to the forum... cant wait 4 piccies lol :D
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:57:26
quote:
Originally posted by emma81louise

...........he bought each and every piece individually and hid it at a mates house until he picked sid up yesterday he even got me a mini library .... he said he will give me pointers but he wants me to learn for myself as that way i will appreciate sid more x

That is amazing and so sweet of him ...was it a real surprise or did you suspect something was going on?

It is also great that he has set you up with your own way to learn about Sid and wants you to 'stand on your own two feet' with him....he is right, it will make you appreciate him so much more and you know your OH is always there if you need the help.

You will be making a lot of the forum members jealous ....some of us dont have OHs who are quite as supportive of our 'corn craziness' as yours is!

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:34:03
thanks for the reply..... yes his name is sid.... my other half was told he is a crimson but i will be getting ur opinions once i have the pics for u. My other halfs son has his corn as he used to work away a lot. He is looking at getting a pair of bearded dragons so i have a feeling the corn snake family may have to grow too.... in seperate vivs ....... like i said earlier he bought each and every piece individually and hid it at a mates house until he picked sid up yesterday he even got me a mini library .... he said he will give me pointers but he wants me to learn for myself as that way i will appreciate sid more x
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:19:42
Hi Lcy, it is really good that you have joined us and well done for checking us out already ! As you will have already seen, this is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . What a great OH to have bought you your own corn!! You say he has had snakes in the past, does he have any at the moment? I know he will be coaching you a bit, but it is always nice to learn stuff for yourself and show him what you know !

You have obviously already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am so glad that you know about the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!), you are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. As mentioned it just means no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change its water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about it not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

I will echo what Danny has said about you saying that you bought it with a full set-up....what does that mean? Does it have a heatmat with stat and digital thermometer? These are vital pieces of equipment. Am sure you already know that they need 2 hides and some plants or something to make them feel more secure. I was sold my first snake 'with full set-up', and it turned out he had a bulb for heat with no guard, dial thermometers half-way up the wall of the viv (they are virtually useless and being where they were they were measuring the ambient temp not the substrate temp, which is where they get their heat from) and he only had one hide. Not what he should have had and not what I expected. I put it right as soon as I could.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got it hopefully you got as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

I cant wait to see pics and it is actually an unwritten forum rule that they are posted as soon as possible ! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you and your snake better. Does it have a name yet???

xxx
mozacchio Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:10:31
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Remember, we are all here to help!
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:10:21
no he didnt buy a kit he got all the pieces individually and set it up for me..... he has had snakes for 7 years now so he new what he was looking for and buying..... aparently he had been planning this surprise for a while and had been storing stuff at a mates then went and picked up sid yesterday x
hillzi Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:05:14
Jello there.

DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/05/2010 : 10:56:15
Hey welcome to the forum.

When you say full set up did you also get a thermostat and digi thermometer? I just ask because if you bought it from a shop many don't provide them in starter kits and they are crucially important pieces ok kit.
kdlang Posted - 02/05/2010 : 10:49:35
Good morning Emma, no question is silly if it is to do with the care of our snakes. We love em and glad you do too :)

You will find this forum is almost as addictive as corns so look forward to chatting to you more
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 10:18:39
hi and thanks...... i have been stalking the forum for a while and taken in a lot of what everyone has said but apologies now if i ask any silly or obvious questions x
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 10:10:29
Welcome to the forum Emma As Hannah says let your Corn snake settle in without handling it. Just change the water every couple of days.

Look forward to some pictures
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 10:07:46
i def will post some pics next weekend..... i cant wait for this first week to be over with x
HannahB Posted - 02/05/2010 : 10:04:36
hey and welcome
congrats on the new arrival, after the week of no contact with him make sure you take some piccies for us!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000