The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Need some advice please!?!?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jessejamez666 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 12:41:56
Hey my names Stewart, im from Glasgow and have in the past 3 months my and my wife have got our first Corn Snake. He is about 6 months old and has recently gone from pinkies to fuzzies which he has taken to no bother. I have to say never having had a reptile before i'm more than impressed with him, so easy to handle and very friendly.
The advice I need is we are in the next couple of months upgrading to a larger viv poss a 36", now I am wondering how a heat mat works in this situation ????? I take it it's in the viv under the substrate ???
Hope Somebody can give me advice ?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/05/2010 : 03:06:46
quote:
Originally posted by jessejamez666

Cheers Kellog got a exo terr digi therm today!

Fantastic Stewart , great to hear!

xxx
jessejamez666 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 12:19:00
Cheers Kellog got a exo terr digi therm today!
deadmansfinger Posted - 30/04/2010 : 11:14:15
Rob was a bad influence on me in those days. He made me buy loads of exoterra stuff and we even started a small fan club..........with 2 members

It is expensive stuff but it's also really well made. If I wanted a showtank again I wouldn't hesitate to get an exoterra viv.
Taz Devil Posted - 30/04/2010 : 10:28:32
Hello and welcome to the forums.

quote:
Originally posted by deadmansfinger
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXO-TERRA-Digital-Reptile-Tank-Max-
Min-Thermometer-BNIP-

No. No. No. NO. Not the Exo thingymibobs again. ** Goes and sits in a dark, quiet corner **

(I know brian from the Phasmid Forums and we went mental on Exo gear for our Terrariums, small fortune spent, but well pleased with the quality and looks.)
Kellog Posted - 30/04/2010 : 03:59:12
quote:
Originally posted by Sizzlesmum

I've just ordered some of these. I got the link from someone on here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ230463543304QQihZ013QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9049894736946414004#ht_3285wt_946

Thanks Sizzlesmum, that was the link I tried to put up but for some reason only got half of the address ! Brain fog moment !!

xxx
deadmansfinger Posted - 29/04/2010 : 23:11:04
HAHA
Sizzlesmum Posted - 29/04/2010 : 23:05:21
quote:
Originally posted by deadmansfinger

Great price!

Told you I was a Scot
deadmansfinger Posted - 29/04/2010 : 22:45:38
Great price!
Sizzlesmum Posted - 29/04/2010 : 22:18:53
I've just ordered some of these. I got the link from someone on here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ230463543304QQihZ013QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9049894736946414004#ht_3285wt_946

deadmansfinger Posted - 29/04/2010 : 08:36:40
I can't get Kellogs link above to work but this is the thermostat I have always used for my lizards, giant snails, phasmids and now corn snake.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXO-TERRA-Digital-Reptile-Tank-Max-Min-Thermometer-BNIP-/320524272155?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item4aa0bc421b

It records min/max and current temp and display in C or F. For £10 they are very reliable and quite accurate. I have one at each end of my snake tub now.

Another one I saw was this:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucky-Reptile-Thermometer-Delux-Digital-LTH-31-/260431510214?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3ca2ed7ac6

It's cheaper and has two temperature probes but as I haven't tried it I can't give you any additional info.

Brian.
Kellog Posted - 29/04/2010 : 03:15:09
quote:

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me Kellog.
Your advice is amazing, The chap in the pet shop where we got him told us about his shedding and eating and we have continued to note these down the only thing we haven't kept are his weight.At the momet we are just using a dial therm and its always between 75-80.
Im so happy with the wee guy and your right about being theraputic its amazing when he is in my hands sorelaxed and friendly.
Once again Kellog and Gmac thanks

No need for the thanks Stewart, just glad to welcome you here cos it means you want what is best for your snake !

Are you planning on keeping your dial thermometer? Where is it placed? I know the ones that came with Kellog's viv were stuck halfway up the viv wall, which was useless as all they measured was the ambient temp in the viv, not the substrate temp. I would encourage you to get a digital thermometer to monitor the warm side as soon as possible. I know a lot of forum members use this one and it comes fast!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ230463543304QQihZ013QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%

Am not surprised you are so happy with him and it is great that he is settled enough with you handling him to give you those wonderful 'hand massages'!

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 28/04/2010 : 15:03:24
heya and welcome
jessejamez666 Posted - 27/04/2010 : 14:01:57
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me Kellog.
Your advice is amazing, The chap in the pet shop where we got him told us about his shedding and eating and we have continued to note these down the only thing we haven't kept are his weight.At the momet we are just using a dial therm and its always between 75-80.
Im so happy with the wee guy and your right about being theraputic its amazing when he is in my hands sorelaxed and friendly.
Once again Kellog and Gmac thanks
Kellog Posted - 27/04/2010 : 04:04:06
Hi Stewart (and Beetlejuice ), it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

Sounds like you have a lovely snake, that is eating well and so easy to handle. Corns are perfect pets in so many ways, I find it quite therapeutic when I get mine out . It is just such a shame how many people are scared of snakes . But then that is the fantastic thing about finding this forum, you are surrounded by people who are as mad about corns as you are !! It is lovely seeing how excited you are about Beetlejuice....you feel about him just like we do about ours!

You may have already found this, but there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. I am so glad you are already asking questions. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Your question about the heatmat has been answered by Newsnakeskeeper. With wooden vivs you move the heatmat into the viv, covering one-third of the floor area. As mentioned you only need to sprinkle a small amount of substrate over the heatmat, then make it deeper towards the cool end so that Beetlejuice can burrow. Do you have a stat and digital thermometer? These are 2 vital pieces of equipment as heatmats get too hot and can burn your snake, and using just a stat is not safe as they can malfunction so you need a digital thermometer to monitor what the temp is in the viv at substrate level. I, personally, cover my heatmats with lino....although I know others dont. I then use stones to weigh it and the probes for the stat and thermometer down, so that the snake cant move the probes or get under the heatmat. If you have a heavy hide that can be used as well. Gmac has given you great advice about when to move Beetlejuice up to his new viv.

Hopefully when you got Beetlejuice you were able to get as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have started down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you and Beetlejuice better .

xxx
Sizzlesmum Posted - 26/04/2010 : 17:29:46
quote:

Im in East Kilbride just outside Glasgow

Hi and welcome, Beetlejuice is stunning

I'm originally from Rutherglen, moved south about 19 years ago and still have my accent
Mouse Posted - 26/04/2010 : 17:12:17
Hiya!! :D
gmac Posted - 25/04/2010 : 16:15:47
dont worry about it, excited is good lol, and love the name beetlejuice.
jessejamez666 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 16:12:35
My apologies I dont think the viv is as big as that, think its about 15 ish , I working just now so will check for defo when i get home. Also think Beetlejuice is about 21-23 inch. Should really measure before I ask questions?!?!?!!? Just got excited when I seen other people as excited about corns as i've become .
gmac Posted - 25/04/2010 : 16:01:10
When your corn is about 36" that is when you really want to think about upgrading, rule of thumb is when snake is longer than length (24") + width (12") of the viv so at about 36" you should upgrade.

Just curious about this, 24" does seem rather large for A 6 month old corn, where did you get it?
jessejamez666 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 15:56:41
Hey gmac thanks for the advice, he is about 2.5 ft at the moment, the viv we have at the moment is the one we got with him (poss 24x12x8 ish)So not 100% sure when to upgrade?!?!
Im in East Kilbride just outside Glasgow

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000