The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello from Manchester

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 23/04/2010 : 08:54:06
Hi, im totally new to the whole reptile / snake thing - but an see how people get addicted - not got one yet and im planning a second
Just trying to get all the info and kit so i can get my first corn - cant wait to get it all set up and finally get one rather than just planning it.

Went in the reptile shop on swan st in manchester last night to have a look at whet they have - they didnt have a lot of corns (3 to e precise) but they did seem friendly and seem to know what they were talking about (well to me anyway) anyone got any experience of them and if they are any good or not?

Thanks
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sizzlesmum Posted - 28/04/2010 : 19:25:53
Hi and welcome
MarkSue Posted - 26/04/2010 : 23:22:27
Hello and welcome from another new keeper.
Iv only been on here about a week and iv picked up so much advice. as said before, if you have`nt got a good reptial shop in your area your better off asking on here.
hope you enjoy the corns as much as i am
n/a Posted - 26/04/2010 : 21:04:29
Welcome to the forum
col654 Posted - 24/04/2010 : 16:52:38
Hi and welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 24/04/2010 : 13:01:37
Hey guys,

thanks for all the welcomes and advice!!

im hoping that once i have one ill be able to get mum to come round....watch this space lol

yeah im just now in the process of starting to get the kit together and look at getting it all set up first - make sure i can keep it all controlled at a fairly constant temp before i put anything in it !!

Yeah iv seen viper and vine before but unfortunatley as its prestwich and i live near the airport and am car-less ill struggle to get up there - however my cousin should be comming up to visit soon and now he does have a car and is into snakes (BCI and Royal Python - i will have to get him to realise he needs to add a corn to that list!!) he may well be up for a visit to viper and vine - hopefully by htat point ill have my set up ready!!

cant wait to get going now - just due to finances over the next few months cant go too crazy just yet - will be soon tho!!

and yes - as soon as i can ill be getting some pics up on here!!

reptiledanny Posted - 24/04/2010 : 10:55:20
if your looking for a good shop in manchester try viper and vine in prestwich. it's really good for reps.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/04/2010 : 10:33:10
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

Hehehe thanks for the clarification, I knew I'd prolly get it wrong!
(I'm having a 'Moina is wrong'day today.)

Ahh you were close.
Kellog Posted - 24/04/2010 : 03:00:00
Hi Baggage, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . You have obviously been doing a load of research already, which is wonderful to see. I am very glad that you have apologised for venturing onto 'The Dark Side '....but, seriously, I am sure there is a load of good information there just as there is here (just not as good !). I realise you have learnt a lot already so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Once you have decided what size set-up to get it is a really good idea to get it up and running for a week before you buy your snake. That way you can make sure everything is working properly and sort out any problems that may arise before the snake moves in.

I know this is early advice but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You will have found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

You are lucky as it sounds as though you have a pretty good pet shop near you. Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

I am glad you are not totally set on a particular morph - sometimes it is easy to get 'tunnel vision' and you find yourself ignoring some really beauties just because they are not the morph you want....and that happens a lot with aneries (to which I am very biased ) so I am glad that you have already seen how stunning they can be. The one positive thing about looking at different morphs is being able to see what the hatchling will grow to look like, as often it can be totally different to what you see when you buy it. Iansvivarium is a good site to look at to see pics of the different morphs as hatchlings and as adults (a dangerous place to go as well cos you come away with a wish list of all the different morphs you would love to own !)

For some reason I get the feeling that it wont be long before you get your own corn so I had better tell you about the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

You have already realised how addictive corn snakes are and you havent even got one yet! And yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

It is tough when you are dealing with someone who has a real phobia, like my mum. My best friend used to be so scared of snakes that she had to leave the room if they came on tv! I remember going to a zoo with her (she is my daughter's god-mother) and a snake was brought round for people to stroke....I was so proud of her for the way she hid her fear from my daughter and actually touched the snake. She remembers ever detail of that experience 13yrs on! When she heard we were getting a snake she wasnt surprised as she knew we loved them and she said she would be fine as long as the viv was covered when she came round. She now has to little kids of her own and she doesnt want them to grow up with her fear so we have moved on from having the vivs covered, to uncovering them and her sitting at the far end of the room, to me getting Kellog out and showing him to her kids while she encouraged them from a distance....to her actually sitting next to me when I have him out. That is a long way to come in a year and one day she may even go so far as to touch him as she has seen her kids do without fear. Just be patient and understanding with your mum....she may still come round in her own time.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx
Mouse Posted - 23/04/2010 : 20:30:27
Hehehe thanks for the clarification, I knew I'd prolly get it wrong!
(I'm having a 'Moina is wrong'day today.)

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Edit - in response to mouse's post the rule is that once a snake is the same length as the length and depth of the viv it is time for a bigger viv.

For instance a 24x18x18 viv would be good for a snake that is around 3+1/2 foot, then its time to consider moving them up. Most corns average out between 4 and a half and 5 foot so are reasonably comfy in a 36x18x18 viv. Although some are a little shorter and some do get a little bigger.

gmac Posted - 23/04/2010 : 19:17:05
hiya and welcome to the forum
herriotfan Posted - 23/04/2010 : 16:57:39
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Good you're doing research. It's very difficult to choose which morph you want with so many lovely ones out there. Good luck.
n/a Posted - 23/04/2010 : 16:38:29
Thanks Guys,

The rough guide to sizing your snake home is a good one - id been wondering how you worked out viv sizes - will bear this in mind.

yeah can see how waking up with a snake on your chest could be a shocker - think it might worry me a bit.

Yeah was hoping that if i got a baby that i could persuade my mum to get used to them from being little but no - if it comes out - she leaves and does not come back - could be kinda handy at some point in the future i suppose but only if i want to fall out with my mum - i do beleive it was - if i cant see it and it cant get out and nobody even thinka about bringing it anywhere near me - serious phobia going on - that i have no chance of curing - cant see how she cant think theyre cute - but then im mortally afraid of spiders and would probably react in exactly hte same way
HannahB Posted - 23/04/2010 : 14:34:11
hey and welcome
mozacchio Posted - 23/04/2010 : 14:11:25
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Feel free to ask anything..!
gingerpony Posted - 23/04/2010 : 14:07:55
heya and welcome
hillzi Posted - 23/04/2010 : 13:59:28
Hello there!
Mouse Posted - 23/04/2010 : 13:58:02
(Sorry, pressed post before finishing!DOH!)

Anery's are lovely, and I love snows(Bias I know!). I guess when you have one colour, you end up seeing others and thinking....ooooh but they're lovely too!! :D

Your mum will come round after meeting and new snake :D they're so adorable!

Baby snakes can get out of the most securest vivs if you're not careful! (so can adults! My mates snow pushed it's way thru it's vent/mesh, and he woke up to find it curled up on his chest! his OH nearly had a heart attack upon waking up, as she wasn't so happy about snakes! hehehehe)

Once you have the bug, there is no hope but to get more snakes! ;)

DannyBrown91 Posted - 23/04/2010 : 13:53:08
In regards to keeping a baby corn, you could get a large flat faunarium, they are around £12 and will last untill the snake is around 2 - 2+1/2 foot, at which point most willbe comfortable in a 3 foot vivarium with plenty of hides and cover. If not you could move from a faun into a larger rub and then into a 3 foot viv, where the snake could usually happilly live the rest of its life.

Edit - in response to mouse's post the rule is that once a snake is the same length as the length and depth of the viv it is time for a bigger viv.

For instance a 24x18x18 viv would be good for a snake that is around 3+1/2 foot, then its time to consider moving them up. Most corns average out between 4 and a half and 5 foot so are reasonably comfy in a 36x18x18 viv. Although some are a little shorter and some do get a little bigger.

Mouse Posted - 23/04/2010 : 13:50:23
Generally RUBs are a good plan, as they're pretty secure, and cheap, as your snake will grow fairly quickly. I have a feeling I saw a 'rule' posted on here saying that the snake should fit along one side and one front of the viv /rub.

I suppose it depends on whether you can afford all the 'upsizing'.

All mine have been glass until recently, And I'm getting a couple of wooden vivs, but I'm going to install a piece of wood down the centre to 'split' them into 4 vivs essentially, for when my snakes are big enough to go in them! (Still eggs atm!) . Maybe you could do something like that, and put a barrier in, then when it needs to 'upgrade', take the barrier out....

n/a Posted - 23/04/2010 : 13:23:56
Hey Figs,

Good to know someone else has used them and they are good! they seemed pretty good to me and when i questioned what they were saying and asking about other ways to do it they seemed ok with that and explained other ways of doing things - not just about selling the kit which is a good thing
mmm - must get kit and get snakey asap - definatley have the bug now!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000