The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi from nottingham

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/04/2010 : 20:05:27
Just thought I would drop by to say a great big HI to all. I am getting my first corn snake in over 15 years on monday and I am very excited. xxx
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
newsnakekeeper Posted - 23/04/2010 : 17:49:51
if u feed ur snake in a rub can u carefully lift the rub up to the viv and tilt it slightly so snake can slither out back into the viv
herriotfan Posted - 23/04/2010 : 17:22:19
Hi
Welcome to the forum. You'll find we're a friendly lot. Our biggest problem is we are too nosey....so photos asap please!!!
gingerpony Posted - 23/04/2010 : 14:00:03
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 19/04/2010 : 20:32:01
Thanks for all your advice friends. Its nice to know I can ask anything and as often as I like. I now have my new baby home and he is fab. As soon as he has had his week of settling in I will get some pics up. If I can get some through the glass on wednesday then I will up load those. Once again THANK YOU ALL. x
Mouse Posted - 19/04/2010 : 09:38:42
Hiya, and welcome!

I'm sure someone on here said all soft woods (like pine etc) were a no-no, although Cork seems to be fine.

Sometimes I have to put the lid of a RUB in Gobo's viv, and feed him on that, as taking him out means he spends more time wanting to explore than eating. :D
Kellog Posted - 19/04/2010 : 04:41:54
quote:
Originally posted by nottm335

sorry to ask so many questions folks but I have been told that it is ok to put tree branches/logs in the viv ........

No need to apologise for asking so many questions Steve, it shows how much you care about your corn that you are wanting to get things as right as possible.

HannahB is right about using wood from walks etc. I have used branches from my garden that my OH was sure was ok....and it is lovely having the different sort of shapes they form. I scrubbed them with reptile disinfectant and then baked them in the oven at 160oC for an hour. You can get some great pieces from shops, but they can be expensive.

This link may give you some idea as to what wood you could use - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7951&SearchTerms=toxic,wood, and this will help tell you what to do with it if you find some - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8509&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=branches,

quote:

....... I want to know if a snake is fed outside its viv which if I am correct is the best way to do it and you cant handle them for 48 hours after a fed how do you get them back into the viv????

Although snakes can be fed inside their vivs I, personally, think it is preferable to feed them outside - it avoids the risk of them swallowing some substrate and causing an impaction....and it also gives a great chance for pics !

Both mine are fed on towels on the floor, as they are adults, and I just wait until the 'bump' is about halfway down their body and then do as Gmac said - I just lift them very gently, supporting them carefully on either side of the 'bump'. For a baby you can feed inside a RUB which you can line with kitchen roll. Then you can either gently lift the kitchen roll, supporting the snake, and guide it back into the viv or you can tip the RUB slightly into the opening of the viv and allow your snake to slither out and into its viv at its own speed.

xxx

n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 19:28:43
thanks HannahB I think I will just buy some as it sounds too much like faffing around and I would hate to put the wrong sort of tree in or risk not doing the treatment right and causing the snake any harm.
HannahB Posted - 18/04/2010 : 18:26:06
quote:

sorry to ask so many questions folks but I have been told that it is ok to put tree branches/logs in the viv that are found on walks and things as long as they are put in the oven for an hour or so first is this correct or will this introduce mites and things?

just becareful as there are some trees that shouldnt go in their vivs, pine is one of them but i cant remember the others that should be avoided!
just sand it down, get the bark off and cover it in 10% bleach for a few hours, then leave it to soak for a few more hours in water to get the bleach off and then id whack it in the oven at a high temp (about 200*c aught to do it) for a little while and it should be ok to use

and dont worry about asking 'daft' questions, we have all been there and asked the same thing
gmac Posted - 18/04/2010 : 18:03:55
quote:

I know that must of sounded like a stupid question but it was puzzling me.

no worries, If you dont know the answer, then no queston is or will sound stupid.
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 17:49:06
thanks gmac. I know that must of sounded like a stupid question but it was puzzling me.
gmac Posted - 18/04/2010 : 17:01:22
All mine are fed out of their vivs, you can lift them back in to the viv, while gently supporting them either side of the bump
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 16:59:32
Hi Kittycat and Lee thanks for you welcome. I want to know if a snake is fed outside its viv which if I am correct is the best way to do it and you cant handle them for 48 hours after a fed how do you get them back into the viv????
lee2308 Posted - 18/04/2010 : 16:50:29
hi and welcome to the forum
KITTYCAT Posted - 18/04/2010 : 16:14:51
Hi welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 16:07:29
sorry to ask so many questions folks but I have been told that it is ok to put tree branches/logs in the viv that are found on walks and things as long as they are put in the oven for an hour or so first is this correct or will this introduce mites and things?
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 15:44:43
thanks Danny
DannyBrown91 Posted - 18/04/2010 : 14:53:02
Just leave him be for a week and feed him on the monday. Healthy snakes can go for ages without eating so a couple of days won't do any harm.

Welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 13:07:29
Hi everyone and thank you for the warm welcome. Kellog, Thank you very much for your post it was very informative. I have to be honest with you, I have already stolen your idea of keeping records of shedding, feeding ect ect, and I have made myself a folder on the laptop with charts and important information so I can keep a track of every little detail. I am hoping he will be a happy snake and as I am fortunate enough to work for a pet wholesalers who sell everything I can buy him lots of things at discounted prices to occupy him lol. I do know that he gets fed every Friday, and I know about the one week rule so dose that mean that I miss his feed and give him it on the following Monday or do I feed him on Friday as usual and do it in his viv on a small tray?
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 12:08:06
Welcome to the forum
Kellog Posted - 18/04/2010 : 04:19:14
Welcome Steve, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is obvious that you have been doing your research before getting your snake - you have had 15 years to be prepared so I am not surprised!

Obviously you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. Another place to look, along with the care sheet, is this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. I know he is coming in his own viv so in a sense he will be still in his own home, but things will still be very different for him. All you need to do is put your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about him not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are (and he certainly isnt small!). You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

I am sure that you have already found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

It sounds like the person you are getting him from is being fairly open with you. When you do get him I hope you get as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

It is difficult to know what will come with him regarding his set-up. When I bought Kellog, he was sold as a snake with full viv set-up....but turned out he was being heated by a bulb (with no guard), his temps were only being monitored using those useless dial thermometer stuck halfway up the viv wall, he only had one hide and that was it! Obviously I had to make a few changes and am finally happy with the set-up he is in....heatmat, stat, digital thermometer, 2 hides, branches, plants, rocks....and he is so much happier too!

Pics have already been asked for and it is actually an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000