The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hey guys - New snake in town

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 22:19:52
Hi guys

So here's my story, last Friday my mum got back from Egypt and she still had £200 of her spending money left and she's been wanting a snake for a really long time. So she went to the pet shop to have a look around the other day and ended up coming back with a corn snake, a huge viv and all the other essentials. so we got it set up and got "Cornflake" into his new home.

He's an orange and white corn snake and is roughly 3 ft long and is a year and a half old according to the guy at the reptile store.
He was happy as larry when he first got in, checking out his new home and wondering around and did a poo within about 2 hours, then on the second day he managed to do his first shed in his new home so it was good to see that he was comfortable.

But i've got a few problems now though, these past few days he's just stayed under his log hide and doesn't seem to ever come out for a drink or a wander around. We have yet to handle him because we have been advised to leave him for a week until we try feed/handle him to allow him to settle, so I don't think we have scared him. He is moving though as i've just checked and he'd changed position.

I hope to get some pictures as soon as possible.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 17/04/2010 : 08:50:34
belated heya and welcome
Kazzaboobers Posted - 12/04/2010 : 09:16:18
quote:
Originally posted by JRDN

heya and welcome!
dont worry Kellog when your new here its really nice to get all the info you give.
(you havent been welcomed officially until Kellog posts )!!! lol

I second that - very very helpful stuff from everyone on this site - welcome from another Newbie
Mouse Posted - 12/04/2010 : 07:13:47
Hey welcome! :D:D
n/a Posted - 10/04/2010 : 12:47:38
heya and welcome!
dont worry Kellog when your new here its really nice to get all the info you give.
(you havent been welcomed officially until Kellog posts )!!! lol
Kellog Posted - 10/04/2010 : 03:12:59
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

quote:

Oooh Kellogg thats a long one.

Said the exactly same thing when read the whole post!

May be long but it is very informative and there is some really good advice in there.

I know, I know, I didnt realise that I had rambled on quite so much until after I had posted it , but I re-read it planning on editing and decided that it was all worth putting up - so sorry Chris , I do tend to overdo it a little !!

xxx

kdlang Posted - 09/04/2010 : 18:46:18
Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum. You have already discovered how friendly and informative the guys and gals on here are. Can't wait to see pics of cornflake
n/a Posted - 09/04/2010 : 17:06:36
Thanks a lot for all the replies, the information won't go un-used!
I'll be sure to keep a check on him and suggest to my mum about the diary for length, weight ect. It's his first feed today so hopefully i'll be able to get some pictures taken.
col654 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 16:38:09
Hi there chris263 some very nice people in here just ask and you will get help
mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 15:50:56
quote:

May be long but it is very informative and there is some really good advice in there.

Don't get me wrong, i didn't mean anything bad!
I just noticed that it's longer than usual..!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 15:20:22
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

quote:

mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 13:00:45
quote:

DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 12:58:18
Kellog Posted - 09/04/2010 : 02:38:27
Welcome Chris (and Cornflake), it is great that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Wow, a shed already....not many corn owners get to experience that so soon ! I bet Cornflake is looking all lovely and shiny now. Well done for checking that the eye caps and tail tip have come away cleanly, that is always vital as if they are retained it can cause problems.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Sounds like you have a pretty good set-up going, and I am glad your mum is going to get the digital thermometer....the dial ones are very inaccurate and it is very reassuring knowing what the temp is in the warm end....which is the most important end. What temps do you have your thermometers showing? You only seem to mention a hide - does that mean there is only one? Ideally a corn needs 2, at the cool end and at the warm end of the viv - this way the snake can thermoregulate - moving from the warm to the cool safely. Also, are there any fake plants in the viv? Not only do they look nice but they offer the snake cover and make it feel safer. What substrate are you using? We suggest you use a thin layer over the heatmat and then deepen it to burrowing level in the cool end. (sorry for all the questions , but I get the feeling you are the sort of person who wants to get it right, learn as much as you can and do what is best for Cornflake.)

I am so glad you know about the one-week rule, with no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Cornflake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and hes new surroundings. As Herriotfan has said, this means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about Cornflake not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops and I am so impressed that you were , because it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

As Matty said, once that week is over feed Cornflake and then you can begin to learn how to handle, but you must wait 48hrs after a feed before you handle, to allow their meal to digest - that is vital.

I always fiddle with my snakes' substrate whenever I change their water, so every morning...just airing it and checking for poo, but it is a really good way to spread my smell around their viv. Also, when I go to handle them I go in slowly, and again I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

Very calmly and confidently scoop Cornflake up (lifting the hide off him if he is in one), using both hands and being careful to support him so he isnt dangling. Hold him firmly and gently as he WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for him and you must not react to it but continue as you are. Hold him fairly firmly but gently to bring him out of the viv. Once you have him out sit with him (covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case he decides to poo on you) and just let him run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. He will seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both he and you have to get used to. You must just be very calm and steady with your movements. Dont have him out for more than 5 minutes, and return him gently and calmly to the viv if he is showing signs of stress. Repeat again and again and again....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in his behaviour as he gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As he gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow. You can then lengthen the amount of time you have him out and allow him to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a long way off. At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity.

He will be able to tell if you are not confident and that will make him more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and he will respond positively to that. His reaction when you go to pick him up will be a fear response...but that will lessen with time.

It really is a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will he trust you.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you , although it sounds as though your petshop may be a bit better than others - making sure you had a stat, thermometer and telling you the one-week rule. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

You have already found that you get good answers, regarding your concern about Cornflake's behaviour at the moment....he would have been exploring the viv and is now hiding, getting used to his new home and coming out to drink and move around at night. It may be that once he feels at home he may come out during the day, but I know that with mine I often dont see them unless I take their hides off them to get them out and handle them ! That is just the way they are ....

When you got Cornflake I hope you got as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Pics have already been demanded and it is actually an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

In this I have spoken as though you are Cornflake's owner, sorry . I realise she is your mum's, but it is just easier to talk to you as though you are the one dealing with him. Also, apologies for the info overload....have just realised how much I have told you ! But it is all things that I know I found vital to know when I first got a corn, so I hope you dont mind me going on and on and on and on......

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" Your mum have just started down that corn path so be warned....and I am sure you will soon follow her!!

xxx

mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 00:24:56
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
I don't have anything to add..
But i'll repeat the pics are essential!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 00:22:47
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Hello and welcome. The lack of activity isnt a problem, just make sure he has access to fresh water and he will be drinking. Make sure he has eaten before you handle him.

Just want to add that corns arnt nocternal, they are crepuscular - active at dawn and dusk. You will find that most diurnal and crepuscular species have round "normal" pupils, and nocternal species have cat type pupils.

You learn something new everyday.

I thought many nocturnal animals came out around dusk till around dawn.
HannahB Posted - 08/04/2010 : 23:53:53
hey and welcome
you will probably find that you dont need the light at all except for viewing him for short periods of time, corns do best when the heat can be absorbed through their stomachs from the heat mat
look forwards to pics
crazy JJ Posted - 08/04/2010 : 23:36:07
heya n welcome to the forum to u n Cornflake :D

any probs we will be happy 2 help and congrats on Cornflake

Cant wait 4 piccies.... thats a must here lol ;)
matty18714 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 22:43:24
Hello and welcome. The lack of activity isnt a problem, just make sure he has access to fresh water and he will be drinking. Make sure he has eaten before you handle him.

Just want to add that corns arnt nocternal, they are crepuscular - active at dawn and dusk. You will find that most diurnal and crepuscular species have round "normal" pupils, and nocternal species have cat type pupils.
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 22:36:49
welcome to the forum, as said thermostat etc are essentials as are pics lol but if you havent got one already youll need a bulb guard to protect him from burns

paul
herriotfan Posted - 08/04/2010 : 22:35:46
Hi Chris
Welcome to the forum.
Try not to worry too much about Cornflake, he'll be settling in and getting used to his new home. Just leave him for a full week, just changing his water, making sure his substrate is in order and checking for poo! You could wear an old bit of clothing for a day, to get your scent on it, then put it into his viv in his hide. That way your smell will become part of his normal surroundings and help him settle.
Pics when he's settled in would be cool.
Have a good look at all the information on here....it's a really good, informative place to be for all snake folk!
Any questions just ask.......

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000