The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi everyone :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cornucopia Posted - 08/04/2010 : 07:52:45
Just bought my first snake for many years - a lovely natural corn, approx 7 months old, sex unknown. Looking forward to seeing him grow & hopefully won't be asking to many stupid questions on here!

I have owned several snakes - grass, garter, dice, Royal python, & several lizards - skinks, green anoles, so not completely new to reptiles.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 17/04/2010 : 08:52:37
belated heya and welcome
lee2308 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 22:49:15
hi and welcome to the forum
Cornucopia Posted - 10/04/2010 : 20:15:27
Thanks to everyone for a warm welcome. I must confess that I didn't stick to the 7 day rule - Cornelius / Cornelia (I'll find out which one soon I hope) was fed last Saturday & I got him on Thursday so I didn't feel I could leave him for another 5 or six days before feeding.

Good news is that he took a pinkie we soon as I showed it to him, the wife & kids thought it fascinating to watch him feed. He's now safely curled up in his hide so I'll see him on Monday evening.

He's very friendly & inquisitive and as soon as I can I will measure & weigh him.

TTFN!
Paul.
KITTYCAT Posted - 10/04/2010 : 15:04:39
Hi n welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 09/04/2010 : 20:22:43
Welcome to the forum. Nice selection of Reps you have.
Kellog Posted - 09/04/2010 : 02:51:12
Welcome Paul, it is great that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . You obviously have experience in reptile keeping having had snakes and lizards before....and I am afraid that I am not very sure how much they differ from corns - as I am a 'corn lover' !

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum to remind yourself, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am not sure if you did this with your other snakes, but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you.

I am sure you have found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Again, you have probably experienced that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. With your reptile knowledge I doubt you will have much to ask, but as HannahB said - no question is regarded as a stupid question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Again, I am not sure if you did this with your other snakes, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

You returned to your love of reps, so need a warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better and having your in-put and experience on the forum .

xxx

LittleMick Posted - 08/04/2010 : 22:43:12
Hey there, welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 22:39:17
welcome to the mad house

paul
Figs Posted - 08/04/2010 : 18:54:54
hello and welcome!
i'm sure you'll enjoy being here - everyone is very nice :)

herriotfan Posted - 08/04/2010 : 18:38:07
Welcome aboard!
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 16:13:23
Hi & welcome
kdlang Posted - 08/04/2010 : 15:25:37
Hi and welcome
crazy JJ Posted - 08/04/2010 : 12:43:10
hey n welcome to the forum :D
HannahB Posted - 08/04/2010 : 12:39:42
hiya and welcome
Mouse Posted - 08/04/2010 : 12:30:51
hiya! welcome!
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/04/2010 : 12:15:52
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 12:07:01
Hey welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 10:43:00
Welcome to the forum and Welcome Back to the Wonderful World of Retiles!
xXx
mozacchio Posted - 08/04/2010 : 09:26:59
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
No question is stupid! Ask anything you like..!
It's better to look through the care sheet of the site or search the older forum topics!
Pics of the new guy are a must..!
Have you named it yet?

Electra
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 09:10:52
hia and welcome to the forum!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000