The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
col654 Posted - 28/03/2010 : 20:00:55
Just a hi new in here looking to get my first corn been looking and getting as much info as i can.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 17/04/2010 : 08:45:50
not managed to get on here for a little while so belated heya and welcome
dean54321 Posted - 03/04/2010 : 11:40:21
hi
n/a Posted - 03/04/2010 : 09:29:52
welcome to the forum, this first week is annoying but well worth it in the end cant wait to see pics of the little fella

paul
n/a Posted - 03/04/2010 : 08:35:54
welcome welcome welcome
Kellog Posted - 03/04/2010 : 03:45:28
quote:
Originally posted by col654

Well i went out and got one today now the hard week lol.
Worth it she looks lovely .

Cant wait to see what she looks like and hear what you have decided to call her. I know this week is going to be so frustrating, but it is also worth it....and it makes that first handling all the better for the wait !

xxx
col654 Posted - 02/04/2010 : 23:18:02
Well i went out and got one today now the hard week lol.
Worth it she looks lovely .
col654 Posted - 30/03/2010 : 16:06:52
Will do could be some weeks but will post a pic.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 30/03/2010 : 14:39:05
Hiya and welcome to the forum, you have picked the best forum to find out the info that you need not that am been biased here cough cough lol and as am sure it been said before good to see that you are doing your research before u purchase your snake
Kare Posted - 30/03/2010 : 12:42:43
Hello \o
dean54321 Posted - 29/03/2010 : 19:36:58
hi
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2010 : 18:26:10
Welcomez

When you get one be sure to post a picture, it's the rules.
Figs Posted - 29/03/2010 : 17:18:31
hello and welcome!!

dont forget to post pictures of your snakey when you get it ;)
n/a Posted - 29/03/2010 : 17:01:43
Hello and Welcome
xXx
HannahB Posted - 29/03/2010 : 15:56:00
hey and welcome
col654 Posted - 29/03/2010 : 10:56:18
As agane thanks every one for the welcome
Mouse Posted - 29/03/2010 : 09:49:19
Welcome! :D
mozacchio Posted - 29/03/2010 : 09:01:47
Welcome to the forum..!
n/a Posted - 29/03/2010 : 08:38:56
heya welcome to the site. this is a really great place to find out anything you need to know!
Kellog Posted - 29/03/2010 : 02:39:05
Welcome to the forum Colin, it is great that you have joined us ! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is fantastic that you have been getting as much info on corns before you go out and get yours, too many people walk into a pet shop and buy a snake and whatever the petshop tells them they need and dont have a clue what they are taking on . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know this is a bit early for you, but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Do you have any idea of what age snake you want, or what morph? There are some beautiful morphs out there but it is easy to then get tunnel visioned and not see the amazingly lovely snakes out there that arent the morph you want. I think it is sometimes better to go it, look around and pick the snake that you love the look of ! It is good to know what the grown snake is going to look like if you are buying a hatchling as they can change a lot. A good place to look at morphs - both at the hatchlings and at the adults they grow into is http://iansvivarium.com/cornsnakemorphs.php (cant believe I am guiding you there....that sight needs a health warning , you go on there and come away with a wish list of all the different morphs you want!)

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you get your snake try and get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

As CrazyJJ said - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 29/03/2010 : 00:32:16
heya n welcome to the forum.

Just a warning tho... corns r very addictive haha ;)
but any questions you have just ask... were all here to help each other :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000