The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Yet another one

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Takagi Posted - 17/03/2010 : 11:13:43
Ello

Hi Im paul so thought to say hi to the new place I shall call home to find out anything and everything :)
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/03/2010 : 18:12:07
For a hatchling snake you are best getting a faunarium, a small plastic tank which is good to house your snake till it is around 2 and a half foot long. At which point you could move them upto a RUB or a 3 foot vivarium. The 3 foot vivarium will do your snake untill its around 4 and a half - 5 foot, which is around the size that corns grow although some do get bigger.

As for the heating a heatmat and thermostat should be sufficient, snakes thermoregulate so even if your house gets pretty cold in the winter if your snake gets to cold it will just move to the warm end.

If you have any questions or theories that you need answering just make a topic in one of the relevant sections.
Takagi Posted - 20/03/2010 : 16:14:11
so ty ty for all advise so far, now to hunt through the forums some more befor I go asking more questions me thinks :)
herriotfan Posted - 19/03/2010 : 10:16:06
Welcome aboard Paul.
Takagi Posted - 19/03/2010 : 07:27:53
Ello,

For the house temp in the winter, the room normal does not go below 15'C but I do spend a good 10 hours out (So I think I may get myself a temp monitor for next winter)

So I guess a second heat matt for the winter would be the best idea just to keep it around the temps to keep the lil snake a happy snake. So thinking about it, its not so much of a bad thing (as would have several months to buy one, just the elec bill at the end of winter heh)

As for Viv's yea, Ive been all over and now looking at this 888 place people have mentioned on here and some good ones there too but alot seem to have Heat mat's and bulbs (but come with all things to make safe etc) just a case of finding one which is right for me I guess, its just the whole size thing as you dont wana go too big (less you fill with more things for the snake to climb on etc and hide in I guess??) As the Komodo starter sets seem ok, and look like they will do the job for a short while..
Kellog Posted - 19/03/2010 : 03:17:19
It is great that you are doing so much research before you go out and get your lil guy/girl. Too many people just walk into a pet shop, buy what they see and whatever kit the petshop recommends ( ), walk out again and then get home and think 'What now?' or even worse dont even think just do what they feel is right without knowing anything !!!

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know it is a bit early for you at the moment, but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

I am afraid I have only ever dealt with adults so cant help you regarding best viv sizes for a little snake. But as far as your concerns about heat..... as long as you have a heatmat that is functioning correctly you can be sure that the warm end of the viv will be the right temp all year round. If you find the cool end drops too much in the winter (and usually this wont happen in most houses) then you can look at having another small heatmat to use during winter set at a lower temp to go in the cool side - although I know this is an expensive route to go. What sort of temps does the room your snake will be in drop to during winter?

There are so many gorgeous different morphs out there, but personally I would suggest that you dont get too tunnel visioned on what you like. It sounds as though you already have a place that you trust where you are going to get your corn from, so go in and see what catches your eye. What is useful is seeing how the different types of morphs change as they become adults as often the hatchling bear very little resemblance to the grown up snake.

There are definitely a lot of posts on here , and I hope you have found some ideas that are helpful. If not....then ask!!!

xxx

Takagi Posted - 18/03/2010 : 09:22:50
Ello

thanks for the warm welcome, and sorry for the delayed reponce ... gotta love work sometimes.

Ok as for me Im a new starter to this and aiming to get my first Corn pretty soon (once money allow, as just done MOT and Service.... worst time of year heh) but aside from that im a normal LiDAR data processor :p

Im currently looking at a few sites for starter Viv's

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-starter-kits-417/beginner-reptile-kits-461/swell-snake-kit-beginner-151279.html
and
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/snake-beginner-kit.html
(with the latter the place Im looking at getting my corn from, as seems to be a pretty good place and not too far from me in knaresborough)

Also trying to work out best size to get to be good for lil snake, as not too big and make it uncomftable and not too small I need to replace within 3 weeks :)

But my main concerns so far is heating, as in the summer I have no problems in my house.. its in the winter I would be worried about the lil snake as it does get quiet cold in my house so thats been holding me back for a while now. Also been making me read up alot on Viv's to find a good one which will help keep the warm in and the cold out :)

but as you guys said the web is a good source (if not contradictory in some place's) and Ive been going through alot of posts here digging about finding out idea's and place's to look (aside from the DIY ones as im not too good in that field... a computer or Tech I can strip and build.. but a draw unit ....well less its from Ikea with big pitures hehe)

but I am looking forward to it all, just need to decide on the above then a lil ol snake (alot of really nice morph's as well... far too many... harder to decide upon)

then the fun of meeting the lil guy/girl and deciding on a name :D
gmac Posted - 17/03/2010 : 23:45:15
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 17/03/2010 : 19:37:05
Welcome to the forum. Friendly advice on hear mate.
kdlang Posted - 17/03/2010 : 18:37:47
Hi Paul and welcome. Have you got a corn or planning on gettin one? You will get lots of help and friendship here.
lee2308 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 16:53:54
hi and welcome to the forum
gingerpony Posted - 17/03/2010 : 16:18:58
heya and welcome
Mouse Posted - 17/03/2010 : 14:17:32
Heya! welcome!
HannahB Posted - 17/03/2010 : 13:02:53
hey and welcome
feel free to ask any questions - nothing is deemed silly or unimportant
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 12:49:46
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

Hello and Welcome Paul!
This forum certainly feels like Home to me also!!
xXx

And me,

Welcome to the forum mate. This is a great place to make friends and with all the snake keepers, experts and breeders on here it s a wealth of knowledge.

mozacchio Posted - 17/03/2010 : 12:29:02
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Feel free to ask anything..!
Kellog Posted - 17/03/2010 : 11:21:40
Welcome to the forum Paul! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

If you have already decided to call our forum home then you must have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

What about some more info about you? Do you have a corn? If you have how long have you had it, name, age, morph? Or are you thinking of getting one? We are a nosey bunch on here and like to know everything !!

I am sure that you have already found this....there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

I am not sure if you have experienced this but unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I better warn you of the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. Not sure if this is a bit early for you and you havent got your corn yet....or if you have loads of corns to show us !

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

n/a Posted - 17/03/2010 : 11:17:23
Hello and Welcome Paul!
This forum certainly feels like Home to me also!!
xXx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000