The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello from another corn newbie :D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/03/2010 : 14:24:38
So hi! I was told to come introduce my handsome boy Graeme over here, so.. Here we are! (and I apologize, this got long *grin*)

I've loved Corn snakes since my mid teens, when I had the pleasure of getting to know a complete sweetheart of a butter named "Cornflake" that absolutely stole my heart. But I wasn't able to get one of my own until recently when my husband (so we're talking 16 years later) said "Stop whinging about it and find yourself one, your budget is BLAH") so I did.. :D Trying to stay in the budget I had been given, I knew that rescues with all their gear were probably my best bet, and so I just watched Craigslist... Until I saw a Corn w/ his full kit up for well under my budget (which as it turns out was good (see notes further down), as is the fact that my husband is letting me nearly ignore the budget at this point), just down the road from me. So I contacted his (then) owner and we met up, and I got my Graeme Wednesday evening (it is currently Friday morning (yes, I'm in the US, but see no reason to limit my research resources, hope no one minds me being on a UK board)). :)

He is a captive bred Carolina, I was originally told he's 4' long (1.2 m) but I think that's nonsense, I think he's closer to 4'6" (1.4 m)... I actually have NO idea how much he weighs yet, as I haven't figured out how to weigh him... I think I need to set up a sling, or put him in a pillow case or SOMETHING to manage it. But he's a little chunky and he's just plain BIG.. :)

I admit to breaking the one week rule , and I DO know the rule, but since his kit hasn't actually changed, and he's an adult who is used to being handled I had thought it wasn't as awful a transition as if he was a neonate coming from the breeders to an entirely new environment and situation. I figured he'd still be a little stressed so am keeping handling to a very mellow sort of "here is a space, as long as you stay in this space, you can wander around to your little chubby snakey heart's content, and I will pet you as you wander so you get used to me being your human. Oh yeah, and there is a heating pad on low under a towel here if you want a warm spot that isn't too close to the human." So I DID try to find sort of a middle ground on that front..

Before anyone asks (since Kellog already did on the morphs board) in the pictures are a few issues, which I know, and am working on fixing all of these. But I wasn't able to get a list of what he had before he came home to me, so he's staying in the situation he had prior to my getting him while I set up a much improved viv for him.

• He currently only has one hide, which is WAY too small for him.

• His primary heat source is a heat rock, which I have taken off the bottom of his tank and put on top of the hide (it seems to be warmer to the touch on top than it is on the bottom), so he still has a warm place (which is also his only hide) while we get the new tank set up (this weekend).

• He is a BIG boy, in a 30 gallon long, and he doesn't have a lot of room to roam, or anything to climb for exercise (did I mention he was a little chubby, seriously, I've never felt a fat snake before).

• His only water dish is WAYYYYYY too small for him to get his whole body into

But his colors are beautiful, his scales are in great shape, there is no evidence of mites or any respiratory problems, he's well socialized, and he was well fed... All in all his previous owner did what was important and kept him healthy and happy, so... I'm just grateful to her for bringing him to me! :)

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 17/03/2010 : 14:11:46
Heya! welcome! :D
n/a Posted - 16/03/2010 : 10:31:42
Hi & welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 14/03/2010 : 15:54:22
Best OH ever, and although I'm the one who was the real impetus for getting Graeme, I think the reality is that he's just as fond of our newest boy as I am. Though we did decide to just go with a larger tank for the short term, and set the custom viv as something that he can really spend his time working on, rather than something rushed that may not be as good (and leaves him cramped for too long).

We got him a larger water bowl last night that he can get at least a larger chunk of himself into, and since we DO have his new tank, I'm holding off on the change to a mat until that's set up (so that I don't have to go in and poke around his enclosure today and then move him tomorrow, sort of undermines that whole giving him some space thing. But it will be sooner rather than later since the tank is in the cleaning process right now. :)

And my husband managed to do a measure without moving Graeme yesterday, since he was doubled up on one long side of the tank, so Greg just measured that. Graeme is pretty much exactly 5' (1.5 m) - so about a full foot longer than I'd been told.. :) Knew he was a big boy. :)

(and yeahhhh the sig made me giggle :D)
Kellog Posted - 14/03/2010 : 03:35:09
Dont worry too much, I doubt you will have done Graeme any damage. It is just good to make sure that he is nicely settled in to his new home and de-stressed before you start the feeding and handling. By the sounds of it you have a really laid back snake who wasnt bothered by the move , but I am glad you are going to 'give Graeme some space'....frustrating as that may be !

That certainly is a dedicated OH you have ! We have a few forum members who have built their own vivs and stacks so a search on here may give him some good hints (and you some ideas as to what you want him to do ). Be nice for Graeme to have his own personal custom built home to move into....and although it does mean a delay, it also gives him a chance to settle in with you, for you to settle in with him and for him to start feeding regularly.

Am really pleased that you are changing from the heat rock to a heatmat (with a stat I assume?) and thermometer. And dont worry about the cereal box!!! You would be amazed what people use and the snakes love, often choosing them over the bought hides! Loo rolls, kitchen rolls, egg boxes, smarties tubes, beer boxes have all been used....anything that is safe and can fit a snake ! It is so much better that he has the choice of where to go than what it looks like.

Love your new sig - fantastic pic of Graeme! And perfect caption!

xxx
n/a Posted - 13/03/2010 : 14:36:05
*laughs* I probably shouldn't have handled mine, but I sort of thought it would be okay for all the reasons listed above.. My husband and I decided to give Graeme some space now to "undo" any damage we've done..

Annoyingly it looks like there will be a delay in his new viv set up (OH is thinking of actually building him a custom viv rather than buying a larger tank, but I'm going to be turning off the heat rock, adding a heating pad (once I swing out to petsmart this afternoon to pick up a thermometer) and a second hide (a half cereal box) on the cool end of the tank at least for the short term. Not going to be pretty, but.. better than nothing!
HannahB Posted - 13/03/2010 : 12:48:04
hey and welcome
he will definately appreciate some more hidey holes when the new viv is sorted
herriotfan Posted - 12/03/2010 : 22:18:18
Hi
Welcome to the forum....great to have you on board!
Lucky you....can handle your new snake already, I've got to wait 'til next Wednesday before I can hold mine! I've already waited a long time to get him because my hubby and the rest of the family wouldn't let me have one. Isn't it awesome when the day comes and you finally have one of your own!!!
I hope you enjoy it on this forum. You'll find everyone is very friendly and there's always somebody who can help if you need it. Don't be afraid to ask if you need to or help if you can. I'm sure I will ask and help, in future, if I think I need to!
Your lad looks a super guy.....
n/a Posted - 12/03/2010 : 20:28:26
*laughs* No, I didn't mind, just felt guilty and a little bit like "wellll, at least I had thought this through..." *grin* Though to be honest, patience is not a virtue which I was graced with much of, so... I might have just talked my way through it so I could play with him, I will acknowledge that possibility.. ;)

I'm not sure that if I started to collect more of them that my OH would continue to be so incredibly understanding, I love pretty much anything that genetically has 4 or less legs, and so if left to my own devices would have just enough animals that everyone had food and vet bills but there wasn't anything for college or retirement savings, so... He keeps me a little in line.. :)

I actually have never trusted a pet shop, and will probably never buy from one or ask questions of one regarding anything dealing with animals... If I get animals they tend to be rescues or individuals selling their pets for various reasons, OR I go to a breeder.. I have never seen a pet shop that I TRULY trusted the individuals at (with one exception, which has since gone out of business).. Personal reading, the internet and the vet are my sources.. :D And I absolutely figure I'll be on here somewhat regularly as I go through this process.. *grin* Want to be the best snake-mama I can be! :D
Kellog Posted - 12/03/2010 : 20:07:33
It is great to give you an official welcome Petra. I do hope you didnt mind my comments in the morph section (and it isnt really a rule....more of a guide ). It is also lovely to welcome you to the UK!!! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

I am so glad you are aware of the issues that need changing. It is wonderful that you have 'rescued' Graeme, although it does sound as though his previous owner has handed on a very healthy (if chunky!) snake!! I know when I got Silvesta his viv set-up was not ideal and it took me a while to get it right, but because of the advice on here I knew what needed doing and I did it - and have a much happier snake, and I feel a lot happier about it.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got Graeme I hope you got as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

I weigh my snakes using digital scales. I have a shoe box with air holes punched in it. I weigh the box, zero the scales, remove the lid and add the snake, replace the lid = weight of snake. It really does help knowing his weight as you can then gauge whether he is feeding correctly. I am not sure what you feed him at the moment, but if you are concerned about him being 'chunky' it would be interesting to know his weight and feeding schedule. To give you a rough idea my Kellog is 4'6" approx and has just gone over the 800g mark. I have just moved him onto a maintenance diet of a jumbo/ex-large mouse every fortnight.

You have already complied with the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! And you are so right - he is such a handsome boy, that is a perfect description of him.

You are lucky to have the sort of OH you do....many of us find ourselves at odds with our OHs because they dont share our love of corns!! And unfortunately corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 12/03/2010 : 18:54:30
heya and welcome
mozacchio Posted - 12/03/2010 : 18:47:33
Welcome to the forum!
Nice snake you got there..! :) :)
n/a Posted - 12/03/2010 : 18:05:33
Thanks everyone.. :)

JK, he's ~4'-4'6" (so 1.2-1.4m), after having been (albeit kindly ;)) scolded about handling him too soon, I won't be able to pull him out for a real measurement until his week of quiet has passed.. :) (editted to add, actually probably longer than that, since he'll get another week of quiet once he's moved over to his new home)
lee2308 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 18:00:29
hi and welcome to the forum
DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 17:37:56
Hey welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 12/03/2010 : 16:28:58
Welcome to the forum. He's massive how long is he
n/a Posted - 12/03/2010 : 15:57:47
welcome and nice snake. good to hear your doing your best to remedy any issues :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000