The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 New to snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kare Posted - 02/03/2010 : 08:07:18
Hi Im Karen, and I am looking to get my first snake in the next few months. I have been interested in reptiles for a long time and was hoping to get one many years ago at the second Exeter Reptile Expo...but that never happened as the show never happened.

I live in the Torbay area with hubbie (who does NOT want a snake lol) my two dogs (GSD and retriever) and a small collect of small gnawing type animals.

I am a little worried now having looked down the pictures of all the different colours and markings that I wouldnt know if I was sold a Corn snake or something completely different . If they can all look so very different how do you know a corn snake from a non corn snake?lol
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 03/03/2010 : 10:03:30
hi and welcome to the forum
gingerpony Posted - 02/03/2010 : 21:55:15
heya and welcome
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/03/2010 : 16:35:27
Yer im with sammysnake, i think it is far better to go into a shop open minded and look at the individual snakes that they have in there rather than getting stuck on a particular morph. Especially with morphs such as Amel and anery as they can vary quite alot from snake to snake.
Sammysnake Posted - 02/03/2010 : 16:18:38
Aww guys you're very sweet about MY little Twilight (hmm hmm Judith, I've got your number). Judith's right though about the colour change - I picked Twilight because I loved his constrast not realising that the colours can change so dramatically as the snake grows. With each shed his black gets paler (there's a slight touch of brown there but more like dark grey at the moment) and his shiny silver markings are now grey. He's still gorgeous to me though.

IansViv is a great place to look so you know what changes to expect and to see if there are any colours you really don't fancy but other than that, I would go with your instinct and pick the individual you really like. I think all the new babies will be available in a few months so you'll have tons of choice then.

Can't wait to see who you choose.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 14:11:32
Hiya & welcome, I am new to snakes too :o) this is a great friendly forum.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:46:51
Hey Karen, welcome to the forum.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:39:42
Welcome to the forum Karen you will get to know a lot bout keeping corns from the people on here am new to snake keeping as well and have picked up lots of advice from here.

Welcome to the forums again
Kellog Posted - 02/03/2010 : 12:17:58
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

....... i too love twilight .......

I am Twilight's virtual adopted mum (but keep it quiet, Sammysnake doesnt know !!)

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 12:08:20
hello and welcome, i too love twilight and am trying to talk hubby into letting me have one now but not getting very far!! lol i have to make do with my son's snake, took me 6months to talk him into letting him have one..
Kellog Posted - 02/03/2010 : 11:47:42
Welcome to the forum Karen! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is great that you have been interested in keeping reptiles for so long and are finally getting the chance to get one!!! I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Obviously this is early advise for you but necessary - We always suggest you follow the one-week rule when you get your snake (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately, many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. As HannahB said, no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Again, early for you but definitely needs mentioning - the unwritten forum rule.....pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

As far as morphs go I cant guide you much. I have an anery called Silvesta, who is about 3 and a half years old. He is gorgeous. These pics will give you an idea of what an adult anery may look like -http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8156&SearchTerms=Silvesta (must get some up-to-date pics up!). Often people will go onto a site like IansViv and get fixed on a particular morph, but personally I think it is better to go in with an open mind and choose the snake you like the look of! It certainly does help to have a rough idea what the adult version of the snake will look like though, as they do change a lot.

I know your OH doesnt want a snake and you will probably only get this one chance, but a warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!! You never know, once he has had the chance to meet and handle your new family member he may become corn-addicted too!

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 11:18:32
Welcome to the forum i wouldnt worry anerys are one of the most common morphs so finding one should be easy
sexychef Posted - 02/03/2010 : 10:42:20
hi and welcome
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/03/2010 : 09:54:39
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

I have been looking around and I really want a black and white hatchling (anery? is that correct?) How hard would it be to find one of those do you think? Does anyone live close to Exeter, who are the good snake shops, or even better the good breeders in this area?

I will likely only get one chance at getting the right snake as my husband will never allow more than the one.

I'm in Bournemouth, about 90 miles away.
If you REALLY have problems sourcing one, let me know as we may be be selling our little Anery, Bella, soon.
Kare Posted - 02/03/2010 : 09:49:02
Edited as writing at the same time as above

Thanks for the welcomes

Looking at the ian vivarium page the Anery pictured looks very brown, I want one just like Sammysnake's "Twlight" but if it turns brown after a time I'll still love it, thats fine.
HannahB Posted - 02/03/2010 : 09:48:24
hey and welcome to the forum
anery's are lovely but il tell you now they dont keep that high contrast as they grow up,
best thing to do is look on http://iansvivarium.com/ and have a look at the morphs - you can see pics of them as hatchlings and as fully grown adults so you can get an idea of how their colours change
feel free to ask any questions - nothing is deemed silly or unimportant here!!
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 09:33:58
welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place to find out info into corns, i was in the same boat as you for a while and purchased my first corn ssid whos a normal motley about a week and half ago after alot of revision into them, if your worrie about the morph of the snake there are so many out there and this forums holds some of the best people to talk to about morphs, check out ian vivarium for morphs of corn and if you get the chance have a word with eeji the resident morph man lol
again welcome
paul
Kare Posted - 02/03/2010 : 09:21:27
I have been looking around and I really want a black and white hatchling (anery? is that correct?) How hard would it be to find one of those do you think? Does anyone live close to Exeter, who are the good snake shops, or even better the good breeders in this area?

I will likely only get one chance at getting the right snake as my husband will never allow more than the one.

mozacchio Posted - 02/03/2010 : 08:35:48
They are not gonna sell you a non corn snake for a corn. :P I don't think they'll get so mean! :P As for the patterns and the colours, i'm not the best to advise you because i have a normal corn snake (check him out at the photo session! "spaghettino")!
To be sure that they are giving you the morph they tell you it is, you can take a pic and post it at the "morph" session on the forum before you buy it. There are many morph experts in this site. :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000