The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 08:53:59
Hi

After many months of research into corn snakes my Son and I are today picking up our new snake. We tried to find a local breeder but couldn't so we found a shop that buys from a good breeder and has the full history of the snake such as birth date, when fed and when shed.
We have found this site really useful and wanted to say "thanks" and "hello"
Hope we don't bother you with too many silly questions but it is nice to know there is someone out there that we can ask advice from.
Will take some pictures as soon as snake settled in (we are leaving him a week before handling or feeding as you advise).
And yes, it is our Valentines present from my hubby

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 21/02/2010 : 10:02:32
Hello and welcome
Kellog Posted - 21/02/2010 : 03:27:17
Welcome to the forum Maxie! What a wonderful Valentine's present - I got a shortbread heart with 'Kiss Me' on it (my OH can be quite sweet!!) This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am so glad you have done so much research, it is such a relief to hear....too many people just walk into a shop and walk out with a snake, get home and think 'what do I do now?!' . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Glad Sammysnake mentioned The one-week rule...no handling or feeding Max for the first week to allow him to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. And by now you should have reached that magic day!!

Unfortunately, many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Only question regarding Max and his new tank is how long is he and how big is the tank? It is great that he is exploring how he is....but sometimes corns can find large spaces daunting and scary. It doesnt sound like he is but might be an idea to check on size to make sure it sounds ok (I am sure it will be with the research you have done!!). To be honest, it sounds like you have a very settled snake!

So glad you got as much info on Max as you did. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning (and you better warn your hubby too) - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
lee2308 Posted - 17/02/2010 : 21:43:33
hi and welcome to the forum
gingerpony Posted - 17/02/2010 : 21:27:16
heya and welcome
kdlang Posted - 15/02/2010 : 20:29:07
Hi Maxie, welcome to the forums. The thing I love about this site is that people are always willing to answer any questions, even if it is just to post a link to where a similar thread will help. Max seems to be enjoying his new surroundings and I'm sure he will settle in fine. Can't wait to see pics.
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 09:42:15
welcome to the site hun, lots of great people on here with a wealth of knowledge..
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:13:05
Thank you all for welcoming us to the Forum.
Our Snake (Max) is now home and I put his original container with the lid half on and off in the bigger tank so he could come out and explore if he wanted. After about an hour he ventured out and spent some time in the hide and is now exploring like mad. I am hoping this is a good sign.
If it is not and I should have kept him in his small container please tell me !
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 18:06:13
A famous quote is the only stupid question is the one not asked. Asking is painless and these people are very considerate when answering your questions. I'm sure they will agree that your questions will not be considered silly.[quote]Originally posted by Maxie

n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 17:10:09
I wish I'd of had the forethought to of researched, but I really didn't think I'd ever get a snake as my hubby is actually terryfied of them... So when my friend was rehoming her snake, I never thought for one minute that he would agree to me being the adoptive parent...lol. Hence I'm left hounding these poor peeps on here for as much information and advice I can get, which Trevor the Watsit and I are most greatful for I should add...

Anyway, Hello and welcome ;0}
HannahB Posted - 14/02/2010 : 11:31:23
hey and welcome
look forwards to the pics once hes settled in!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 11:15:18
Hey and welcome to the forum.

You deffinitely did the right thing doing your research before hand, i know it certainly helped me out because i found alot of pet shops give you questionable advice as did the one i went to. But since you found a good shop that buys from a reputable breeder this may not be the case.

Don't worry about asking questions wether they may seem silly to you or not, after all it is better to have you question answered than you never knowing.
gmac Posted - 14/02/2010 : 11:13:27
hi and welcome
dinner83 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 11:02:43
welcome to the forum and you have definitly come to the right place for advice the members on here are the dogs do dads when it comes to good advice.
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 09:45:51
Happy Valentines Day!
Welcome to the site!
Congratulations for your New Snake!
Cant wait to see pics!
xXxXx
Sammysnake Posted - 14/02/2010 : 09:02:59
Hi Maxie and welcome. Cool husband - mine's got me a card but it's still in the car and he hasn't written on it yet. I only got the card because we all went to Tesco last night and we were faced by a cast wall of Valentine's stuff in the entrance so he couldn't keep saying he'd forgotten!! Still, shouldn't complain as he bought me my second snake as an extra post-Christmas present this year.

Well done for doing all the research first - the first week no handling rule is really hard but well worth keeping to. Can't wait to see the pics.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000