The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Nocturnal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 07/02/2010 : 15:38:46
Hi all,i am new here & new to keeping corn snakes,so that i do not make any mistakes i will be asking for your help on a number of things. Can you tell me if corn snakes are nocturnal as mine stays in one of its hides all day only coming out at night. I have had him for 1 weak and it is feeding ok,it is aprox,3 months old, in a 40x30x35cm vivarium with a habitat heat mat at one end with a hide,the other hide is on the cool side where he mostly stays.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fal Posted - 09/02/2010 : 08:49:44
Hi Dave, I am in exactly the same position as you at the moment. Our new Corn, Bella, is very shy and she hasn't been out and about in her faunarium when she knows we are here much if at all. She came out when the light was off (watching a move - the sound and lights from the tv didn't bother us), but as soon as the dimmer light was turned up a bit she went back into one of her hides. It is frustrating but we are following the 1 week rule too and hoping she will come out more after that, once used to everything.
My brothers new king snake is fearless on the other hand, and is out all day, but I suspect that's due to kings being a slightly more aggresive snake? Or the fact that my dad works at home so he is seeing 'people' 24/7 where as Bella only see's us in the evening.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted, we'll get through the 1 week period together :)

Jonathan
Kellog Posted - 09/02/2010 : 03:32:56
&
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Thank you all for the warm welcome i recieved when i joined the forum. Kellog i am feeding him one pinky at the moment & i will keep to the one week rule & i will get a digital thermometer, i am keeping a diarie for feeding shedding but i dont know if i will do the poo. He is about 40cm long and on the card i got from the pet shop it said it was a Reverse Okeetee about 3 months old i will try and get a photo as soon as possible. I am calling him Spot On as that is whats on the bottom of a pint of Carling and i do like a pint.

Sounds like you are doing a great job Dave (just the fact that you are on here asking questions shows that )!!

Well done for keeping to the one-week rule and I am so pleased you are getting the digital thermometer. It is also great that you are keeping the diary. Weight is a very good thing to keep a note of as well cos it is sensible to keep an eye on his growth that way and helpful to act as a guide (guide only) as to when he needs to up his feeding. I do understand about not keeping note of his bowel movements...it does seem a bit over-the-top , although I will say that it is good in case there is a change in their 'movements', you can look back and see what their normal pattern is and when they last pooed...which can be important if you are worried about impaction (a blockage).

I cant wait to see pics of Spot On - love the name, and the reason for it! But will he be nicknamed Spot ?!

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 08/02/2010 : 21:33:34
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 08/02/2010 : 18:06:37
Thank you all for the warm welcome i recieved when i joined the forum. Kellog i am feeding him one pinky at the moment & i will keep to the one week rule & i will get a digital thermometer, i am keeping a diarie for feeding & shedding but i dont know if i will do the poo. He is about 40cm long and on the card i got from the pet shop it said it was a Reverse Okeetee about 3 months old i will try and get a photo as soon as possible. I am calling him Spot On as that is whats on the bottom of a pint of Carling and i do like a pint.
n/a Posted - 08/02/2010 : 17:03:38
Snickers has come out during the day, mostly just checking out movement, but it's after sunset that she really becomes active when she decides she wants to be. Unlike some snakes mine happens to be quite shy. Wecome to the forum by the way. [quote]Originally posted by Dave
n/a Posted - 08/02/2010 : 16:07:07
Hello and Welcome
xXx
Kellog Posted - 08/02/2010 : 03:17:41
Welcome to the forum Dave! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is great that you are trying to find out as much as you can about your new snake. I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Gmac has already guided you to the best information for newbies, the care sheet and 'Your 1st Snake'.

So glad you kept to The one-week rule. So few people are advised to do this and you really do need to not handle or feed for the first week to allow the snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. It is such a hard and frustrating week, as I am sure you found, but worth it for the snake's sake. It is also good news that he is feeding ok. Am assuming he has only had the one feed so far. What is he feeding on and how often?

You have got good answers to your questions so far from Gmac, Matty and Kd. I would definitely advise the digital thermometer as soon as possible, as already mentioned stats cannot be trusted and must be monitored independantely. Because snakes dont feel heat like we do it is too easy for them to get burnt if the stat doesn't work and allows the mat to get too hot.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got your snake I hope you got as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
kdlang Posted - 07/02/2010 : 21:32:46
Welcome Dave. You can get digital thermometers pretty cheap off ebay. Thats where I got mine from and they work a treat. Would love to see some pics of your little baby
n/a Posted - 07/02/2010 : 20:50:53
Welcome to the forum Dave glad to see another member joining.
gmac Posted - 07/02/2010 : 20:41:34
quote:

Thank you gmac for your reply,yes i am using a thermostat,should i also use a digital temp gauge with a seperate probe taped to the thermostat probe to get a more accurate temp reading?.

yes you should be using a digital thermometer, the dial on the stat is not always accurate and the dial thermometers are worse than useless.
n/a Posted - 07/02/2010 : 20:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Corn snakes are crepuscular, active at dawn and dusk.

Thank you Matty18714
n/a Posted - 07/02/2010 : 20:11:23
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Hey welcome to the forum,corn snakes do prefere to be out of a night but may still venture out of a daytime.

Did you follow the one week rule?

As Gmac asked, is your heatmat controled by a thermostat? if not then it should be as unstatted heat mats can become dangerously hot.

Thank you DannyBrown91, yes i am using a thermostat & yes i am following the one week rule.
n/a Posted - 07/02/2010 : 20:07:07
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Hi Dave welcome to the forum, have a look through the care sheet http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
and this one
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

also is your heat mat controlled by a thermostat.

Thank you gmac for your reply,yes i am using a thermostat,should i also use a digital temp gauge with a seperate probe taped to the thermostat probe to get a more accurate temp reading?.
matty18714 Posted - 07/02/2010 : 19:18:08
Corn snakes are crepuscular, active at dawn and dusk.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 07/02/2010 : 17:45:19
Hey welcome to the forum,corn snakes do prefere to be out of a night but may still venture out of a daytime.

Did you follow the one week rule?

As Gmac asked, is your heatmat controled by a thermostat? if not then it should be as unstatted heat mats can become dangerously hot.
gmac Posted - 07/02/2010 : 15:44:06
Hi Dave welcome to the forum, have a look through the care sheet http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
and this one
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

also is your heat mat controlled by a thermostat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000