The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hey everyone, newbie on board

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/02/2010 : 14:05:25
Hey guys! How we all doing? Just like to say i got my first corn snake yesterday and she's beautiful baby. I' not entirely sure what type she is, the lady in the shop never said but she's really orange with red markings, she's gorgeous.
Got a nice wee viv for her and she seems relaxed. I left her in herself all last night and this morning, but i think i did something bad. The lady in the shop says she gets fed on saturday mornings... so i fed her. Is that ok? I know your meant to settle them in for a week but i tapped the top of the hide just to let her know i was there and placed the pinky down on the cold side, she came straight out. I wandered away for 10 minutes to give her some privacy and when i came back, no mouse. Think thats ok? I mean, she must've been starving because she was straight over to it.
I've been watching her since and she seems fine just floating about, she likes to burrow underneath the aspen, i think maybe its too thick, its about 1.5cm's but we'll learn together.
Cheers guys!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 07/02/2010 : 13:42:34
Hey guys, thanks for giving me such a warm welcome :)

I'll try and get pics up soon!!! x
KITTYCAT Posted - 07/02/2010 : 12:47:55
Hi n welcome
Kellog Posted - 07/02/2010 : 04:41:46
Welcome to the forum Rhona! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is so exciting getting your first corn, isnt it!

The forum provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Gmac has also guided you to an excellent link to 'Your 1st Snake'.

It is a shame that you have fed her but it is something that has been done, and she was hungry. You just need to watch for a regurge, which may happen if she is stressed. You obviously know about the one-week rule, and I would suggest (as HannahB has) that you start that from now....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow her to get over the stress of the move and for her to get used to the new smells and her new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means she can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops , as you have experienced, but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Again you have already discovered this, but unfortunately, with many pet shops you cannot trust what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

Gmac has also mentioned the concerns about feeding your snake in the viv, as this means she may swallow some of the aspen when she eats the pinkie. This can cause impaction, which is quite serious. It is best to feed outside the viv in a small RUB (really useful box) and then, once the pinkie has reached about her middle, gently lift her back into her viv or tip the RUB slightly to allow her to slide out. If you are unsure about feeding her outside the viv then you can put the pinkie down on a piece of kitchen roll or paper...but it is best to try and get her used to feeding outside the viv as it becomes harder once they get larger.

When you got your snake I hope you got as much info about her as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 06/02/2010 : 22:07:04
heya and welcome
HannahB Posted - 06/02/2010 : 21:55:46
hey and welcome
ideally you should have left the new arrival for a week - that way they can settle in with no extra stresses, they can easily go several weeks without food so missing one feed wouldnt have been a problem..
Id probably leave her for a week now..no handling, no feeding, nothing.. just regular water chenges every day.. that gives her chance to settle in and get used to her new surroundings
she sounds like a carolina/normal or possibly an amel - look forwards to the pics
n/a Posted - 06/02/2010 : 20:37:48
welcome to the forum glad to have you on board
kdlang Posted - 06/02/2010 : 19:46:27
hiya and welcome to the gang. There is lots of information on this site from the very important care sheets to advice from forum members. Have a good browse through and if there is anything your not sure about just ask, everyone is really friendly and willing to help you do the best for your new addition. Can't wait to see some photos of her. some of the more experienced peeps on here will be able to tell you what morph she is.
lmfastcars Posted - 06/02/2010 : 19:40:06
hey :) glad to hear shes settling down.
nails Posted - 06/02/2010 : 17:36:22
Hello and welcome to the forum.
lee2308 Posted - 06/02/2010 : 16:29:01
Hi and welcome to the forum
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/02/2010 : 15:18:04
hello and welcome.
gmac Posted - 06/02/2010 : 15:06:49
hiya and welcome, have a look at this thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133. I wouldnt feed off of the substrate just incase snakey eats some of the aspen or tap the hide.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000