The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hi & help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 15:00:40
can anyone help? i have just got my corn snake back after he escaped 4 months ago. i have had him back a week now & he was letting me handle him with no problems when i got him back. i have started feeding him bigger mice than before he went missing and he ate them no problem. he was fed 2 days ago but when i tried to take him out today he is being very aggresive and tried to bite me several times which he has never done before. could this be because he is not used to the bigger mice and is still digesting them? before he went missing he would let me handle him a few days after feeding. any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 29/01/2010 : 03:49:40
quote:
Originally posted by tommy1203

thats him back to normal now and letting me handle him with no problems. thanks again all

So glad that he is back to normal now Tommy and letting you handle him without being aggressive...that is really good news !

xxx
n/a Posted - 28/01/2010 : 14:02:53
thats him back to normal now and letting me handle him with no problems. thanks again all
gingerpony Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:03:29
heya and welcome
Taz Devil Posted - 27/01/2010 : 14:31:39
Glad to hear that you have your snake back. He should calm down after a while, once he gets used to being back home.

It must have been scary for him being all alone in a place like a shop, all those strange people wandering around.
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 22:32:32
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

leave him for a few days to settle and then start again with small amounts of handling.. hes been in an environment with no human contact for a while so hes probably forgotten that you arent a threat to him

thank you for your help hannah
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 19:56:35
thanx to all for your help and advice. greatly appreciated.
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 19:52:36
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

Hello and Welcome!

Was he found in a carried bag?
There was one like that in Scotland last week that made it to the BBC News website!

he was on the news and in 4 or 5 papers. he was given to my ex girlfriend and i went and got him last week and he was letting me handle him, & yes it was in scotland but he was not in a carrier bag. he was found wraped round a heating pipe trying to keep warm i think in the spar shop below where i was living at the time
Kellog Posted - 26/01/2010 : 03:44:11
I think your question has really been answered Tommy...although he let you handle him before you fed him he may still need to be left for the week to settle. He has been gone a long time and when you found him he may have been weak and lethargic from hunger, which is why he handled so well.

How long had you had him before he escaped? What was he feeding on?

I know your immediate response will be to feed him up after him being gone for so long, but if may be an idea to reduce back down to his usual size of mouse for a bit before increasing them??? I may be totally wrong in this as I am NO expert, but I just wonder if the change is a bit much for him....also you say 'mice', does that mean he is feeding a couple of mice at a time? How old is he and what is his weight? You did the right thing in waiting a couple of days after feeding him before handling him, they need the 48hrs to digest their food.

You do need to treat him as a new snake, as Danny said....and repeat the one-week rule - no handling or feeding to allow him to get over the stress of his escape and then being found and put back into, what for him, would now be strange surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means he can get used to your smell again and not feel threatened by you.

Definitely do as HannahB has suggested....when you do start to handle him do it in very small amounts and slowly build it up. Literally start with only 5 minute sessions but return him to the viv if he is showing signs of stress. As he gets used to you again then you can begin to increase the handling time, but do it slowly.

xxx
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 19:36:14
I would not worry about it he might of just been in a mood where he did not want handling.
Its funny you posted this because the skittish one of mine Coco who is the smallest as well struck at my hand today.
The first time that as happened to me.
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:05:42
Hello and Welcome!

Was he found in a carried bag?
There was one like that in Scotland last week that made it to the BBC News website!
HannahB Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:05:37
leave him for a few days to settle and then start again with small amounts of handling.. hes been in an environment with no human contact for a while so hes probably forgotten that you arent a threat to him
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 15:21:27
quote:
Originally posted by Oakey

Where was he when he escaped?

he was found in the spar shop down stairs from where i used to live.
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 15:15:57
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Even if he was still digesting, which i doubt he will have been, this wouldn't or atleast shouldn't make him aggressive.

If he has been gone 4 months, it may be better for you to treat him as if he was a new snake. Leave him in his tank for a week no handling, just change his water daily and go from there. He may well be very stressed and this time should help to relax him.

ok, thanks for your help. i thought he would have been ok as he let me handle him last week when i got him back & since then up until he was fed. once i fed him i left him a couple of day as i had been told to do this once they have been fed but just today when he bit i was concerned as this is totaly out of charactor with him.
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 15:09:02
Where was he when he escaped?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 15:06:44
Even if he was still digesting, which i doubt he will have been, this wouldn't or atleast shouldn't make him aggressive.

If he has been gone 4 months, it may be better for you to treat him as if he was a new snake. Leave him in his tank for a week no handling, just change his water daily and go from there. He may well be very stressed and this time should help to relax him.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000