The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 23/01/2010 : 17:23:08
Hi everyone. I'm Pete and that's my new baby corn snake Shoes in the picture climbing around on my hand. I've had him since Thursday and I love him! He's due to shed so he's been hiding around in his tank for the last day, just waiting for him to do his stuff. Hopefully he'll do it today and then I can give him his regular mice (2 pinkies) tomorrow. Anyhow, looking forward to being part of this community and perhaps getting some advice from you all if I have problems. I'll post some pics of him at some point as I'm trying to figure out what morph he is. :D
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 10:13:04
Chrissy, that is an adorable picture of TOF. Perfect for a hello.
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

hey and welcome

Kellog Posted - 25/01/2010 : 02:37:50
Welcome to the forum Pete and Shoes (love the name )! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

As HannahB has already mentioned you should not handle or feed Shoes for a week. This is The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow him to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means Shoes can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Unfortunately with many pet shops you cannot trust what they are telling you . Double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got Shoes I hope you got as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 18:13:06
hey and welcome
nails Posted - 24/01/2010 : 15:15:44
Hello and welcome Pete
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 13:31:36
Hi Pete and welcome
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 12:19:30
Welcome to the forum Pete

Take the advice of what HannahB has said in her thread and it will be well worth it.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 23/01/2010 : 23:57:28
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum any questions some one will be able to answer ya dont think it be me though lol
LittleMick Posted - 23/01/2010 : 23:51:49
Hi Pete welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 23/01/2010 : 22:52:11
hey and welcome
i knwo its all exciting and new but its best to try and leave them for a week when you first get a corn - no handling,no feeding just regular water changes, it just gives them time to adjust to their new surroundings
might be an idea to leave him for a few days before feeding just so he can have some time to himself he wont mind going for a few days longer without food - corns are a lot hardier than we give them credit for and will easily go for weeks without feeding,
look forwards to more pics
n/a Posted - 23/01/2010 : 22:07:16
Hello and Welcome!

Shoes is a Great name!

xXx
n/a Posted - 23/01/2010 : 20:06:41
Hi Pete. I'm Ben.

Shoes s a cool but unusual name!? Can not see photo of him though?

Welocme and I'm sure you will pick a lot up from the care sheet and other users' topics and info on the site.

EDIT: Just clicked your name and saw your profile picture. Nice little guy.
n/a Posted - 23/01/2010 : 19:54:54
hello and welcome...
lmfastcars Posted - 23/01/2010 : 18:03:22
Hey and Welcome to the Forum :)
gingerpony Posted - 23/01/2010 : 17:51:48
heya and welcome
gmac Posted - 23/01/2010 : 17:25:23
hey and welcome
hillzi Posted - 23/01/2010 : 17:23:32
Hey

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000