The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi To All From New Grandfather

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 11:52:51
Hello All

My two sons got common corn snakes for xmas , they seem to be getting on very well.

It has taken nearly a year for Santa to bring them after many a "dad dad dad dad dad can we have corn snakes" about 30 times a day for a year.

I have a question regarding their enclosure,Jeffery and Cedric are approx 12" long and currently live in a plastic container placed inside a 36" wooden viv, half on a heat mat, should a large amount of substrate be placed inbetween the the plastic container to avoid over heating.

Last question for now , how long should we keep them in the small plastic housing , I have had different views from our two local reptile centres.

Thank you for any suggestions.

From a proud new granfather of Cedric & Jeffery

19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 19/01/2010 : 00:18:13
hi jonah, welcome to the forum from another newbie, lots of great help and advise. this site seems to be addictive xxx
kdlang Posted - 18/01/2010 : 22:55:23
Hello and welcome to our club Jonah.

Matts_mum - I didn't think of that. That means I'm a granny too, certainly wasn't expecting that for a few years lol. I won't tell my mum that she is a great granny just yet.
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 02:51:38
Welcome to the forum Adrian! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corns snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. The care sheet on here, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm , has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I do hope you were told The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snakes to get over the stress of the move and for them to get used to the new smells and their new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snakes are getting used to your smell and not being threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snakes to de-stress and feel safe with you. Obviously you you have had your corns for longer than the week, but it would be good to leave them for a week now before you feed/handle them again. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snakes' sake.

Unfortunately with many pet shops you cannot trust what they are telling you . Double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

I am so glad you are already asking questions and it looks like you have got the answers needed. I am so pleased Jeffery and Cedric are not being housed together, there are a lot of dangers to co-habiting that people dont realise . A lot of forum members who have young snakes use RUBs (really useful boxes), the sort you can buy in any shop. You can then drill airholes and holes for the necessary cables. Or as LittleMick suggested, the faunariums are a very good way to go.

When you got your snakes I hope you got as much info about them as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

I am shocked no-one has mentioned the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. Am looking forward to seeing pics of them so we can see what sort of morph they are.

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!! These may be your sons' snakes but I wonder how long it will be before you want a corn of your own !!

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 17/01/2010 : 22:46:30
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 19:56:27
Hey congratulations on your two new family members. Welcome with the rest of us reptile lovers.
quote:
Originally posted by jonah

Hello All

My two sons got common corn snakes for xmas , they seem to be getting on very well.

It has taken nearly a year for Santa to bring them after many a "dad dad dad dad dad can we have corn snakes" about 30 times a day for a year.

I have a question regarding their enclosure,Jeffery and Cedric are approx 12" long and currently live in a plastic container placed inside a 36" wooden viv, half on a heat mat, should a large amount of substrate be placed inbetween the the plastic container to avoid over heating.

Last question for now , how long should we keep them in the small plastic housing , I have had different views from our two local reptile centres.

Thank you for any suggestions.

From a proud new granfather of Cedric & Jeffery

n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 19:22:47
Welcome Jonah, congrats on the new arrivals. Omg, does this mean I am now a grannie since our new arrival is my sons snake?
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 18:11:41
Thank you to all for the warm greetings

Jonah
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 17:48:16
hi and welcome Jonah
nails Posted - 17/01/2010 : 17:08:17
Hello and welcome
newsnakekeeper Posted - 17/01/2010 : 16:35:10
Welcome to the site from another newbie we learn enuff and then forgot wat we where told or is that just me with old age
HannahB Posted - 17/01/2010 : 16:25:07
hey and welcome
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 14:38:05
Hi and welcome from another newbie
LittleMick Posted - 17/01/2010 : 14:29:14
Hi Jonah, welcome to the forum.

When you say plastic containers, are they the ones that they were in whie in the store? Or are they in Faunariums?

My Elijah is in a Faunarium 18" x 12" x 7 1/2".

Going by the enclosure Length + width = length of snake guide line then he should be good in this until he is 30" (2 1/2') long.
You can see by that image where the heat mat is on the right hand side under the Faun, the substrate is also thinner there even more so under the hide.

Regards
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 13:36:31
Hello and Welcome!
Cant wait to see pics :)
xXx
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 12:21:39
Thank you very much , I will post some pics of Jeffery & Cedric in the nest few day

Jonah
matty18714 Posted - 17/01/2010 : 12:16:50
Yes, I would go up in sizes of plastic tubs until they are over 2.5-3ft and can go in the viv.

And welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 12:14:45
Hi Matty

They are in seperate vivs , So should I get a larger plastic conatainer as they grow to a certain size rather than let them out in the viv in the future.

Thanks again
Jonah
lmfastcars Posted - 17/01/2010 : 12:12:20
hey and welcome :)
matty18714 Posted - 17/01/2010 : 12:06:43
Are they housed seperatly? Corns that size tend to be cannablistic.

There should be very little substrate above the area the heatmat covers. The heat mat should be on a thermostat to prevent it over heating and causing a lot of damage.

The general rule of thumb for housing is Length of container + Depth of a container = Maximum Length Of Snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000