The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/01/2010 : 22:32:25
hi there had my caramel corn for 4 months now and got him a friend (ghost corn) im just looking for information on how they see and there other senses as ive been told they dont see like other snakes (infra red) is this true
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 03/01/2010 : 14:44:31
heya and welcome

thre's no real difference between how corns see and any other snake species sees, the only exception would be certain boids that have heat pits to detect heat.......i imagine they see more like Predator does (if you've seen the film)
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:00:56
hi and welcome
cute corns you have there!
HannahB Posted - 03/01/2010 : 12:14:49
hey and welcome
please please read that link kellog posted about cohabiting..there are a lot of risks and stress involved for the snakes..
nice snakes though
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 10:26:45
Hello and Welcome
x
Kellog Posted - 03/01/2010 : 03:11:38
Hi Darren. Welcome to the forum. You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus . Not sure what you already know about snakes (especially as you have had your caramel for 4 months), so apologies for if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

I know your caramel isnt new, but your ghost is so I hope you know the one-week rule - no handling or feeding for the first week after getting it. This gives it time to get over the stress of the move and get used to its new environment. All you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snake has a chance to get used to your smell.

The care sheet on here is very good (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I can see that you are co-habiting your snakes. There are a lot of differing opinions on this and I hope you are aware of the risks. Please read this link - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7508&SearchTerms=co-habiting

No question asked on this forum is a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!! Unfortunately pet shops often give 'questionable' advice , so please check out on here anything you are told just to make sure that what they have said is right.

In relation to your question about snake senses this may be of interest to you....http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1831&aid=2974

I hope when you got your snakes you got as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !

You have already complied with the unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! They are beautiful looking snakes.

I dont think you need this warning but will mention it anyway - Keeping corns is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while others who are not so lucky try to contain their jealousy!! You are already on 2 after only 4 months, wonder how long before you get number 3!

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 02:35:54
Casper the friendly Ghost! haha good one
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 02:23:53
They both look lovely, recently bought a ghost snake myself. Looking to get a CandyCane aswelll, they are the type i was originally looking for but when i went to the shop, i fell in love with Casper.

Can't wait, but anyway

Welcome to the forums, I only recently joined up but from what i have seen everybody is really friendly and very knowledgable.
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:46:36
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

All corns see the same they perceive Red as twilight and they sense infrared with pits for striking and killing their prey.

thanks thats what i was wanting to know i worded it a bit wrong i was looking for the difference between corns and other snakes i knew my corns both seen the same way lol
craramel corn (baby)
ghost corn (ssst)
Stumpy Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:09:15
All corns see the same they perceive Red as twilight and they sense infrared with pits for striking and killing their prey.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:05:21
I'm pretty sure the only difference between one healthy corn snake and another is colourations and patterns.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000