The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:19:08
hi folks, i'm new on this site and yesterday i bought a norm corn snake and i know that he is nervous, but he always strikes at me! any tips?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 04/01/2010 : 16:28:50
Hey! Agree with the big P.
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/01/2010 : 14:26:23
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The snake is cracking, a brilliant strike pose there.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 04/01/2010 : 13:18:56
Got my first corn snake last tuesday, she seems to be settling in, i havn't handled her since the day i bought her but she is also pretty snappy, hopefully she will calm down when i start handling her and she gets used to my presence.
n/a Posted - 04/01/2010 : 12:15:20
thanks
n/a Posted - 03/01/2010 : 02:39:25
That is a b-e-a-utiful snake! best normal i've seen. I've only beeen looking a few weeks though lol. but yeah definatly leave it for 7 days i'm on day 4 at the moment! it will be worth it :)
n/a Posted - 02/01/2010 : 21:49:19
Welcome to the forum!

Nice picture of your snake!
kdlang Posted - 02/01/2010 : 13:30:40
Hi he is a real stunner. great pic
n/a Posted - 02/01/2010 : 12:31:26
Hi
Your snake is lovely...

Lyn :)
hiper2009 Posted - 02/01/2010 : 12:18:44
Hey and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 02/01/2010 : 12:17:39
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 18:39:30
Hello and Welcome- nice snake pic
xXx
Kellog Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:54:26
Welcome to the forum Lucy and Diavlo! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus . I am not sure if you know anything about snakes, so apologies for if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

As already mentioned there is the one-week rule - no handling or feeding for the first week after getting him. This gives Diavlo time to get over the stress of the move and get used to his new environment. All you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snake has a chance to get used to your smell.

HannahB has already mentioned the care sheet on here, which has lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!! Unfortunately pet shops often give 'questionable' advice , so please check out on here anything you are told just to make sure that what they have said is right.

I hope when you got Diavlo you got as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !

You have already complied with the unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! Diavlo looks beautiful. Well done with doing your sig!

A warning - Keeping corns is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while others who are not so lucky try to contain their jealousy!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:15:45
never mind, ive done it
:-D
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:54:45
how can i make a signature for my profile?
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:50:48
thanks for the tips you guys, i suppose i should know because my step brother and step sister have corns as well
HannahB Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:31:37
hey and welcome

snakes can go for months without feeding so missing one feed will not be a problem..
hes probably very nervous but leaving him alone for a week should calm him down a little bit..
when the 7 days are up give him a pinkie (or whatever hes feeding on) and then wait two days before handling him..this is essential - you dont want him to puke it back up!

with regards to his snappy attitude hes probably terrified and not used to being handled.. when you can handle him just be brave and go for it.. if he nips he nips - the worst that can happen is a few puncture marks and a bit of blood.. if you feel nervous and show it in your actions then he will take advantage of it adn lash out.. also you could put a sock or glove with your scent in his viv so he can get used to your scent without the stresses of handling..

also you might want to read this care sheet, it has all the need to know info about corns and how to keep them
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

hes lovely btw
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:33:47
Lovely corn you have there. Congratulations.

Your snake will be fine if it misses a feed during the settling in period.

I bet after your snake settles in and has a meal or too it will be much calmer
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

wow he is stunner, really nice. congrats.

my dad took the pic with one of his posh cameras
n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:23:35
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

welcome to the forum, nice to meet and glad that you have decided to go with a snake. 1 thing is that you bought the snake yesterday and really you should be leaving it for 7 days. no touching or feeding for 7 days. this lets the snake settle in. you should on really be doing spot cleans and water changes.

thanks for the tip, but if he misses a feed wouldn't he get more grumpy?
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2010 : 15:22:06
wow he is stunner, really nice. congrats.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000