The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello All!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lr2188uk Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:22:46
Hey guys, Just joined up after a few days of skulting around looking at threads, Im off tomorrow to find my first corn snake and I'm really excited! Ive never kept snakes before but have done quite abit of reasearch from this site and other sources and im going to have a good natter with my local reptile shop, its two by two in Plymouth, has anybody heard of this or used it? Are they any good?

Well thats me! Cant wait to get started!
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 30/12/2009 : 14:31:15
Hello and welcome to the forum
gingerpony Posted - 29/12/2009 : 21:56:24
quote:
Originally posted by lr2188uk

...i have no problem with the heat mat end of the tank but my house is quite often cold, how much will this affect the non heated end?
as long as your warm end temp is ok i wouldn't worry about it hun
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/12/2009 : 21:43:14
quote:
Originally posted by lr2188uk

the girlfriend lives here too and shes paying half so its both of ours, and she doesnt like red eyes or red scales i don't think.

I bought my first snake earlier on today, I chose the Ghost, very nice snakes maybe you should give them a look.
lee2308 Posted - 29/12/2009 : 11:36:09
hi and welcome to the forum
lr2188uk Posted - 29/12/2009 : 09:39:22
Thanks for the help! I did read those bits and peices and they were really useful! I will get pics ASAP but I lack a camera one more question i have is about the temperatures, i have no problem with the heat mat end of the tank but my house is quite often cold, how much will this affect the non heated end? Can i do anything to fix this other than warming the hoiuse up?

Thanks
Kellog Posted - 29/12/2009 : 03:15:17
Welcome to the forum lr2188uk (a name would be so much easier to say hi to!!) ! If you have been skulking here for a while you will have found that this is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship. I am not sure how much information you already know about corns snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

You probably have already looked at this but...read the care sheet on here (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Hopefully you know the one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snake is getting used to your smell and no being threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you.

So glad you are already asking questions...and know not to trust what the pet shops are telling you. Think you have got the answers you need alreay so wont add to that.

Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

I am surprised you havent already been told the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link should help you with that....http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Cant wait to see what morph you get - and whether you or the OH gets what they want!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and many start with one and go on to get more, while those of us who only stay with one watch jealously!

xxx
hillzi Posted - 28/12/2009 : 23:41:16
Hey :)
HannahB Posted - 28/12/2009 : 23:02:02
hey and welcome

what kind of tank is included with that kit? the exo terra large flat fauns are ideal for hatchlings,
make sure you get a digital thermometer if its not already included..
and tbh a light isnt necessary - corns do well with just a heat mat
n/a Posted - 28/12/2009 : 20:28:00
tis a shame your girl doesnt like red eyes, but still many a great snakeling with black eyes

regarding the set up - you dont really need a light, if there is more than one hide and thermometer included then yeh, sounds good to me
n/a Posted - 28/12/2009 : 20:09:01
Hello and Welcome
Congrats for your first snake tomorrow
xXx
lr2188uk Posted - 28/12/2009 : 20:08:00
I've just checked the two by two website and ive found that they do a starter kit with a carolina hatchling for 125pound or with a amel, anery or snow for 135pounds.

The kit includes tank/heat mat/thermostat-mat stat/light/substrate/water dish/hide/plant/thermometer and snake

This seems pretty good to me but im not sure... what would i need to look for with a kit like this? are there any problems with them? Is the kit not going to be very good or will it be alright?

Thanks everyone
lr2188uk Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:57:44
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will definetly get a thermostat for the mat, im not sure what to do about a light yet, I may wait for a while and get one in the future.

There are so many morphs I find them difficult to understand, I really like blood reds or diffusions. I also like snows or I would like a black one.

But the girlfriend lives here too and shes paying half so its both of ours, and she doesnt like red eyes or red scales i don't think.

So i think its probably going to be either a carolina or an anery (if thats the browny one)

But we'll go tomorrow and i'll see what they have, either way im really excited....!
gingerpony Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:50:18
heya and welcome

i'm sure you'll find one you like
lmfastcars Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:42:59
Welcome and good luck on your snakey hunt :)
n/a Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:27:27
hi and welcome
have fun searching for snakey tomorrow, got any particular morph in mind yet?
matty18714 Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:24:10
Hello and welcome. Make sure you get a mat stat, even though the shop may say you dont need one.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000