The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 another newbie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tinamiles Posted - 11/12/2009 : 21:44:16
hey everyone! just thought id drop a hi in here, to formally introduce me+my snake. Im Tina, and my Cornsnakes called Blaze. He's only 40cm at the moment, and about 3 months old i think.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 18/12/2009 : 17:45:02
Hello and welcome to the forum
KITTYCAT Posted - 14/12/2009 : 11:56:50
Hi n welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 16:25:41
hi and welcome!
Kellog Posted - 13/12/2009 : 04:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles
[br Hi kellog
thank you for all your advice. Thought id reply best i could.
Ive had blaze since end of october+yes, i did leave him for a good week with no contact. Im also very aware that he shouldnt be handled for 2-3 days after eating (and i feed him outside of his viv to avoid substrate swallowing) I bought him from a local reptile shop, where the guy is very knowledgable! I also did alot of research before i got him!

Ive already started keeping track of his length+his activities+health. He's shed twice since ive had him+ive kept both sheds so i can compare how fast he's growing. Going to start weighing him immediately before every feed as of today..dont want him getting fat/to thin!

Seems like there are alot of knowledgable people on here, just hope i never need any vet advice..dont want Blaze getting ill at all!

thanks again

T x

Thanks for replying Tina, and once again apologies for advice you obviously already knew . Sounds like you have a great petshop that gives the right advice....you are so lucky, too many of us have had bad experiences with petshops who dont know what you think about. Also sounds like you did your research before you got Blaze, which is wonderful and so rarely done...too many people walk think a snake is a cool pet, go out and buy one but dont know anything about looking after them.

Hopefully you will never be in the position to need pet advise, but if you are ever worried just post on here in the health section and you should get help and support. We have a resident 'herp vet'...she just isnt qualified but her knowledge is amazing! Just yell for GingerPony and she will come running!! I know if Kellog was ill I would turn to her first.

Glad things are going to well for you and Blaze, sounds like you are both settling in really well together.

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 12/12/2009 : 22:02:11
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 12/12/2009 : 16:53:11
Hello and Welcome!
:)
xx
kizzig Posted - 12/12/2009 : 16:30:11
Hi and welcome!
tinamiles Posted - 12/12/2009 : 09:40:45
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Welcome to the forum Tina! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much advice you were given when you got Blaze or how long you have had him, so I am sorry if I am repeating stuff you already know but it is better heard twice than not at all! I would advise the following:

1. As I am not sure how long you have had Blaze I dont know if you did or are doing the one-week hands off period, which is very frustrating but vital. You need to leave him for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let him settle into his new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way he gets used to your smell.

2. This care sheet is really helpful (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you got as much info on Blaze when you got him....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!

5. Sounds like you have already complied with the unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible!

I had better warn you though - Keeping corns is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while those of us who are not so lucky try to contain our jealousy!!

xxx

Hi kellog
thank you for all your advice. Thought id reply best i could.
Ive had blaze since end of october+yes, i did leave him for a good week with no contact. Im also very aware that he shouldnt be handled for 2-3 days after eating (and i feed him outside of his viv to avoid substrate swallowing) I bought him from a local reptile shop, where the guy is very knowledgable! I also did alot of research before i got him!

Ive already started keeping track of his length+his activities+health. He's shed twice since ive had him+ive kept both sheds so i can compare how fast he's growing. Going to start weighing him immediately before every feed as of today..dont want him getting fat/to thin!

Seems like there are alot of knowledgable people on here, just hope i never need any vet advice..dont want Blaze getting ill at all!

thanks again

T x
gmac Posted - 11/12/2009 : 23:57:21
hello and welcome to the forum
LittleMick Posted - 11/12/2009 : 23:28:46
Hi Tina, welcome to the forum.
Kellog Posted - 11/12/2009 : 22:36:55
Welcome to the forum Tina! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much advice you were given when you got Blaze or how long you have had him, so I am sorry if I am repeating stuff you already know but it is better heard twice than not at all! I would advise the following:

1. As I am not sure how long you have had Blaze I dont know if you did or are doing the one-week hands off period, which is very frustrating but vital. You need to leave him for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let him settle into his new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way he gets used to your smell.

2. This care sheet is really helpful (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you got as much info on Blaze when you got him....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!

5. Sounds like you have already complied with the unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible!

I had better warn you though - Keeping corns is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while those of us who are not so lucky try to contain our jealousy!!

xxx

lee2308 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 22:05:42
hi tina and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 11/12/2009 : 21:51:03
hey and welcome
blaze is lovely - gorgeous little face

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000