The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 14/11/2009 : 17:46:56
Hello,

This is my first post.

I am 20 years old, from Staffordshire.

I am hoping to get a baby corn snake in the near futire, i have read the care sheet and lots of other articles bit ive still got a few other questions.

I will ask them in the relevent section though.

Look forward to speaking to some of you soon,

Gaz
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 20/11/2009 : 16:53:13
hey! welcome
gingerpony Posted - 20/11/2009 : 12:30:23
heya and welcome
Gaz_1989 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 12:49:54
haha, yeh im heading towards the addiction already.

My name is Gareth, And i am a corn Snake-Aholic! Lol.

I am already planning one of them 3 tier vivarium stacks! haha.

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 18/11/2009 : 11:07:59
Haha, I know... We're such a bad influence!
Kellog Posted - 18/11/2009 : 10:40:53
Just want to echo what Kizzig has said....that is what we are all here for, the friendship as well as the support and advice.

Although I think giving you that link to iansvivarium was really cruel!!! All it does is make you begin listing what corns you want next...which is what has happened.

Kizzig - you put temptation in a newbies path, leading them down towards addiction!! Dont do it again!!!

()

xxx
kizzig Posted - 18/11/2009 : 09:12:34
That's what we're here for! Friendship, help and advice
Gaz_1989 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 08:31:46
Cheers Kizzig.

Seen as this is the intro thread, just wanna say what a great forum this is.

Every question has been answered and ive had some great responses and advice.

Thanks to all

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 17/11/2009 : 19:35:16
We feed in a sandwich box at the moment, but we'll have to upgrade soon! Others use RUB's for feeding, especially the larger snakes.

You can lift the snake back into the viv, but very gently, supporting the snake without touching the bump and he/she should be fine!

Think the gym glove will do the trick!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:34:45
I have thought about putting a gym glove in the faun while hes settling in (i go the gym every day so they are pretty sweaty and smelly, lol).

Also i havent made my mind up how best to feed.

I wanted to feed outside the viv but then some people said about it being an un-familuar place and might put the snake off feeding.
I considered getting a cat litter tray or something similar and use that for feeding in. What do most people do?

If you do feed outside the viv/faun, what would be the procedure for putting him back in the faun? Is it the food lump in the snake that you cant touch?

Thanks alot

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:12:43
Some people also say that putting a used sock or old piece of clothing in the viv helps the snake become accustomed to your smell.

As gmac said, hold off on the feeding until he/she has settled in. Change the water daily and give the substrate a bit of a flatten, this should also allow snakey to get used to your hand being in and out of the viv.

Also, if you feed in a seperate container, the snake is less likely to strike at you when you're in the viv. If fed in the viv, some snakes associate a hand coming in with food! (And feeding in a seperate box also eliminates the chance of snakey ingesting any substrate and becoming impacted.)

Bet you're counting the days!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 13:37:21
Okay thanks alot.
gmac Posted - 17/11/2009 : 13:34:19
you shouldnt feed him during the settling week, only change his water daily,
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 13:24:18
The butters are stunning yeh.

Are Amels one of the more common corns?

Also while im asking more questions, in the first week when i cant handle, if he is due a feed half way through, do you feed or not?

Ta

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 17/11/2009 : 12:55:41
Would love some Butters! Along with one of everything else!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 12:52:26
Thanks, there are some awesome morphs.

I want an Amel, Okeetee, Snow... Lol.

Thanks

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 17/11/2009 : 12:42:05
Yes, Ziggy is an Amel and Kizzy is an Amel Motley. (There are some pics somewhere in the pictures thread with some closeups so you can see their markings.)

Motley is a pattern variation and can come with any morph. All motleys and stripes have a completely white underbelly, while all others have the checkerboard underbelly.

The difference between the Amels and Okeetee is that the amels are albino and have no black pigment and therefore have red eyes. The Okeetees have brighter orange coloroung than normals/carolina's and have the black pigment that amels lack, so their eyes also have the black pigment.

The reverse okeetee has white bands instead of black, and I think the reverse okeetees also lack black pigment like the amels and have red eyes (I think reverse okeetee is Amel based...)

Here is a link to the morph bible (I warn you its dangerous to look as you'll want every single morph!) http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php

The differences are only colour, the temperament etc is individual to each snake.

Kizzig
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 12:13:31
Kizzig - Are Kizzy and Ziggy Amel's?

Also what is the difference between Amel and Okeetee?
And Reverse Okeetee?

Are all the colours just colours? Or are the differences in temperment and size etc?

Thanks

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 17/11/2009 : 12:06:42
Can't wait to see the piccies!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 17/11/2009 : 11:20:47
Cheers Hillzi,

I have no problems upgrading to a decent vivarium whenever hes ready.
Just dont want to rush him, but on the same note dont want him in a faun too small.

Will keep you updated and measure him weekly etc.

Thanks all

Gaz
Kellog Posted - 17/11/2009 : 11:04:18
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

don't listen to kellog

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000