The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello - I'm new here!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/11/2009 : 20:14:19
Just got a 2 year old corn a week ago. He is VERY cranky! Every time I open his viv he is rattling his tail at me and every time I put my hand in, he is striking A LOT! How can I help him stop this. What is the best thing to do. When I do eventually get him out, he's fine. He's quite happy being held but he rattles and strikes EVERY time. Please help
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 08/11/2009 : 13:58:12
hi and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 08/11/2009 : 11:48:42
ah sounds how one of my royals was when i first got him
he will settle down eventually.. put a small piece of clothing (glove or sock ect) with your scent on in the viv with him - he will get used to your scent then without you worrying about stressing him out, make sure he has a good range of places to hide aswell
Kehhlyr Posted - 05/11/2009 : 22:17:26
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.
gingerpony Posted - 05/11/2009 : 22:00:32
heya and welcome

did you leave him undisturbed for at least a week? if not then do so now, then try a feed and let him digest it before trying to handle him...
n/a Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:11:06
Almost forgot.....Are there plenty of hides and foliage for him to hide behind? This will make him more secure.

Photos are always good (of viv set up too). And we like to see what other members' snakes look like!
n/a Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:07:50
Hi & welcome.

I'm Ben. Good advice from Kellog. To add to that, although it won't help when you're water changing or spot cleaning (he will trust you with that in time- worn clothing in viv always a good one), a good tip on handling is to open the door of the enclosure and let him edge out himself rather than diving in for a grab. This will help as all snakes have a degree of "viv defence" and if he is coming out to "your domain" he should be a lot more manageable.

Are his temperatures ok & humidity? The hot end should be around 30*C and the cool end mid-twenties. Also what is his heat source? Im assuming heat mat- are you using a thermostat for this? An aaverage British household humidity is around 50%- this is ideal for corns. If he isn't entirely happy with his environment this can contribute to his grumpiness. What are you feeding him & how often?

These are a couple of things just to go over in your mind and sort if needed. Also things like loud music played in the house will cause a lot of vibration, unsettling snakey. Also (though he will get used to them) if other pets are in the house this can make snakes more defensive.

Hope this helps

Ben
LittleMick Posted - 05/11/2009 : 20:48:14
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. A great place for advice and info. Although I can't offer any, I only got my first Corn on Saturday.

Mick
Kellog Posted - 05/11/2009 : 20:39:37
Welcome to the forum Sarah! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care and advice you have been given but I would advise the following:

1. It sounds as though you have left your corn for the 'hands off' week to get over the stress of moving to your house and letting him settle into his new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding. I am assuming you only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, because that way he has had a chance get used to your smell. The reaction you seem to be getting from him sounds like a viv defense, especially as he is fine once you have him out. Have you spoken to whoever you got him from to find out if this is his usual behaviour? Hopefully it is purely him adapting to his new situation and it is just a case of you being very patient, calm and showing no fear when you pick him up. You can resort to using gloves or a snake hook if you feel worried about getting 'tagged', but it is best to try and continue as you are. You could try putting a piece of your clothing into his viv to reinforce your smell. In time he will learn you are not a threat and will hopefully calm down and stop being so cranky!

2. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners.

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you got as much info when you got your snake....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

5. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

I know it seems hard work at the moment, especially when he is being so defensive....but I will warn you that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000