The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Opps! Hello.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/11/2009 : 19:32:39
Hi.

I think I posted my first post in the wrong place . I just signed up and have had my new carolina corn snake for 5 hours ! I have no idea what sex it is yet and so could do with some cool unisex name suggestions (although to be honest I keep calling it a him - just feel like it's a boy). I've seen some good names just looking on the forums, but feel bad about nicking someone else's snake name, so I was hoping you could help me come up with a name not yet seen on here.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jelly.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/11/2009 : 05:03:46
I knew it wouldnt take long for the addiction to set in....but this is ludicrous!!! I can understand it though....Smooch is gorgeous and I love the name! Dont think I could have just walked away....

Am so glad Fluffy ate without any regurge, that is really good news.

xxx
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 17:55:32

Smooch - my new pastel motley

Fluffy - the original carolina corn that I discovered today is a girl after all.
n/a Posted - 13/11/2009 : 17:24:10
Well - I've just got back from the place I brought my snake from. Apparently it's OK that she ate 3 pinkies as she was on two before, was hungry and gobbled them up, didn't regurgitate them and pooped this morning. They also popped her and she is a girl - but I think Fluffy has stuck now anyway.

I was very naughty and brought another while I was there. They had a beautiful pastel motley - it looks somewhere between a lavender and a ghost. I got this one popped before I decided to buy it and so now I have 2 girls. I had no trouble naming this little lovely and she is called Smooch .

Thanks again for all your help. I'm off to see if I can get these photos up for you to see .
n/a Posted - 11/11/2009 : 14:30:00
The shop I got him from kept a record of what they ate. Fluffy was on 2 pinkies - but he said that he would probably move up to a fluffy quite soon as he seemed to get hungry quicker. I am going back there on Saturday to double check though just in case.
Kellog Posted - 11/11/2009 : 04:12:21
First question would be did you touch the pinkies before you then got him out of his viv? If you did, or they were near enough for him to smell, then he would go into hunting mode and that would give him reason to be snappy.

I am concerned that you fed him an extra pinkie. How many has he had in previous feeds? A corn will keep feeding until it is stuffed, as in the wild it never knows when its next meal may be...so it is up to us to control their feeding. I would suggest you leave him an extra day than the usual 48hrs and keep a close eye on him. Maybe one of the more experienced owners could give some input, because I may be wrong.

As far as putting up photos is concerned look at this link http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. Hopefully it will help you to show us how beautiful he is!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 11/11/2009 : 00:25:41
At the moment i'm calling him Fluffy - but I don't know if it will stick. I liked the name ginger too - because I'm told he will turn orange & redder as he gets older.

Tonight was his first feed - he was VERY snappy when I was trying to get him out of his viv to put in his feeding box! It didn't hurt or draw blood - but quite distressing to see him so angry!

He knocked back two pinkies no problems and was obviously on the hunt for more so I defrosted another one. He has now settled down a treat. Was he snappy because I was trying to pick him up or because he was really hungry? I have picked him up once before - he didn't love it but didn't try to bite or anything.

By the way - I got some photos while he was in his feeding box but I have no idea how to put them on her. I pressed the insert picture botton at the top but it didn't seem to work. Can anyone give me idiot proof instructions?
n/a Posted - 10/11/2009 : 12:35:49
welcome to the forum ive had my carolina for 8 weeks. Mines called creasy like the name ginger or rusty is another one for his colours
Kellog Posted - 10/11/2009 : 03:12:07
So glad your baby is settling in so well. Dont worry about the coiling and tail rattling, it may take a while to settle down cos once it has got happy in its viv then it may become viv defensive and not want you intruding. You could try putting a worn sock in so that your smell is in the viv for it to get more used to your smell. It really is just a case of being patient and calm.

xxx
KITTYCAT Posted - 09/11/2009 : 18:04:40
it will get used to you once you have handled it a couple of times at the moment it just feels threatend once its settled it will be fine. As for a name you will look at the snake one day and a name will just jump out at you,no-one will bother about you using a name u saw on this forum.i named both my snakes my snow is called casper n my carolina herbie (after the car because he used to move so fast)
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 15:58:44
Thank you all so much for the welcome, name suggestions and advice. My baby seems to be settling well and stopped burying himself in the reptile bark after 2 days and is now happily exploring the tank. It doesn't like my hand when it goes in to change its water - coils up and shakes the tail like a rattler which I know is a sign that they are not happy. I hope he gets used to my smell soon as I can't wait to hold it and take some photos.

The addiction has taken hold already and I'm am planning to fill the small tank currently in use with another baby corn snake as soon as this one needs to be upgraded to a bigger tank in about 12 months (I'm sure my boyfriend will go nuts if I buy another much before that).

Thanks again.
HannahB Posted - 08/11/2009 : 12:41:56
hey and welcome
dont feel bad about stealing a name, sure no one will mind
look forwards to the piccies - will get thinking of some names for you!
Kellog Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:12:07
Welcome to the forum MissJelly! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care and advice you were given when you got him/her I would advise the following:

1. You need to leave him for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let him settle into his new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way he gets used to your smell. I know how hard this seems, not being allowed to handle him for a week, but it really is for the best for your snake.

2. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners.

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you got as much info about your snake when you got over him....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!

5. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

6. As far as names are concerned just use any that you like - I think there are at least 3 Kellog's, along with a Crunchy Nut and a Cornflake!!

I know you have only just got him but I will warn you that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx
kizzig Posted - 05/11/2009 : 13:07:45
Hi and welcome!
lee2308 Posted - 04/11/2009 : 22:17:46
hi and welcome to the forum
LittleMick Posted - 04/11/2009 : 22:09:15
Welcome to the forum, you've come to a great place for advice.
I got my Carolina (Elijah) on Saturday, I hope your's settles in as well as mine seems to have.

Unisex names.... ummm, well it seems you have it already..... Jelly, both cool and unsual.
gingerpony Posted - 04/11/2009 : 21:39:00
heya and welcome

pics can wait till he's had a week to settle in
n/a Posted - 04/11/2009 : 19:40:08
Thanks. I can't wait to take some photos - but I thought I should let him settle in first so i'm giving it some peace and quiet. Plus the shop said he had 2 pinkies this morning so i shouldn't really handle him yet. He's quite brown with some yellow patches at the moment as he is still quite small, but will apperently get redder as he gets bigger - which is why I like the name Ginger even though he isn't yet - plus it's very unisex. I also liked the name sirius, but I'm not sure he is a male snake yet. I wish I could tell already!
hillzi Posted - 04/11/2009 : 19:37:13
quote:
Originally posted by Bioshock

Feel free to steal a snake name, i am sure people wouldn't really mind.

Oh, and welcome to the forum... we demand pictures ASAP though. ;)

Hello!

What he said really..
n/a Posted - 04/11/2009 : 19:34:54
Feel free to steal a snake name, i am sure people wouldn't really mind.

Oh, and welcome to the forum... we demand pictures ASAP though. ;)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000