The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/11/2009 : 15:22:16
hi all,i just got a cornsnake,very young,and it keeps biting me when i put my hand in and when i take the snake out. from what iv read they are supposed to be calm creatures,mine certainly isnt!! any suggestions on what to do???? while the bites dont hurt they do startle me and im afraid ill drop her.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 09/11/2009 : 10:27:03
Welcome to the forum Danikia! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care and advice you have been given but I would advise the following:

1. As already mentioned you should leave your snake for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let it settle into its new surroundings by leaving it without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way it gets used to your smell. As Kaz has said you could try and put a sock in so that your snake gets used to your smell. If you didnt leave it for that settling in week I would think it is probably worth doing that now. As Kizzig has said it does sound like viv defence, so it is purely a case of taking your time, being very patient and calm, and when you do handle it keep it to short periods and build it up slowly.

2. You have already been advised to read the care sheet(http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm) which has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you got an much info on your snake when you first got it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!

5. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

You just need to be persistant with your hatchling, it will calm down in time. Just imagine yourself in its position - scarey! I must warn you though that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx
lee2308 Posted - 08/11/2009 : 13:54:44
hi and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 08/11/2009 : 12:53:30
hey and welcome
she might just be a snappy hatchling while shes settling in,
what are your temps like? might be a case of them being a bit wrong so shes grouchy
gingerpony Posted - 04/11/2009 : 21:37:45
heya and welcome

if your set-up isn't right then she won't be happy and this could affect her behaviour.......
Kazerella Posted - 04/11/2009 : 16:30:36
Hello Danika, welcome to the forum.

You could try wearing gloves when you handle her so that if she bits she won't be catching flesh so you are less likely to be startled.

She should calm down in time with regular handling, so it's something to keep trying at.

Try putting a sock in the viv and just continue trying to handle. As soon as she works out you are not a threat you should be ok.
kizzig Posted - 04/11/2009 : 15:37:33
Hi and welcome!

Congratulations on the new snake!

There's an excellent caresheet on this site, which is full of useful information. The link is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

It's important that you should leave your new snake for a week without handling to allow him/her to settle in, as moving to a new home can be very stressful. You should change the water daily and flatten out the substrate during this week. This will also give your snake a chance to get used to your smell and it's new surroundings. Some people also put an old piece of clothing (like a piece of t-shirt) in the viv to help the snake get used to your smell.

If your snake is striking while you're trying to get him/her out (after the week is up), it's possible that he/she may be "viv defensive" - i.e. not sure about leaving his/her "home" (and any large hand in their viv may be classed as an intruder). The best way to get around this is just to let the snake strike and bite until he/she realises that you're not a threat, and that this is not going to scare you off.

You've joined a really friendly forum with a mixture of experienced snake-keepers and those new to the hobby.

Feel free to ask anything - no question is too silly when it comes to pet care!

Welcome again and enjoy the site!
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/11/2009 : 15:34:41
Welcome to the forum Danika. It would be worth heading on over to intros to say hi there.

How long have you had your corn? the general rule is to let new snake settle in for a least a week, with no handling or feeding, just daily water changes.

A good trick is to put a worn bit of your clothing into the viv with your snake so your snake can get used to your smell. A glove is always a good one.
Dont forget that your snake is just afraid, and cant hurt you. If it helps, wear a pair of gloves when you try to pick it up- it may help stop you from being so startled.

When you have safely picked up your snake keep handling short and sweet- 5 to 10 minutes is fine. Allow your snake to move freely over your hands without gripping it too tightly, and hold the snake over the bed or sofa so you arent afraid of dropping her. Do this daily (apart from after a feed of course!) and you will find that your snake will settle down.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000