The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 19:17:06
Hi, I'm Rebecca. I've never had a corn snake before, but when my chinchilla died last month, I no longer had a prey animal to stop me from getting a snake. I've always wanted a snake, but now that I have my own money I could buy one and buy his things and feel like a real adult.

I met a nice little rosy boa in the pet store a week or so ago who spurred me to do a little research, and I decided a corn snake sounded right for me.

My dad's practically as excited as I am, because he just got a new workbench and he's just itching to build things with it, so he's all ready to build me a giant vivarium and NEVER MIND how little the snake is! And my mom was just like "Oh, you," when I said I wanted a snake. She's probably just relieved I didn't fall in love with a rattlesnake or something instead of a little baby corn snake.

My snake hasn't come home yet and won't for a couple of days, but I'm in the process of getting everything ready for him and I figured it's never too early to join a forum. So here I am.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 21:27:43
Welcome to the forum! Your snake is gorgeous!
n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 19:12:25
quote:

so I have to go get a different one because I am an idiot.
I just feel like a moron. :P

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but you still don't get the ultimate prize: when I got my first snake I completely forgot to get thermometers and a thermostat! Luckily, I realized quickly and all ended well. Like yourself, I felt really bad about it, but I now realize it was due to overload of info, I was trying to take in too much too fast and so missed something obvious. At least you missed something not so obvious so I think I still get the razzie on this one.

Congratulations on your new snakey!

n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 18:18:38
Thanks for the condolences about my chinchilla. He started losing weight really fast, had overgrown teeth and the vet filed them down. We thought that was the end of it, but even though he was eating a ton (three times as much as the vet said he needed), he kept losing weight. The vet still doesn't know what happened (he had a weird mass in his mouth, but a biopsy said it was benign), but she assured us we did everything we could.

Anyway, Bill's here! He's completely ignored his hides and settled in at the bottom of the substrate, very cute. The one problem is that I somehow totally missed that the heat mat I bought is not suitable for plastic tanks, so I have to go get a different one because I am an idiot. But the chemical pack they shipped him in is still warming the tank enough for now, and he seems okay. I just feel like a moron. :P
crazy JJ Posted - 20/10/2009 : 13:56:56
heya, welcum 2 the forum....even tho u welcomed me 1st but neva mind lol

cute snakie by the way.....i hope ur new corn will give u loads of happines as myn do but reli soz bout ur chinchilla tho...i used 2 av 2 but 1 died so only 1 left :( but he's like a complete fuz ball haha...n v cheeky..the amount of things he has chewed n broke lol :)

x
n/a Posted - 20/10/2009 : 12:27:27
Hi there Chinchillazilla.

Congratulations on getting your corn snake (seriously cute picture, btw!). You've picked a great site to join here, it's really friendly and there are loads of people who are really experienced with snakes to help you muddle through!

The other nice thing about it here is that there are loads of people like you and I who are new to Corns and we get to share all our ups and downs with people who are experiencing exactly what we are. You're never alone here

Lastly, I'm sorry to read about your chinchilla. They are lovely animals (although the pair I used to look after were seriously grumpy ). I hope your CornSnake brings you much happiness.

Welcome to the site.
n/a Posted - 20/10/2009 : 10:48:19
Hi and Welcome to the forum, am I right in thinking that your from the US (saw another post you put up) and if so which state, I live in the UK perminately kknow but am from Ontario, Canada, Toronto to be exact.
n/a Posted - 20/10/2009 : 09:59:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Oh, why didnt you just say it was a type of mealy bug?!!

So, what's your aunt's name? Cant quite work it out from the word planococcus!! xxx

That's because it's the name of the genus, not the name of that specific insect. Not sure how many of them exist, I just don't want them in any of my trees, lol!

kizzig Posted - 20/10/2009 : 08:41:07
Hi and welcome!
lucifer Posted - 20/10/2009 : 03:22:51
Welcome to the forums Chinchillazilla .
What a lovely Blizzard bet you can't wait for him to come home!
Kellog Posted - 20/10/2009 : 01:56:17
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chinchillazilla

my dad's an entomologist

Fantastic! One of my uncles is too, he discovered a new...whatever they were called, so now my aunt has one whateveritscalled named after her, lol!

You cant just call it a 'whateveritscalled' Hawkeye - need to know the name so we can research it! xxx

Well, Kellog, it's a planococcus.

Oh, why didnt you just say it was a type of mealy bug?!!

So, what's your aunt's name? Cant quite work it out from the word planococcus!! xxx
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 23:18:11
quote:

quote:

quote:

my dad's an entomologist

Fantastic! One of my uncles is too, he discovered a new...whatever they were called, so now my aunt has one whateveritscalled named after her, lol!

You cant just call it a 'whateveritscalled' Hawkeye - need to know the name so we can research it! xxx

Well, Kellog, it's a planococcus.

Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 23:02:08
quote:

quote:

my dad's an entomologist

n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:59:17
quote:

my dad's an entomologist

gingerpony Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:42:59
heya and welcome
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:35:15
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.
Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:41:19
He is gorgeous Chinchillazilla! You must be so excited! xxx
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:36:52
quote:

Am sure your mum will come round to love your new family member and will probably not want you to leave with it!

I'm sure she will too. That's how she was with my rat. At first she was... not really afraid, but not exactly thrilled that I had him. In the end he liked her best and they were good pals.

I can post one picture of him. I didn't take the picture, so it might be cheating, and I'm not sure when it was taken, but here he is:

Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:28:41
Welcome to the forum Chinchillazilla! You have found a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Am so impressed that you are doing the research necessary before getting your snake - too many people just bring their snake home and think 'Oh, what do I do now?'. It is also great that you have the support of your mum and dad. Am sure your mum will come round to love your new family member and will probably not want you to leave with it!
Four important points!
1. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners.
2. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!
3. Make sure you get as much info on your snake when you buy it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. And start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!
4. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

So glad you have joined us and I'm looking forward to you become a corn snake owner! Once you get that first one....you never look back and will want more...and more...and more...

xxx
HannahB Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:23:02
quote:

We've had all kinds of traditionally-disgusting things in our fridge over the years, as my dad's an entomologist and tends to bring things home in jars and keep them there, so mice in the freezer aren't really much of a change for us.

eew ok that just grossed me out lol.. good job i finished my tea already!

aw me and my other half have a blizzard - hes so cute if a little feisty.. you will have to put pics of your lil guy up when hes all settled in
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 19:44:22
Yeah, I've told him that he can build a little one first.

My mom's fine with the mice. She doesn't exactly want to be the one to feed him (and she won't be - he won't actually be living at the house for very long, just a few weeks, I think), but keeping them in the freezer is okay. We've had all kinds of traditionally-disgusting things in our fridge over the years, as my dad's an entomologist and tends to bring things home in jars and keep them there, so mice in the freezer aren't really much of a change for us.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000