The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 15:38:55
hy am new and a prode owner of rocko can you tell me if thay hibernat
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/10/2009 : 18:13:13
Welcome! I absolutely LOVE Rocko!
kizzig Posted - 20/10/2009 : 08:42:59
Hi and welcome! She's so cute!
Kellog Posted - 20/10/2009 : 01:54:32
She is so beautiful, I would love one like her! xxx
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 23:44:53
thanks gp thats more than helpfull and her she is
Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 23:03:54
Thank you GP (I did actually know the answer but thought others might not!) xxx
gingerpony Posted - 19/10/2009 : 23:00:16
so basically to keep youngsters feeding and growing throughout the winter, keep the temps up (especially the ambient temp at the cool end), and increase the number of 'daylight hours' with artificial lighting
gingerpony Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:58:38
true Kellog lol

Brumation is an example of dormancy in reptiles that is similar to hibernation but it differs from hibernation as metabolic processes are involved.

Reptiles generally begin brumation in late autumn (more specific times depend on the species). They will often wake up then return to "sleep". Reptiles may want to eat more than usual before they brumation but will eat less or refuse food as the temperature starts to drop. They do need to drink water whilst brumating. During the first year of life, many small reptiles do not fully brumate but slow down and eat less.
Brumation should not be confused with hibernation, when mammals hibernate they are actually asleep, when reptiles brumate they are less active and their metabolism slows down so they don't need to eat. Brumation is triggered by cold weather/lack of heat, and the decrease in the amount of hours of daylight in the winter (photoperiod).

Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:48:01
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

heya and welcome

snakes don't technically 'hibernate' but they do brumate

You cant use technical language like brumate on a newbie GP....that is just unfair! Explain yourself young lady!!! xxx
gingerpony Posted - 19/10/2009 : 22:40:24
heya and welcome

snakes don't technically 'hibernate' but they do brumate
Kellog Posted - 19/10/2009 : 20:39:36
Welcome to the forum Teekymoore! You have found a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Some important points -

1. If you have only just got him make sure you leave him for a week to settle in, with no handling and no feeding. Just change his water and straighten his substrate so he gets used to your smell.
2. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners.
3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!
4. Not sure what information you got on your snake when you bought it but it is good to start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!
5. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

So glad you and Rocko have joined us. Once you get that first one....you never look back and will want more...and more...and more...

xxx
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 19:03:30

Hi and welcome
HannahB Posted - 19/10/2009 : 17:51:09
hey and welcome
feel free to ask any question,nothing is deemed unimportant or silly here
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 17:34:23
Hello and welcome to you and Rocko
lucifer Posted - 19/10/2009 : 16:27:53
Welcome to the forums

quote:
Originally posted by teekymoore

thank for that ..can you tell me haw to get my pic of rocko up i just cant figer it out thank.......

Check out this thread on how to post pictures:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
n/a Posted - 19/10/2009 : 16:15:26
thank for that ..can you tell me haw to get my pic of rocko up i just cant figer it out thank.......
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/10/2009 : 16:07:16
Hiya and welcome to the forum.
Some snakes do hibernate, but nearly all captive corns in this country do not.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000