The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/10/2009 : 00:16:01
Hello, this is my first post. After a few months of thinking and talking about getting a snake, with my partner and daughter. We looked at how and what we would need. To cut a story short we're now a proud owner of Izzy the Rev Okeetee cornsnake for the last 3 days. I have one question? is there a good site which explains how the different colour and breeds come about?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 18/10/2009 : 07:16:55
heya and welcome

orchid bark is fine to use but you really need to bake it for an hour first to dry it out and get rid of any nasties.....the problem i've found with it is getting a layer thin enough when heating from below ie. a heatmat
kizzig Posted - 17/10/2009 : 17:33:32
Good to hear that she's eating!
n/a Posted - 17/10/2009 : 16:31:19
Just to let everyone know, we removed some of the bark and shes stopped burrowing Also shes finally eaten a pinkie after 2 weeks without food
n/a Posted - 16/10/2009 : 10:55:26
That was the flooring the shop gave me? also the mist has gone now, i think it was where the heta mat had only just been turned on and the bark was cold i think?
Kellog Posted - 15/10/2009 : 20:48:43
Also agree with lynne and kizzig. Would be best to change substrate to aspen to reduce humidity and to allow her to burrow. Ideally she needs somewhere to hide in the cool end and the hot end - any sort of hide, like the toilet roll lynne mentioned. What are the temps in each end? Have you read care sheet yet? Am sure Izzy is ok, they do spend lot of time laying still and is probably moving around at night which you dont know about - but it is best to check that all conditions are right for her. xxx
kizzig Posted - 15/10/2009 : 20:19:01
Hi Medic. Lovely snake you have there! We agree with Lynne about the substrate. We use the same orchid bark for our humidity loving rep's, but not for the snakes. We use aspen bedding for the snakeys as it doesn't retain the moisture as much as the orchid.
Otherwise, looks good!

Hope Izzy is settling in well, bet you can't wait to get her out!
n/a Posted - 15/10/2009 : 18:25:49
hello and welcome, I'm new too but have had snakes most of my life.
As said it is normal behaviour, she'll settle in soon enough, leave her to do this for a week and put a hide in the cool end too so she has a cool place to go aswell. A toilet roll is a very good and cheep hide for a snake her size. Otherwise looks good but the substrait looks a little damp in the pic. Corns don't need or wont to much moisture cuz there prone to respritory infections and to much moisture will cause this. Hope this helps. Again welcome
n/a Posted - 15/10/2009 : 13:00:19
only pic i have of her is this one...
lucifer Posted - 15/10/2009 : 12:56:40
As Kehhlyr said they like to bury themselves in the substrate especially when they are in a new environment.
n/a Posted - 15/10/2009 : 12:56:08
shes only 3 months old, i have n deco just a half log to hide under. iam using a heat mat and the beddins like bark? if that helps
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/10/2009 : 12:50:22
A lot of snakes will do this, especially after a move.
but, just in case:

Roughly How big is she?
How big is the faun/viv?
What substrate (bedding) do you use?
How is is heated?
What decorations/hidey holes do you inside the faun?
n/a Posted - 15/10/2009 : 12:27:44
Thanks for the welcome, iam a bit worried as izzy hasn't moved for a while? shes buried under her wood chippings is this normal?
lucifer Posted - 14/10/2009 : 17:57:57
Welcome to the forums
Remmy Posted - 14/10/2009 : 12:48:17
Hi and welcome to the forum
kizzig Posted - 14/10/2009 : 12:17:03
Hi and welcome!
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/10/2009 : 09:22:57
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.
HannahB Posted - 14/10/2009 : 06:11:55
hey and welcome
feel free to ask any q's..no matter how silly you think they are
Kellog Posted - 14/10/2009 : 03:36:15
Hi and welcome Medic. You have found a great forum with lots of good owners willing to share their advice and support with friendship and fun as bonuses. Just checking but you do know to leave Izzy to settle in for a week with no handling or feeding, just changing her water bowl and straightening her substrate so she can get used to your smell. This gives her a chance to recover from the stress of the move and get used to her new home. Checkout the care sheet on the site.
One unwritten rule is pics as soon as possible! xxx
Stumpy Posted - 14/10/2009 : 03:19:46
Welcome to the madhouse.
lee2308 Posted - 14/10/2009 : 01:59:51
hi and welcome to the forum,any pics of your new arrival?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000