The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi and help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:26:46
Hi everyone.

My name is Nicola, i am the mum of two boys one of which has just been given a 1-2 yr old cornsnake, my husband has just been out and bought the snake and my son all he may need to make sure the snake is well looked after, We are picking it up next Friday, does anyone have any advice for my son and i.

I have a couple of questions:

1. This website recommends feeding the snake outside of it vivarium,, but where who i feed it.

2. How often do i have to clean the vivarium out, i have read 3-5 days and monthly. could someone help me there.

3. This is a strange question and will get laughs, does the heat pad go in the tank or under the tank, what i the snake wees or spills its water ( heavy bowl already bought), and eletrocutes itself.

4. How do i pick it up without having a cornsnake attached to my finger thinking im pray/food, i have seen the hooks are they a recommended buy.

Any suggestions or tips for us would be really helpful, forgot to mention that my son is nearly 9 and have i made the right pet choice.

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:43:13
heya and welcome
n/a Posted - 15/09/2009 : 15:15:56
Hi Nicolam,

Welcome to the forums................lol I feel like an intruder saying that as I'm new to them myself. Every1 on here has been very helpful and friendly so far, fantastic forum :o)
lucifer Posted - 15/09/2009 : 13:08:59
Welcome to the forums
Remmy Posted - 14/09/2009 : 20:21:30
Hi and welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 16:47:22
Hi and welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see some pics :)
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 09:43:30
Thanks for all your welcomes, it is great that there is a place where lots advice is handed out and offers of help/advice are always welcome, i feel that this is an important pet for my son to have as look after properly. i am so excited about getting he/she???, but understand that you must give it time to adjust to is new home, and noises. I will get pictures asap. Thanks again.
Kellog Posted - 14/09/2009 : 02:55:59
Hi nicolam Welcome to a fantastic forum. If you have browsed a bit you will see that it is a friendly place with lots of experienced owners willing to share their advice and support. The friendship and the fun is a bonus! I am very glad your OH didnt just come home with the snake!! At least he has given you a week to do some research! Your hardest job will be keeping your son's frustration under control during the 'hands off' week! When you do get Rossi out only do it for very short periods, 5 minutes maximum to begin with, which will mean a lot of self-control on your and your son's part!! You have probably checked out the 'care sheet', but if not it gives some really good advice. Think there is even a topic on 'Owning my first corn' or something along those lines - someone will be sure to point you in the right direction to find it! This is a really great place to come - they have kept me sane in the 5 months since I got Kellog. Better mention an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!! One warning, owning corn snakes is addictive....you wont be able to stop at one!!! xxx
HannahB Posted - 13/09/2009 : 22:15:30
snakes are generally really easy to look after provided the research is done and their temps in the viv are correct i wish i had gotten mine a lot sooner!
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 21:15:04
Thanks for all the info and help so far, i am really looking forward to getting 'Rossi' the snake, unsure what it looks like as it is a spur of the momment pet for our son, he has nagged us for about 3yrs, but finally think that he is old enough and responsible enough to look after a pet, other than the dogs. as Arnie says 'i'll be back. Thank you
lee2308 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 20:12:15
hi and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:25:57
ooooooh your from long eaton.. not far from me!
hope he settles in ok
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:19:33
Thanks Hannah.

You have put my mind a ease, i understand that the snake should be left alone for a week to get used to his/her new home, water changed daily. We are excited about the new family member and willbe a regular visitor to this forum.Thanks for the advice and it is most wanted and needed.

Nicola
Long Eaton Nottingham
HannahB Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:55:49
hey and welcome

1. This website recommends feeding the snake outside of it vivarium,, but where who i feed it. you can put them in a small RUB (really useful box) or put some kitchen towel down over the substrate so they dont ingest any... the main reason for feeding out of the box is so that no bedding or substrate is ingested as this can potentially hurt or kill little snakey

2. How often do i have to clean the vivarium out, i have read 3-5 days and monthly. could someone help me there. spot clean the viv for poop every day but do a full clean every month - i do mine when they have shed and disinfect everything and make sure its totally clean again

3. This is a strange question and will get laughs, does the heat pad go in the tank or under the tank, what i the snake wees or spills its water ( heavy bowl already bought), and eletrocutes itself. I have mine under the fauns but depends on what type of viv you have - if its a plastic faun they are ok under but if its wooden they go inside.. dont worry snake cant electrocute themselves as the heat mat will be in the hot end and the water in the cool end - the heatmat only has to cover up to half the viv..

4. How do i pick it up without having a cornsnake attached to my finger thinking im pray/food, i have seen the hooks are they a recommended buy. hooks are only really used for massive snakes and for venemous snakes.. corns arent really either - as long as you dont have scent of mouse on your fingers and you dont really scare your snake you should be fine just picking him up gently with your fingers

hope all this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000