The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello, I'm a newbie with questions :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 18:23:50
Hello!
I’m picking up our first ever corn snake next Wednesday and I was hoping for a bit of advice.
He (or she!) is about 2 ½ months old and will be arriving in the Chinese take-away tub that the breeder’s been keeping him in (fully equipped with a loo roll tube, a peanut butter jar lid of water and a layer of kitchen roll!) – FYI the take-away tub has never been used . Snake has been feeding really well and has shed twice so far.

My questions are these: 1; When I get him home I have a faunarium all ready for him, will it be ok to transfer him right away? 2; How long should I leave it before handling him? And 3; He will be due a feed on that Wednesday, should I offer it to him or leave him a day or two to settle?

The ‘breeder’ is a friend of ours who never intended to breed. One of her two corns was wrongly sexed by the reptile centre they came from and, voila, baby snakes. She’s been really helpful but she’s never had baby snakes (hers were about 18 months when she got them). I’ve been doing a bit of research myself but I thought I’d ask some snake ‘veterans’ (if you’ll forgive the moniker) to make sure I got it right. I’d hate to think I was doing wrong and upsetting the snake.

By the by, he’s going to be called Cinco. Eldest daughter is learning Spanish and as he was hatchling Number 5.....it’s not genius but she is only 11!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 05/09/2009 : 12:33:05
Welcome to snakehood!
n/a Posted - 05/09/2009 : 11:18:21
Thanks! I should have clarified though, I wasn't going to put in both bowls. I got two because I know they like to bathe and I wasn't sure which size would be best. I thought if I got one for now and one for later (when he gets bigger) I'd be ahead of the game. (That's assuming I put bowl #2 in a safe place and actually remember where that safe place is!).

Just to say in reply to a question of Kellogs - Im using Aspen as substrate. I hadn't actually purchased any til I read the topic on here and it seemes to come out on top.
Kellog Posted - 05/09/2009 : 11:08:14
Firstly, you dont need 2 water bowls as the added water will increase the humidity in the fauna and can led to respiratory problems. If there is space you could add a branch for him to climb - if you dont buy if but get one from the garden clean it and then bake it in oven at about 160oc for about an hour to kill all parasites and eggs.
I think it is ok to carry him carefully between a rub and his fauna after he has eaten, as long as that is the only handling you do. I am sure that the 'veterans' will correct me if I am wrong as I am still a newbie! xxx
n/a Posted - 05/09/2009 : 08:40:53
Thanks all for your welcomes and seriously useful advice.

I have an 18 inch plastic faunarium, a heat mat, two bowls, one shop-bought hide and a plant pot (unused and not too big). I don’t have a digital thermometer though; looks like I’m off to the reptile shop again!

I had intended to feed him in the faunarium as he’s being fed in his take-away tub at present but it sounds like I need a box (rub?) for that. If I’m not supposed to handle him after he’s eaten how do I get him back in his faunarium after he’s ingested the mouse? My OH suggested a catapulting contraption to avoid contact (but I’m 99% sure he was joking!). Answers on a postcard please.......

Thanks again for the help!
KITTYCAT Posted - 05/09/2009 : 00:58:26
Hi there n welcome
HannahB Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:02:16
hey and welcome
we have to see pics when hes all settled in!
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 20:54:04
hiyas ...awesome name ...as above the guys and girls here are awesome ....no question to silly ...hope u enjoy
Kellog Posted - 04/09/2009 : 20:17:08
Thanks for putting up link GP, you posted just as I was typing! xxx
Kellog Posted - 04/09/2009 : 20:14:50
Lee has answered your questions very well. To enlarge a bit - yes, move him over as soon as you get him but make sure the faunarium has been up and running for a few days to make sure temp is ok. Am sure you have already provided a hide at each end of fuana (hot and cold end), water bowl - what substrate are you using? There is a great topic on getting your 1st corn on here somewhere (and one of these days I will work out how to add it to my comment as a link!) but that should give you all the info you need to make sure everything is ready for the arrival of Cinco. Once you have put him in then leave him for a week without handling or feeding. Just put your hand in each day to change water and smooth out substrate so he gets used to your smell and his new surroundings. After a week you can begin to handle him but only for a few minutes at a time, building it up as he grows - I only handle my adult for 30/45 minutes maximum and it takes a lot of self control on my part to then put him back in the viv, especially when he doesnt want to go! When you do feed him then you must not handle him for 48hrs afterwards to give him time to digest. There are different views as to whether to feed him in his fuana or in a rub - it is probably best to do it outside cos then there is no risk of him injesting any of the substrate while he eats. But I am sure that 'those who know' (like the expression 'veterans', might start using that instead) will give you the best advice as I am really only a newbie!
Finally, welcome to the forum - should have probably said that first. You have found a great place to ask questions and get great advice from experienced snake owners. Not only do you get answers to what you may think is the silliest question, but you get great support - they kept me sane when I was panicing about my corn going on a 13 week fast! Friendship and fun are just bonuses!!! Pics as soon as poss of Cinco is an unwritten forum rule!! Lol! xxx
gingerpony Posted - 04/09/2009 : 20:07:11
heya and welcome

it depends how big your faun is.........

and have a read of this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133
lee2308 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 18:33:44
hi and welcome to the forum,transfer him straight over,have the set up running for a couple of days before to stablise the temps,i would leave him for 7 days then give it a feed,any problems just get back to us.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000