The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi all and viv size question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 26/08/2009 : 08:58:41
Hi, I'm Sam and I've been reading lots of the forum posts for a few weeks now. My daughter has a Rankin's Dragon called Keydo who we all absolutely adore and since having him I've really fallen in love with reptiles. Our local rep shop is AMAZING and let us stay there all day handling all their animals and answering all our questions without us even buying anything! In all that time it's the snakes that have really got me - their feel and the strength in their bodies as they move around you..... take a moment, ok, I've calmed down now.

Anyway, upshot is my husband says I can have a cornsnake for my birthday in October (yay) so I'm getting all the info. I've seen a great pre-owned setup which includes a 2ft wooden viv. I know this is too big for a hatchling but I was wondering if I could keep my baby in his/her RUB that they'll come from the rep shop in, cut a hole in the top and put the whole thing into the viv until they feel comfortable exploring the wider viv world? If that is OK, would I put it in the warm or cool end?

Also, does the heat mat stay on all day and night or do snakes require a drop in temperature at some point like Keydo does?

Cheers all. Please be gentle with me if I ask any stupid questions during my time on this forum, Sam.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/09/2009 : 19:01:47
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

Hi Kellog, thanks for your reply. I see from another topic that you're a committed Christian - me too!! I've just come back from a mini Bible 'week' (3,000 people from NewFrontiers churches in the Midlands, camping over the bank holiday). It was absolutely awesome and my nearly 9-year-old daughter gave her life to the Lord there - she is now ON FIRE!!

Sorry guys if this is a little off-topic - I won't make a habit of it. It may not be cornsnakes but it IS introductions.

That is so fantastic to hear! My 16 year old daughter has worked with kids often at New Wine (not sure you have heard of it) and my 12 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, is such a prayer warrior - sometimes you pray with him and the words he uses just arent his own! I am chronically ill and dont know how I would have coped without Gods strength, and my husband is starting a course at the end of the month to become ordained - he already preaches and leads in our church and is on Leadership team, PCC, is Church warden etc.
I dont know how you can look at something like a cornsnake and the way it moves and sheds and feeds and all the different morphs without believing in a Creator!
(Sorry guys, Christian bonding over!) xxx
n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 17:40:35
Welcome to the site Sam. Im new ish to and the people on here offer great advice, they have helped me with questions and answers.

Regards Chris
Sammysnake Posted - 01/09/2009 : 17:16:40
Hi Kellog, thanks for your reply. I see from another topic that you're a committed Christian - me too!! I've just come back from a mini Bible 'week' (3,000 people from NewFrontiers churches in the Midlands, camping over the bank holiday). It was absolutely awesome and my nearly 9-year-old daughter gave her life to the Lord there - she is now ON FIRE!!

Sorry guys if this is a little off-topic - I won't make a habit of it. It may not be cornsnakes but it IS introductions.
HannahB Posted - 28/08/2009 : 21:03:28
hey and welcome
sounds like you have a fab rep shop near you!
where do you live - i want to go!!
bet you cant wait for your birthday!!
Kellog Posted - 28/08/2009 : 03:34:14
Hi sammysnake. Wont give any advice as it looks as though you've been given it already! As you've seen the forum is the best place to be - for advice, reassurance, friendship and fun!! Looking forward to your birthday and we will want pics as soon as poss! Make sure you have faun up and running before you bring snake home, then leave it in for a week without handling and feeding so it has time to settle in. Just put your hand in to change water, smooth substrate etc daily so it gets used to your smell - sorry, premature advice that you probably already know! xxx
Sammysnake Posted - 27/08/2009 : 21:07:15
Hi Meggi and welcome to the forum you too - don't know if I'm allowed to welcome you when I've only been on here for 5 seconds myself but I have now so there you go. I go to Double JJ Aquatics in Banbury. The guys there absolutely love their reptiles, so much so that they keep taking the new stock home to keep as their own pets instead of selling them!

My daughter is 8 and she NEVER stops asking questions about reps but they never tire of answering her and letting us handle anything we like. They'll just go off and serve another customer leaving us to cuddle whoever we have at the time. Last week I spent half an hour with the most gorgeous boa called Errol wrapped around my waist!!
meggi Posted - 27/08/2009 : 16:26:39
hi sam hows things?? Very sorry havent got any answers , but ... what pet shop do you got to ?? sounds wicked , please reply tarxxxx
Sammysnake Posted - 27/08/2009 : 06:48:18
Cheers guys for the really quick and full repsonses and for all the friendly welcomes. I think I'm gonna like it here.
gingerpony Posted - 26/08/2009 : 19:06:58
quote:

Can the box/faunarium go straight onto the heatmat?

yes
quote:

I presume only 1/3 to a half of the box so there is still a cooler end?

and yes
Remmy Posted - 26/08/2009 : 17:52:03
Hi Sam and welcome to the forum
muffin Posted - 26/08/2009 : 14:56:43
Hi sam and welcome to the forum :)
Brookestar Posted - 26/08/2009 : 13:47:21
hi and welcome to the forum :)
lee2308 Posted - 26/08/2009 : 13:38:35
hi and welcome,fuans can go directly ontop of the mat,no need to ut paper between them but you might have to put a iece of card under the mat to lift it so its in contact with the bottom of the fuan,welldone for getting all the knowlage first before buying,thats what we like to see
KITTYCAT Posted - 26/08/2009 : 11:48:04
hi there n welcome to the forum.you will get lots of sound advice here.im no expert on faunariums as my 2 snakes just went into the viv as the pet shop guy said it would be ok (personally i think he gave me alot of wrong advice). 1/3 to 1/2 should be fine though make sure there is a hide in the warm end and the cool end ie.toilet roll tube etc. you will need a thermostate for your heat mat so that it doesnt become to warm. good luck
Sammysnake Posted - 26/08/2009 : 11:00:13
Thanks Gingerpony for the quick response. I've just re-read the care sheet again, it takes a while for all the info to sink in! Still not sure about how to heat a faunarium though and it would definitely need heating as my house is very cold. I've found lots of references on the web to keeping hatchlings in plastic boxes but no info on how to heat that. Can the box/faunarium go straight onto the heatmat if I put a couple of sheets of newspaper on the mat first? I presume only 1/3 to a half of the box so there is still a cooler end?
gingerpony Posted - 26/08/2009 : 09:27:19
heya and welcome, have you read the care sheet? covers heating and everything...............

a hatchie would do better in a faunarium, without a hole in the lid to explore a big viv.....

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000