The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 New owner needs advice [:)]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/08/2009 : 23:33:42
Hello,

A few hours ago we brought home our first corn snake. Very excited!

Perhaps you could help us with the following questions:

1. It's a hatchling. Shop said snake was due for a feed. We tried, but snake refused the meal. Should we try again after 24 hours or is it best to leave for longer and if so how long?

2. How can we tell what mood our snake is in?

3. Is it best to let snake get used to new surroundings first, or can we take it out of vivarium and handle it so it gets used to us?

We've read the "how to" section on how to care for our new family member -- many thanks for that! Still, we feel very green and need to learn fast..

Thanks,

Hawkeye & Snake

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meggi Posted - 27/08/2009 : 20:19:15
hi , hope the corn setling in well , hope his kk .

here are the answers to my knowladge

1. Leave snake for 1 more week. But did you try covering the tank with newspaper , and leaving the mouse and him alone?

2. NO IDEA!! but when there feeding they do look like there smiling!!LOL

3.I`d leave him/her alone for 24-48 hrs , just to settle in , bearing in mind that the snake has no ida where he/she is , and who you are .

hope things go well megx

P.S TELL YOUR KIDS THAT MY BRO WAS LOOKING FOR ICE LOLLIES AND IN LOOKED IN THE MOUSE-BOX AND GOT A VERY NASTY SHOCK!!! (YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HIS FACE LOL)
n/a Posted - 22/08/2009 : 12:33:30
Many thanks for all the welcoming replies and for making us feel right at home here
Kellog Posted - 22/08/2009 : 06:58:12
Hi and welcome Hawkeye. This forum gives great advice, great friendship and lots of banter - which I can already see you will fit in with perfectly! This is the type of place you can ask what you may think is the silliest question and it will be taken seriously. So aks away......... xxx
gingerpony Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:56:03
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Hi gingerpony,

Thanks! Have now read that post and a few others so starting to feel a bit more confident. Snake spent a lot of time last night exploring, pleasure to watch from a distance.

Hawkeye & Snake

cool, that's what we're here for
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 16:15:18
hey and welcome
look forwards to seeing pics when hes settled in
lee2308 Posted - 20/08/2009 : 14:52:40
hi and welcome to the forum
Brookestar Posted - 20/08/2009 : 13:33:26
hi and welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 12:19:35
Hi gingerpony,

Thanks! Have now read that post and a few others so starting to feel a bit more confident. Snake spent a lot of time last night exploring, pleasure to watch from a distance.

Hawkeye & Snake
Tizzy Posted - 20/08/2009 : 10:31:34
quote:

To Tizzy: No white tigers at this end, only a whitish cornsnake who's very active at the moment exploring his new surroundings.

LOL right name right kind of age, differant person! But it was worth an ask.
gingerpony Posted - 20/08/2009 : 09:41:43
heya and welcome
quote:

We've read the "how to" section on how to care for our new family member -- many thanks for that! Still, we feel very green and need to learn fast..

have you read this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133 it pretty much covers it.........
Taz Devil Posted - 20/08/2009 : 09:18:12
Hello and welcome to the forums.

I have a rechargable torch on top of Sids viv. Comes in handy for those dark nights when you know there's movement but cannot see any snake. unfortunately for me Sid is not a daytime snake, she spends most of her time hiding in one of her hides. So night time is the best time for me to see her out and about and at feeding time.
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 03:02:39
To Tizzy: No white tigers at this end, only a whitish cornsnake who's very active at the moment exploring his new surroundings. I've just spent about 20 mins sitting quietly not too far for the viv, just observing him moving in the dark. Amazing beauty and grace!
muffin Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:50:54
Hi m8 and welcome to the forum.
Tizzy Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:45:02
Welcome to the forum Hawkeye - are you by any chance Hawkeye of the White Tigers MCC?
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:19:25

Still laughing. Thanks for the warm welcome.
sexychef Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:13:19
but a pinky pop sounds so nice.
if you have any other questions you will find the answer on here somewhere
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:11:41
Excellent, LOL! I've already told the kids not to get the pinkies confused with the ice lollies when they're hunting for something sweet in the freezer

Many thanks for all the replies and for reassuring us.

hillzi Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:08:09
It's better off to offer food at night (theyr'e hunting at this time and its more natural)

it's best to settle him in for a week then feed him a nice pinkie every 5 days
sexychef Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:06:45
a hatchling i would feed every 5 days. no he wont starve they can go a long time without food.
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:03:06
WOW! That was fast -- FOUR responses already -- thanks!! Just to clarify something:

The "how to" section says he should be fed every 5-6 days, shop said they feed twice a week, and everyone here says leave for a week. Will he not starve by then?

He's so beautiful... will try to get pix soon, we just don't want to bother him unnecessarily (but very keen to get to know him!

Oh one more thing: is it better to offer food at night?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000