The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hey.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/08/2009 : 19:31:12
Hey im Michelle and im geting my first corn next week.
Been lurking bout the forum for a bit and decided to join up and get as munch info as poss. Particularly bout viv size and heating . . . dont want to balls it up
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 22/08/2009 : 15:49:05
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Hi again. You must be so pleased to have your corn home. Am sure you have already read advice on leaving him alone for a week, only putting hand in to change water and fiddle with substrate etc, then handling him for very short periods a couple of times a week, but not handling him for 48hrs after he has eaten. Sorry if I am repeating what you already know....but best to have it repeated than not know it! Look forward to seeing pics of him/her. xxx

Yea im leaving him be until i have to feed him which works out as he was fed the day i got him havn't touched him since i moved him into new home and he made it pretty clear then that i was not welcome only changing water now.

I'll get pics up of him once he is settled he is gorgeous but then i am a little bit biased ( still dont have a name every time i think i've got one another idea pops up )
Kellog Posted - 22/08/2009 : 07:14:19
Hi again. You must be so pleased to have your corn home. Am sure you have already read advice on leaving him alone for a week, only putting hand in to change water and fiddle with substrate etc, then handling him for very short periods a couple of times a week, but not handling him for 48hrs after he has eaten. Sorry if I am repeating what you already know....but best to have it repeated than not know it! Look forward to seeing pics of him/her. xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 18/08/2009 : 12:48:56
belated hiya, and welcome.
n/a Posted - 17/08/2009 : 21:43:18
Thanx.
Called the guy and he is gicing me the container it has been staying in home with me :)
Kellog Posted - 17/08/2009 : 21:13:33
should be fine as long as there are air holes, it closes securely and you put down kitchen roll or substrate in it. If on bus may be worthwhile having a bag to cover it, it the RUB is see-through you could cause a commotion - good or bad! xxx
n/a Posted - 17/08/2009 : 17:09:10
Will be going by bus i think. will only take about 20 mins i have tupperware boxs would they do if i put air holes in the lid ?
n/a Posted - 17/08/2009 : 17:03:48
How far are you going? Car/bus/train? Have you got a secure RUB (really useful box) with paper towel/substrate in it?
n/a Posted - 17/08/2009 : 15:30:04
Hey just a quick question . . . prolly a silly question but here goes anyways.
I'm going to pick up on friday. what should i be taking with to transport her home ? any ideas would be extremly helpful.
Thanx
Flatpack63 Posted - 17/08/2009 : 14:31:12
Hiya and welcome to the friendliest forum on the web.
n/a Posted - 16/08/2009 : 23:10:54
Hiya, welcome to the forum. Enjoy
gingerpony Posted - 16/08/2009 : 20:39:42
heya and welcome

quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

dont use sawdust as the snake can inhale it.

the main problem with sawdust is that it's pine, which emits toxins harmful to snakes, which can affect their skin/cales and respiratory system............... to people it's the 'pleasant smell'!
n/a Posted - 16/08/2009 : 12:47:36
Hi shell and welcome:)
hillzi Posted - 16/08/2009 : 11:34:42
quote:

dont use sawdust as the snake can inhale it.

Yup, the fumes can be bad, don't use pine or cedar either. Just aspen or newspaper, hemp, newspaper. stick with stuff you know is safe

and don't hesitate to ask ANYTHING

edit:/ spelling of the wear anything.
KITTYCAT Posted - 16/08/2009 : 10:44:09
Hi again, You will need a thermostat to wire ur heat mat too , so it switches off at a certain temp also a thememeter so you can see the temp in the viv. I use aspen in my viv as substrate though some simply use newspaperjust dont use sawdust as the snake can inhale it. i order all my stuff from 888reptiles n get it delivered its fast and alot cheaper than the pet shops.
n/a Posted - 15/08/2009 : 19:17:54
quote:

Hi n welcome. You'll get lots of help n info here. since your not gettin your corn till next week it would be a good idea to get everthing you need n get you viv set up n running so its ready for your corn. my viv is about 2ft by 1 f you dont need a huge one as corns dont like too big a space so ive heard. heat mat with thermostat , substrate, water bowl, thermostat sticky ones are good as my corn kept knocking the other ones off n somewhere to hide should be enough to get you sarted it be a good idea to get in some frozen pinkies too take it is a baby youre gettin. goodluck mind n post a pic.

Thanks. got the viv well for the first bit anyways i'll upgrade to a bigger one as he/she grows ended up goin for this one http://www.thepet-shoponline.co.uk/exo-terra-terrarium--vivarium-30x30x45cm-288-p.asp thats should do right ? then when i have to get a new bigger one i'll be able to use this one for another baby. Got the pinkies already and the hides and heat mat although thats one thing i got one big enough to cover 'bout one third of the tank as thats what i read on here . . . it seems to be one of the things i never got a consistant answer for along the way. Mine doesnt have a thermostat so guess i'll be out again to get one that does And i know im being a pain but . . . the substrate is there a particular kind that is best to use ?

And thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome
Brookestar Posted - 15/08/2009 : 17:42:04
hi and welcome to the forum.
KITTYCAT Posted - 15/08/2009 : 17:31:01
Hi n welcome. You'll get lots of help n info here. since your not gettin your corn till next week it would be a good idea to get everthing you need n get you viv set up n running so its ready for your corn. my viv is about 2ft by 1 f you dont need a huge one as corns dont like too big a space so ive heard. heat mat with thermostat , substrate, water bowl, thermostat sticky ones are good as my corn kept knocking the other ones off n somewhere to hide should be enough to get you sarted it be a good idea to get in some frozen pinkies too take it is a baby youre gettin. goodluck mind n post a pic.
Remmy Posted - 14/08/2009 : 21:38:21
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum
hillzi Posted - 14/08/2009 : 21:26:02
Hey
Kellog Posted - 14/08/2009 : 20:53:30
Welcome to the forum x.shell.x. It is a great place to be, you make friends and can ask the silliest question without feeling stupid! You also know you will get excellant support and advice. Soon we will be indespensible to you!!!! xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000