The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Question about my snake if anyone can help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 13:20:51
Hi, I have a 4-5 month old corn snake.. When I got him no problems with eating and shedding his skin.. The pinky was large and he has not fed or shed again.. What concerns me is that his left eye is cloudy and the other one is fine.. His lens caps came off fine, I live in a condo in Thailand so has lots of heat.. I was thinking he started to shed did not and one eye is covered?? I am really worried.. Tried bathing underwater and trying to remove anything on the eye.. Please can anyone help??
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bjg Posted - 18/06/2012 : 01:50:38
To be clear to any help, anyone who can and his eye problem was before any techniques were used.. Before anyone panics... He is perfect, just cloudy?? He's very happy and healthy...
Bjg Posted - 18/06/2012 : 01:29:30
Ok good to know about the shed.. Will get a temperature for him. What temp is best? I thought with living in Thailand I would not need, as it's perfect heat as well as cool enough when he needs it to be? Would this eye issue put him off his food??
Bjg Posted - 18/06/2012 : 01:25:44
To use a non sticky tape to try to remove the eye cap, my friend who has owned snakes for years does this to help remove a eye cap, I know it sounds strange, but also researched it and is common.. He does seem happy and comfortable, just don't know why his eye is cloudy ? Yet the other one is fine??
kdlang Posted - 17/06/2012 : 22:21:32
Hi and welcome. I wouldn't worry about him not shedding again yet as it's only been 4 weeks since his last one. Generally they shed every 6 weeks but this can vary depending on how fast they are growing and if they have any injuries. You really do need to get a digital thermometer into your viv to find out what the temperatures are as if it is too warm then he will be very uncomfortable.
What is concerning me a little is that you say you have rubbed his eye and also said something about using sticky tape. Can you explain a little more about this please?
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 17:43:00
He does not stay in the sun long maybe half an hour to warm him up, and change of view which he likes, as Thailand is so hot then I thought a different heat would be better.. He is gold as gold, just worried about the eye.. His skin feels loose, he seems happy enough.. The other eye is perfect...
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 17:38:47
Thankyou here is the eye problem
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 17:36:36
[url][/url]
smart bunny Posted - 17/06/2012 : 17:24:49
Not being an expert the only thing I can suggest is taking him to a vet as if the eye caps definitely came off in the last shed and now 1 eye is cloudy it sounds like he may have damaged it/got an infection?

It also sounds like things may be too hot for him if the viv is in the sun part of the day as that will warm it up significantly and is not advised but I'm not sure - you really need to get a digital thermometer or 2 so you can accurately measure the temps in there before we can really comment on that bit.

Hope your snake is OK :)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 17/06/2012 : 17:07:16
Welcome to the forum
Donnie Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:49:40
Hello, this link will help you with uploading your pics. There is a photobucket app for the iPhone which will be the easiest

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14057
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:21:01
Thankyou me too.. Just wish, Someone could say.. Any ideas how to upload photos to the forum, sorry not used to this site yet...
scottishbluebird Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:07:49
i am sure if he sheds it wont make it worse, but you need to wait till someone on here really knows their stuff, they will help you a lot more, i do hope it is nothing serious
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 15:53:18
Tried but can't upload from iPhone a picture.. It's just cloudy.. Worried if he sheds it will make it worse and cause a infection??
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 15:43:24
Hello, Thankyou.. I don't know if it's a eye cap or not as nothing seems flaky... I have tried the different ways and a bit did come off, then went cloudy again.. I brought him from a pet shop in Thailand, I don't have a heating ma, but the snake man said it would be ok, and everyday half his viv is in the sun for a few
Hours of the day to warm as very hot here.., but my condo is always warm and don't use the aircon where he is.. He has a nice viv and good hides.. It started about two weeks ago... He was fed on the 9th may and not since, but I think the pinky has kept him full.. He shed on the 18th of may and nothing since.. He's very active and been drinking a lot of water.. Tried rubbing the eye, also sticky tape nin sticky to see if that helps.. I think as he has a problem it is putting him off food and shedding???
He lives being handled daily or twice aday, is that wrong as he dies not mind of try to get away?? Any help would be grateful...his skin is bright and not lost weight in fact I think he has got bigger.. He is a candy corn snake...
oakleyman18 Posted - 17/06/2012 : 15:19:42
Hello BJG,

Firstly welcome to the forum. How long ago did this start to happen? If you have any pictures it'd be clearer to see what the problem is. Don't panic, a lot of the time, these problems can resolve themselves. If you're certain it is an eye cap, then there are certain techniques you can use to remove them. You mentioned it's warm, what are the warm end and cold end temperatures in the Viv?
Bjg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 15:03:16
???? I don't get it
marc_sg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 14:40:43
Think this is one for the experts

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000