The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hey! Newbie Here, with a couple of queries.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bam Posted - 13/06/2012 : 17:56:16
Hey guys, just thought id say hello, got my first Snake on Monday. I've always wanted a snake, but never had one before.

I popped along to my local pet shop, who were really helpful, gave me lots of advice, and a good starter setup with everything included.

I purchased a normal morph hatchling, he's only about a foot long, but i'm not sure of his age?

I was also advised to line the tank with kitchen towel, which i have, and then put the wooden chippings on top which were also supplied by the pet shop.

The snake has had its first feed, and seemed to eat well, the pet store said it was due a feed yesterday so i feed him a pinky as advised by the store.

Since the feed, the snake tends to be hiding away, i assume this is due to his new environment. He has two hides in the viv, one in the hot end, and one in the cool side. however he seems to have taken to hiding underneath the kitchen towel put down as substrate under the wood chippings.

Is this normal behavior for a Corn?

Any further advise would be appreciated as this is completely new to me, and id like to make sure the snake is happy, and stress free.

Thanks in advance.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coyote Posted - 18/06/2012 : 19:06:13
your boy is lovely i have not long ago purchased a female normal(carolina)and shes lovely fussy eater though but lovely. shes real placid got to say i loke snakes and vampires so i just got my female vampire name from a quiz and thats what i called her as she has fangs kind of!!
Bam Posted - 17/06/2012 : 19:21:27
Thanks for all the advice guys! The snake seems to have settled in now, he's exploring much more of his little Terrarium, I have handled him today, and he seems fine, was a little jumpy at first, but soon seemed much happier. Also since i have popped the plastic plant in with him he seems to be spending a fair bit of time on and around that exploring, as well as using it as a hide.

Finding the aspen bedding is much easier to spot clean too, and seems to be much better at transferring heat.
Still unnamed, we're waiting to have him sexed before giving him a name :-)
coxymk2 Posted - 15/06/2012 : 16:02:24
Have got one boy just a year old and he has been in a 3ft viv for 6mths no problems he is a big lad. My other boy is 14mth old and i am just about to move him up to a viv he is smaller and thinner so age doesnt really come in to it. Its a case of playing it by individual snake size.
Dalymad2 Posted - 15/06/2012 : 15:25:08
Hi and welcome, My two one year olds are completley different one spends most of his time hidden away, the other is very active and always looking out. I kept them in a 1ft x 1ft viv for 6 months then moved to 2ft x 2ft and they have just moved into luxury 4ftx2ft vivs.
my eight week old is now in a 1ft x 1ft viv still hiding most of the time, each snake is different but enjoyable in different ways.
All the best with your new snake.

Blackcat Posted - 15/06/2012 : 11:24:44
Hello and welcome.
TOM_BEASTY Posted - 14/06/2012 : 17:55:18
Hello and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new snake and make sure you have a look at the forum as it has pretty much everything you could want (personal experience showing :) )
Bam Posted - 14/06/2012 : 17:45:57
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Corno was about 6 months when we moved her up to a 3ft viv from her faun as she was too large for it. It was probably a bit of a jump but I didn't really want to go up in stages so just filled it full of hides and foliage. She's only really started being braver in it the last month or so (but was fine feeding etc otherwise I'd have downsized). Ember on the other hand is just over 6 months and no way is she going in a viv yet! She's a bit long for the faun now, but is a right thin little thing so I think I'll get her an in-between home soon :)

If you are ordering from swell check out their soft chip bedding, it's what I use and is cheaper than aspen :)

Thanks, will have a look, i have ordered some Aspen already from there, but ill try different ones out as i use up my supplies
smart bunny Posted - 14/06/2012 : 13:03:21
Corno was about 6 months when we moved her up to a 3ft viv from her faun as she was too large for it. It was probably a bit of a jump but I didn't really want to go up in stages so just filled it full of hides and foliage. She's only really started being braver in it the last month or so (but was fine feeding etc otherwise I'd have downsized). Ember on the other hand is just over 6 months and no way is she going in a viv yet! She's a bit long for the faun now, but is a right thin little thing so I think I'll get her an in-between home soon :)

If you are ordering from swell check out their soft chip bedding, it's what I use and is cheaper than aspen :)
viraleye Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:44:52
I tried my 10 month old corn in a 3ft viv the other day and he completely freaked out! He's now back in his little 9ltr RUB and he's happy as Larry.

You Dont need plastic plants, it just gives him an alternative to a hide but also looks pleasing to the eye. As for substrate kitchen roll is perfect for a hatchie but they do really like burrowing in aspen :-)
Bam Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:31:12
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

some people who use flash often stick a cigarette paper over it to reduce its intensity, ive never had any problems though

Thanks
Bam Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:27:28
Lol, its taken me a while to convince my girl friend to let me keep a snake, now she's seen him, he's only been with us three days and she wants one, Already planning on getting a Viv stack for a few

1-0 to me i think
ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:26:53
some people who use flash often stick a cigarette paper over it to reduce its intensity, ive never had any problems though
Bam Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:25:42
Just another quick question guys, Iv only taken one photograph of the snake so far, without the flash, as i was unsure if this would startle him. Is it safe to use a flash on the camera when photographing him, or could this cause him any stress?

ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:21:37
your welcome :) but remember, you wont be able to stop at one ;)
Bam Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:19:57
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

its a good idea to go to this one between the one you have and the 3 footer http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-faunarium-large-flat.html

to give u an idea of growth differences, my snakes only just come out of that last week and he's a year, still think maybe the 3 footer was too much as he hasnt moved lol

Yeah i have looked at those, I was trying to think if mine would be happier in a slightly lager one, but having read what everyone has said i think ill stick with the smaller one for now, and maybe in a couple of months see how big he's getting.

Thanks again for the advice guys, all appreciated!
ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:12:33
its a good idea to go to this one between the one you have and the 3 footer http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-faunarium-large-flat.html

to give u an idea of growth differences, my snakes only just come out of that last week and he's a year, still think maybe the 3 footer was too much as he hasnt moved lol
Okeetee Mick Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:04:03
Welcome to the forum
Bam Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:01:21
Thanks Viraleye, i did look at that guide after i found this website on Monday, only thing i don't have is plastic plants, and a different substrate at the moment. My plastic viv is also smaller, perhaps half the size of the one shown in the guide. I just went for the starter kit, which is all i was told i needed.

So far my shopping list is:
- Aspen Substrate
- Digi Thermometer
- Forceps (for feeding)
- Plastic Plants

MissSnakeHandler Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:58:05
hi and welcome.. my slash was moved into a 3ft when she was 5 months a she looked waaay too big for the plastic setup the pet shops give you.. as long as the snake is big enough not to escape the the pains of glass then it will be fine to place him in a new home when hes big enough. 5 months is definatly enough time in my opinion to place him into a larger viv, but just make sure he looks big enough not to be able to escape through pains of glass and he doesnt look like a worm in the viv..

size is key :)

cant wait to see more pics of the little one :)
viraleye Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:49:22
quote:
Originally posted by Callazagy

Think you mean this viraleye -

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

That's the one!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000