The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MandyH Posted - 21/04/2012 : 15:47:11
Hi All,
I got my son a 6 month old Carolina last week from a reputable pet shop, which however did not give a lot of information on purchase. We handled him the day we got him, & fed him the next day, and only handled him again 2 days later. Only saw on the forums later that we should have left him for at least a week.
He has in the last few days got really agitated when we try & pick him up, thrashing and striking, and not wanting to be handled at all. He is due to be fed again tomorrow.
A few questions if I may, would he behave like that if he is hungry? I am also not sure whether to persevere with trying to handle him, or to leave him for a while to settle down again. I have checked him for signs of shedding, and he doesn't seem to be.
Would appreciate any help, information. Also, are there members in the Milton Keynes area that are contactable for information? Would really like to speak to an experienced owner. Many thanks.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kev 5 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 22:31:47
glad to hear everythings worked out
MandyH Posted - 03/06/2012 : 22:28:26
Hi, just wanted to update on Scooby, after all the great feedback to my questions. He's a bit older than I thought ,9 months, he has shed twice with us, eats very well , unlike my striped African house snake who has no idea of what to do with the pink! He calmed down, got really nippy again, and is now an absolute pleasure to handle! My 12 year old son takes credit, his snake, and he as done a wonderful job of handling him :) He now wants another one!
Donnie Posted - 24/04/2012 : 18:21:40
Wait until the first one is about half way down and snakey is moving around again and then feed the second pinkie.
MandyH Posted - 24/04/2012 : 17:30:07
Hi All, thanks so much for all the positive feedback!
I have decided no to handle him until after his next feed. Which brings me to a question. He digested his last feed really quickly, so want to try giving two pinks on Sunday. Do I need to give them one after the other, or wait for the first one to be digested a bit first?
nusnakemum Posted - 23/04/2012 : 21:09:50
hellooo dont worry too much, the peeps on here are brilliant help - patience is the key with the snakies !!!
Kez Posted - 23/04/2012 : 20:36:14
Hi and welcome along.

Have you had any more luck on the handling front?
Blackcat Posted - 22/04/2012 : 11:31:09
Hi and welcome to the forum
kev 5 Posted - 22/04/2012 : 10:01:34
hello and welcome
ScalySituation Posted - 22/04/2012 : 09:54:39
Schmello :D
Okeetee Mick Posted - 22/04/2012 : 09:51:42
Welcome to the forum, get a thermostat ASAP, they are a necessity whatever setup you have. I always leave mine alone for a week, feed and leave alone for another week to completly settle in.
Georgina Posted - 21/04/2012 : 21:39:34
hi x
Mamma Posted - 21/04/2012 : 21:39:13
Hi and welcome to the forum
MandyH Posted - 21/04/2012 : 17:58:08
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I checked again & he's actually 7 months old. He's in a shoebox size plastic viv, he's probably about 40cm long, and he's eating one pink every Sunday, although tomorrow will be the second time he's fed. We have two thermometers in the viv, but no thermostat as two pet shops told me for the set up I have, I don't need one. The heat mat is underneath a ceramic tile to diffuse the heat. The temperatures seem to be within the ranges stated in the booklets, etc. I have got one of my sons socks to put in with him, which he's had against his skin. The viv has a water bowl and hide, and aspen on the bottom.
343guiltyspark Posted - 21/04/2012 : 16:45:46
When I got Voldemort (my snake) I had to wait 7 days before holding him. Your snake is probably a bit nervous.
Lozzy Posted - 21/04/2012 : 16:28:36
Hi and Welcome :)
Donnie Posted - 21/04/2012 : 16:15:03
Hello and welcome.
gmac Posted - 21/04/2012 : 16:09:40
hi and welcome along, is likely just getting used to new surroundings and smells. It will calm down again given time.
tordyjo Posted - 21/04/2012 : 15:55:47
Hi there and welcome

What is your set up like, did they give you all the info regarding this, like needing a thermostat to control temperatures digital thermometer to measure the temps, how big is your snake and what size house is he in etc that would really help us.

Would probably be worth leaving him now for the 7 days to settle without handling or feeding, he will be fine, how often are you feeding? You could also try the sock trick, carry a clean sock around for a day then put in the viv with the snake and will get him used to your sent, they also pick up on nerves, you need to go in really confident and pick him up without hessitation otherwise they will feel threatened.

Good luck

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000