The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Snake Research

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Primrose22 Posted - 20/04/2012 : 22:27:13
Good evening!

Thought i'd say "Hi" and introduce myself -

I've always been strangely drawn to snakes and have wanted one since i was very young but my parents were horrified at the idea so never had one of my own. Whilst living abroad I was part of a dance troupe and danced a lot with a stunning Yellow Python. She was so beautiful and calm but HUGE and very heavy. However, she was fed on live food which was too much for me to handle so i gave up on the idea of ever having my own snake.

I have since found out that this practice is now illegal in the uk and that frozen food is the norm, so i feel that the time is right to get my own snake (finally!) and think that a corn would be an ideal start.

I've spent weeks researching what the snake will need and have found this forum particularly helpful. Thank-you all for creating such a warm, friendly and informative site!

For the time being i am still learning but will let you know when i finally take the plunge and buy the snake!

I have a couple of initial questions though, if any one has the time :

1) Does the Vivarium have to be set up for a minimum time before introducing the snake ? (you know, like fishtanks ...?) I'm assuming not but need to be sure.

2)we always had the yellow python out with us, she was so massive its not like we couldnt see where she was the whole time! However, with a juvenile corn, i'm not at all sure! I saw some baby ones in the shop and they seem so teeny! How do you let your snakes out for a wander and not loose them ? I've read the thread on finding lost snakes and am already paranoid about it! I appreciate that the younger they are the less you can let them just slither around, but still ...

3) A question to dog + snake owners - did your dog react at all when you got your snake ? My gut feeling is that my Newfoundland will just ignore it totally but again, i want to be sure. Will the the snake pick up on the dog scent and be scared about it ?

Many thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all better,
Emily

Primrose22

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 01/05/2012 : 23:53:56
have no idea what this thread is about anymore

So will say this is not the place for a live feeding debate, in the US the rules are different to here. I also wont have anyone having a go at other members here about having a bloodlust for killing, look at the videos of live feeding produced over here we are just as bad.

No more about live feeding it isnt relevant and doesnt answer any of the original questions.

You have all been warned.
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 23:35:56
And mice got into everything which then in turn infected everyone else. Mice/rats are disease carriers lol.
Redshift Spec Posted - 01/05/2012 : 22:25:37
Woah! I walked in on an unexpected 'live vs frozen' argument....... *slowly walks backwards towards the door*.....

Oooh Slither fyi, it was fleas that carried the plague not mice or rats. Rats just carried the fleas that carried the plague. :)
Redshift Spec Posted - 01/05/2012 : 22:17:24
Hi Primrose, I wouldn't have been able to handle my first few weeks without our little community. I say few weeks but I'm still on here within seconds of something new happening :p
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:43:46
K
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:41:54
as i said, my snakes cannot get out of their enclosures.

and the only mice in my house are the ones in the feezer.
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:39:25
I dont live in a mouse infested house either. But mice have a way to go into houses. My snake pretty much ate them all.
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:29:55
i keep my snake so they cant escape. and i do not believe i have killed the killer instinct, if i were to put a live mouse in there, they would kill it. and even if they did escape, frozen feepers or no, i do not live in a mouse infested house so they would go hungry either way ;)
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:20:30
I really dont like freezer feeders. People like that try to kill the snakes hunting instincts, and if your successful, youll regret it if the snake escapes. My male snow got out a while ago and and hes lived his whole life on live feeders. Im glad too, because if I killed the instinct he would be dead. He was gone for about 3 months until I finally caught him.
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:15:29
feeding live is just as safe and much more healthyer. And a LOT less time consumming. When my snakes hungry, I can throw a mouse in there instantly. You have to thaw it out first.
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:13:28
we changed it by captive breeding them into fancy colours and patterns.

i will continue to feed frozen mice, safe in the knowledge i am doing the best for my snakes.
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:09:00
Im very careful when feeding thank you. If the snake doesnt want it automatically, I take the mouse out. You must really care about something that once carried the Black Plague. Vermin are nasty so I feel no sympathy from feeding it live. And, its a proven fact that if snakes eat live, CAPTIVE BRED mice, they have a higher life rate. But you go ahead and keep feeding your frozen mice. God put them on this planet to be feed other creatures, who are we to change it?
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:05:12
and in the wild snake die from prey bites. i aim to keep my snakes a optimum health, which feeding them frozen is how to do it. i am not willing to risk the life of my snakes for the belief that a fresh mouse that could do harm or have any illness is better than a mouse reared perfectly for its purpose.
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 20:01:44
In the wild, snakes eat live animals. It makes no difference if theyre in captivity.
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 19:59:19
it makes no difference where i am from, its unnecessary what ever country you form or in.
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 19:54:15
Your from UK lol Thats why.
Georgina Posted - 01/05/2012 : 19:48:14
there is no proof that a snake that eats frozen and a snake that eats live are any different. it is cruel on the mouse to breed to kill. and everyone knows the costs invold when getting an animal so i fail to see the reason to live feed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^opinion^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
adamasrc Posted - 01/05/2012 : 19:41:52
well then, thank you. But you can't deny there are a lot of people that live feed as they enjoy watching their snake kill something
Slither.Skaley.Springie Posted - 01/05/2012 : 19:36:29
Your looking at a teen who does it so that my snake can be as healthy as possible. I dont sit there at watch them eat. The only thing I watch is if they get the mouse because I know mice can harm a snake if left in with a snake.
adamasrc Posted - 01/05/2012 : 19:10:23
slither, i know there are bonuses etc and reasons for doing it, just i always see teenagers that think its cool to do so.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000