The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Can't pick the snake up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazarooney Posted - 16/01/2012 : 16:54:36
Hello
I'm new and in need of some help please.my son got the better of me ,we bought the snake spike 12 months ago.he's beautiful coloured.I feed him ,clean his viv and he climbs up the log and let's me get things sorted.I even talk to him.but.........I can't pick him up don't know what happens to me.I open the viv he comes to look but can I pick him up....no I can't.he's gone bigger and bigger about 3 foot.he's just had a new viv and don't know how to move him houses.I can't coax him into the smaller transporter viv as he's too long.I am absolutely useless and I love this snake to bits but I need some help.I can hear you laughing but I need some useful advice here.
Since we've had him from a baby he's not been handled.I'd say twice in his lifetime .he's in a 2 ft by 2ft viv and moving to a 3 ft longer viv.he feeds well but I'm feeding him on 2 fluffs weekly but twice a week.this is a recent thing as I felt the smalls were too big.advice from pet store!!!!!feel free to comment as any advice appreciated.
I need to pick this snake up please help.thanks in advance
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nusnakemum Posted - 02/02/2012 : 09:19:22
Yay good for you - small steps are fine, and he will help you hold him - using his muscles which feels amazing - i was spot cleaning Ernest's tank with him wrapped round my wrist like a bracelet he was holding on to me !!! you are definately getting there [:-)]
Auld Baldy Posted - 02/02/2012 : 03:20:27
Hi Kaz. Little steps forward are better than standing still.

I wouldn't call him too big at 3 feet and I'd say that you would be surprised how wide that mouth will go. Move up to small mice, once every 7 days. Betcha it slides down no problem. As a rough guide you should see a noticeable bulge as the mouse moves down. It is better to give one feed and a decent time to digest and rest the digestive system between feeds, rather than little and often. I bet he could probably handle 2 small mice in one go. Try with one first and step it up next time if there isn't a bulge.

Get your son to take him out and have a towel over both your laps. Let him come to you and let him get used to you handling him for a minute and let him go back to your son. The towel is just for a safety net but believe me, you won't drop him. Step this up in stages, you put him back. Next time you take him out, have a play and put him back.

Go for it and we will all chip in for a Terry's Chocolate Orange for you. x
Kazarooney Posted - 02/02/2012 : 02:32:10
Hello all again spikes still getting talked too and not picked up!!!!I know I'm useless.iv decided I know what the problem is he's too big and I think if something goes wrong and I drop him I'll hurt him.I can't make any more excuses coz it's doing my head in so after this feed once he's settled I will get him out.
Spike could be ernests brother as he's the spit and image of him.
Anyway more advice please my spike is 3 ft long at least an inch n half wide .his food doesn't touch the sides.what size mice do you think he should be on???
Oh just for an update.iv managed to pick him up inside the viv but bottled it bringing him out!!!
It's an improvement.I'll leave him now he's fed xxxtalk to you soon kaz
smart bunny Posted - 24/01/2012 : 16:35:24
Good luck Kaz - you can do it!
nusnakemum Posted - 24/01/2012 : 12:10:03
you will do it and then you,ll love holding him ! Coo at him like he,s a baby when you go to get him out and it might make you feel less anxious if u think of him as a cutesy itsy bitsy thing !!!! poor old Ernest has to put up with a lot of baby talk from me !!!!
scottishbluebird Posted - 24/01/2012 : 01:04:12
Have you tried getting someone to take him out then you take him?
Auld Baldy Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:15:18
Stick with it Kaz. We're all rootin' & tootin' for you.
Kazarooney Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:03:33
Hi everyone i feel so stupid but I'll have this snake in my hand by the end of the week????I hope .......thanks for all the advice it really helps....just wanted to let you know I am keeping up with what you tell me and wanted to say hello and thank you xx
Redshift Spec Posted - 22/01/2012 : 22:56:57
You'll get there. It sounds stupid but the more confident you are the easier it is and the more the snake will enjoy it. I dig around in the aspen for mine when it is play time. He won't bite and you wont be able to hurt him (unless you've got a 'hulk grip' going on).
Auld Baldy Posted - 22/01/2012 : 22:32:49
Just scoop him up and put him in the box. Let him know that you are the boss. You will not scare him. Once he figurs out that there is a reward of a mouse at the end of the 'ordeal' he will soon be eating out of your hand.

As long as he is getting the mouse eventually, don't worry about it.

Promoted to "Semi-wimp" status for trying.
Kazarooney Posted - 22/01/2012 : 21:20:32
Hello all
I'm still no further on!!!iv fed him and the small didn't look like it touched the sides!!!!he's getting sooooo big!!!!,
Thank you for all your advice I am trying but not quite there yet.
Any ideas how to coax him into the transporter viv??he seems to egnore his food till he literally bumps into it!!!!!
I just don't want him to disappear into the house!!!
At the minute with me being at wimp status I dont want to scare him!!!
Thanks
LucyCherish Posted - 17/01/2012 : 20:36:20
Like all of the other say, just take it one step at a time and make sure u feel comfortable and relaxed with what you are doing, i'll be honest when i got sammy last week,i hadnt handled snakes in a long time and i wasnt sure of the previous conditions she had been in or if she had even been handled, so we bring her home (in the plastic box she had lived in) i gently took the lid off and as i slowly moved my hand in she jumped which made me move my hand back quite quickly just an instinct, but i moved in slower the next time leaving my hand still so she could have a smell and realise i meant no harm and from then on started handling her in short periods gradually building up and now i cant get enough! you have recieved some amazing advice from other owners on here, just take that one small step...:-) let us know how u get on xx
herriotfan Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:28:26
From what you've already said I don't think it will be too difficult to just pick the snake up. He's quite happy for you to do the cleaning etc in his viv so it should be fairly easy to move on a step. You've had really good advice so be brave and go for it! You'll be so chuffed once you have!
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/01/2012 : 18:08:32
I can easily handle two fluffs ... as long as they are dipped in melted chocolate and then deep fried in batter.

Canny beat traditional Scottish cuisine.
Mort13 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 13:43:52
No ones going to laugh,we've all been through the nervousness of having to pick up our first snake. I was used to handling snakes but had never actually picked one up till I got my first and I was so nervous of hurting him or something that I was shaking!
Auld Baldy has given excellent advice there. I'm sure if he can handle 2 fluffs he'll have no problems with a small.
Good luck.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:56:11
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

We are not laughing. Just take it a stage at a time. The more confident you are, the more relaxed your snake will become.

Try just putting your hand into the viv and as he already comes to you, let him have a sniff and let him crawl over your hand if he wants. Once he gets used to your scent and has been 'handled' in this way a few times he will eventually be happy to be taken out for an extended 'walk'.

Maybe try moving up to a small mouse once a week. You will be amazed at how easily it can slip down.

So deep breath and go for it. The enjoyment from a friendly corn is worth the effort of overcoming your fear

Welcome to the forum, good advice.
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:31:43
We are not laughing. Just take it a stage at a time. The more confident you are, the more relaxed your snake will become.

Try just putting your hand into the viv and as he already comes to you, let him have a sniff and let him crawl over your hand if he wants. Once he gets used to your scent and has been 'handled' in this way a few times he will eventually be happy to be taken out for an extended 'walk'.

Maybe try moving up to a small mouse once a week. You will be amazed at how easily it can slip down.

So deep breath and go for it. The enjoyment from a friendly corn is worth the effort of overcoming your fear
nusnakemum Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:08:18
i was nervous when i first got our snake - but it just takes practice very soon i was just diving in and gently scooping him out with no fear whatsoever and you will too once you do it the first time,just take your time be calm and enjoy it !
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/01/2012 : 17:54:12
Hi and welcome have a read of this, might help!
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20737

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000